Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plans for a real cone rolling machine

I am looking for plans for a real cone rolling machine like the frost model
479.
You can see the model at the link below;
http://www.frostrochdale.com/bending_rolls.php

If you have somthing about this item please give a mail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I cant imagine you will find any published plans for this.
Although a few US manufacturers made machines like this before the
first world war, my guess is that the total world market for machines
like this is below a couple of hundred a year.
In other words, tiny.
Just finding one in the flesh to copy is going to be quite difficult.
I have seen a lot of sheet metal equipment, and I have never seen one
of these outside of a woodcut in a 80 year old catalog.
Pexto made one right around 1900, but not since, as far as I know.

Plans of any sort for sheet metalworking machines tend to be for very
simple, very low quality, light gage and simple machines.
Like Gingery plans for slip rolls, which, frankly, are of much lower
quality and usefulness than your average chinese import.
The only reason to build these machines is cost.
And generally, anyone who has the tools and equipment to do it right
can make more money at their real job than they would save making one
themselves.
No manufacturer, even if patents have expired, likes plans out there
of a machine they sell, so they dont make it easy, and often will send
cease and desist letters even if they arent 100% legally correct.

All that said, I would copy the design of a rotary machine, like a
Roper Whitney 622
http://roperwhitney.com/beading/1-67.cfm
And then replace the standard rolls with cones.

Frankly, I would just buy a chinese or taiwanese rotary machine, as
the casting, gears, and adjustment mechanisms on a $500 Jet or Grizzly
are better than I could make for that amount.
Then, I would lathe turn the cone shaped rolls.
Without a real machine to study and copy, there will inevitably be
some fine tuning of the third roll adjustment mechanism.
Rotary machines only have two rolls, but one is adjustable for height.
Two driven rolls ought to do it, for thin sheet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ries wrote:
[...]

looks to me like the cone rolls are mounted at an angle to bring their
points together? how small of a cones are you rolling ?

looks like a good project.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ries writes:

No manufacturer, even if patents have expired, likes plans out there
of a machine they sell, so they dont make it easy, and often will send
cease and desist letters even if they arent 100% legally correct.

Often, eh? On what basis does such a firm make demands agin someone for
publishing mere facts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 2:54 pm, "Tjark" wrote:
I am looking for plans for a real cone rolling machine like the frost model
479.
You can see the model at the link below;http://www.frostrochdale.com/bending_rolls.php

If you have somthing about this item please give a mail.

These might serve as a good starting point for the cones depending on
the size of machine that you are thinking about building.

http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KSWCONE

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As long as the firm has enough validity in their claims to keep from
getting slapped with frivolous litigation penalties, they will do such
things. You can hire a lawyer to contest the claims or you can cease and
desist. Your choice, your dollars.

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ries writes:

No manufacturer, even if patents have expired, likes plans out there
of a machine they sell, so they dont make it easy, and often will send
cease and desist letters even if they arent 100% legally correct.

Often, eh? On what basis does such a firm make demands agin someone for
publishing mere facts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ writes:

As long as the firm has enough validity in their claims ...

What possible claim can be made against publishing facts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:31:57 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

RoyJ writes:

As long as the firm has enough validity in their claims ...

What possible claim can be made against publishing facts?

That's not the point. The point is that if they choose to spend the
money, they can sic a speaking weasel on you for nothing at all.
Far too many frivolous lawsuits still get past the gatekeepers.
That's only one of the ways our legal system is broken.

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ writes:

As long as the firm has enough validity in their claims ...

What possible claim can be made against publishing facts?

That's not the point. The point is that if they choose to spend the
money, they can sic a speaking weasel on you for nothing at all.

I lost a good job when the company was bought and the competition
sued, claiming that it was Unfair that the largest ATE company had
bought the one with the best technology.
They lost, but the defense tied up senior engineering long enough that
we lost market timing.

At another place I had to defend myself for using the "trade secret"
thermistor liquid level sensing technique that I had actually seen in
the Low Fuel warning light on my car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Considering the number of homeless who are murdered each year, its
not a bad idea.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Disney, Microsoft, and other big companies throw their weight around,
legally or illegally, all the time.
Currently, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are suing Showtime over the term
"Californication" claiming that since they titled their 1999 album by
that name, they somehow own the word. I am sure I saw bumper stickers
as early as the 70's saying "Dont Californicate Washington" up here in
Washington State, but whoever can pay the most lawyers wins in the
end.

All that is a sideshow, however.

The more interesting question is-

Are there ANY plans available for building decent, commercial quality
sheet metal equipment?
Forget things as complicated and obscure as this cone roller- I have
never seen a reasonable plan for something as simple as a slip roll or
a finger brake.

I purchased the Gingery book on building your own brake- its a joke.
Where I live, minimum wage is $7.75 an hour- and I could work at
McDonalds, and make the money to buy a chinese import that would be 3
times the machine faster than I could build the silly Gingery brake.
It is designed, not to do the job, but to resemble a brake, made from
the cheapest materials in the easiest way.

There are a couple plans for Hossfeld knockoffs on the dropbox, but
they tend to ignore the features that make a hossfeld actually work,
and they are usually not compatible with Hossfeld dies, which seems
kinda silly.

I have seen a couple of plans for fixed, not slip, rollers, that are
very limited in size and capacity, and would again be more work than
just buying one from Grizzly.

The only "plans" on the internet I have ever found that were actually
worth using, were the CADPLANS for front end loaders for a tractor.
And they are far from free- I think I paid $150 for them. But when I
built the loader, it did everything it said it would, and 7 or 8 years
later, its still working away on my little Yanmar Diesel tractor. And
even buying new hydraulics, it cost about a third of a retail priced
new one.

But tools, especially sheet metal tools?
Who would draw such plans?
Why would they do it?
If they had the skill to design a brake, or a set of rolls, that did
not infringe on any existing patents, that worked well, and was
salable, why the heck wouldnt they just sell the tool, at a much
higher profit margin?
The CadPlans guy does not get rich selling his plans for $150, and yet
everybody complains.
To actually do decent plans for a finger brake, you would need to
build a few- make sure they work right, figure out true capacity,
etc.
And to do it right, you would need a decent machine shop, and probably
send out castings.
Suddenly, you are talking real money.

Sure, there are plans for model steam engines and trains- but these
are the hobbies of wealthy retired guys. And even then, most of them
require a decent machine shop.
If you have the money, and the skills, to acquire a machine shop,
chances are you will just buy a brake from Grizzly if you need one.

This cone roller is a bit different though- as far as I know, there
are only a couple of manufacturers in the world, and they get the high
prices for em- 1600 pounds is almost 3 grand US. I think the italians
may also make one, similarly priced.
Its a very small market, and they can get away asking these prices.
But because its a small market, there would be no market for plans-
how many could you sell? a dozen sets?

If you really need a machine like this, building one might be
feasible- but it would not be easy or cheap.

Another thing to consider is that the original poster is in the
Netherlands- where cheap tools are much harder to come by- here in the
USA, there are often deals to be found on old sheet metal equipment,
but in northern europe, they are rare and usually pretty expensive.
And there are far fewer cheap chinese imports available- Here, I would
start with a Jet or Grizzly rotary machine, for $500 or so, and turn
my own cones, and start from there- but in Europe, I dont know how
available, or cheap, the chinese sheet metal equipment is.

None of this answers his question, of course.
I would love to know of a source for good plans- but I really doubt it
exists.
Somebody prove me wrong.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:07:55 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Considering the number of homeless who are murdered each year, its
not a bad idea.

Unfortunately..if we did, the suicide rate would spike a peak that
would reach to the moon.

Which wouldnt be all that bad...shrug. Not having to dodge piles of
human feces when parked in alleys behind machine shops would be
nice...

Gunner