Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chainsaw sharpening redux

I got out my Craftsman chain saw sharpener and found out that my
instructions had been fused into one stiff piece of cardboard instead of
several folded sheets when it was new. A query to Sears produced no
decipherable results.

So, I took the simple silver dollar sized sharpening guide provided by
Husquvarna with the saw and gave each tooth twenty strokes.

Went out and dueled with horizontal trees. Worked just fine.

I realize that dirt, sand, and rocks are the sworn enemy of any chain saw.
You can dull a saw in two seconds on said materials.

Nuff said.

Except, I personally think that you can be too picky on some things. Just
like knives, if you know the angle, and pay attention, it ain't rocket
surgery.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 1:34 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I got out my Craftsman chain saw sharpener and found out that my
instructions had been fused into one stiff piece of cardboard instead of
several folded sheets when it was new. A query to Sears produced no
decipherable results.

So, I took the simple silver dollar sized sharpening guide provided by
Husquvarna with the saw and gave each tooth twenty strokes.

Went out and dueled with horizontal trees. Worked just fine.

I realize that dirt, sand, and rocks are the sworn enemy of any chain saw.
You can dull a saw in two seconds on said materials.

Nuff said.

Except, I personally think that you can be too picky on some things. Just
like knives, if you know the angle, and pay attention, it ain't rocket
surgery.

Steve

Good to hear it.
The Husky guide is a good handle to pull the hot oily chain forwards.
I file a notch to mark the starting and ending point if the chain
doesn't already have an obvious one, like two right cutters together.

Rocket surgery, huh? Lithium battery surgery is more than enough for
me. Don't nick a hypergolic artery.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think 20 stroke is way too much. I use 4. If the chain has hit a
nail or a rock, I still take 4 strokes all the way around. Then go back
and take 4 more until the offending tooth or two are totally cleaned up.
With 20 strokes you will be shortening the life of the chain
unnecessarily.

Pete Stanaitis

SteveB wrote:
I got out my Craftsman chain saw sharpener and found out that my
instructions had been fused into one stiff piece of cardboard instead of
several folded sheets when it was new. A query to Sears produced no
decipherable results.

So, I took the simple silver dollar sized sharpening guide provided by
Husquvarna with the saw and gave each tooth twenty strokes.

Went out and dueled with horizontal trees. Worked just fine.

I realize that dirt, sand, and rocks are the sworn enemy of any chain saw.
You can dull a saw in two seconds on said materials.

Nuff said.

Except, I personally think that you can be too picky on some things. Just
like knives, if you know the angle, and pay attention, it ain't rocket
surgery.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 1:47 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"spaco" wrote in message
I think 20 stroke is way too much.
Pete Stanaitis

I thought it was working TOO good. I'll tone it down.
Steve

3 and check with a finger, ignore the occasional bad one so I don't
shorten the chain. The file doesn't sharpen them enough to actually
cut my calloused finger although a grinder or Dremel diamond will.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 1:34 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I got out my Craftsman chain saw sharpener and found out that my
instructions had been fused into one stiff piece of cardboard instead of
several folded sheets when it was new. A query to Sears produced no
decipherable results.

So, I took the simple silver dollar sized sharpening guide provided by
Husquvarna with the saw and gave each tooth twenty strokes.

Went out and dueled with horizontal trees. Worked just fine.

I realize that dirt, sand, and rocks are the sworn enemy of any chain saw.
You can dull a saw in two seconds on said materials.

Nuff said.

Except, I personally think that you can be too picky on some things. Just
like knives, if you know the angle, and pay attention, it ain't rocket
surgery.

Steve

20 strokes? either your file is worn out or you chain was used as a
narrow rototiller

You get a few sharpenings from a file, not a few dozen, after that you
are wasting time.

chainsaw sharpening help TomNie Woodturning 8 October 18th 07 06:58 PM
OT 'ish: Chainsaw Sharpening Kit Mike Woodworking 12 October 24th 06 05:04 PM
Chainsaw sharpening [email protected] Metalworking 2 December 20th 05 02:53 AM
Chainsaw redux SteveB Metalworking 18 October 4th 05 03:54 AM
Chainsaw chain sharpening granpaw Metalworking 43 September 30th 05 04:59 AM