Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear/Power steering pump.

Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sure, they work just fine, assuming you get the rotation right. We
had a home brew EDM for years, P/S pump circulated hyd fluid. It was
run by a 1/3 hp motor. (But, it only needed to move a cyl with a few
pounds load.) So, as to hp, it depends on the load, not the pump.

What are your flow and pressure requirements?
Dave

On Dec 16, 7:23 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Dave. I though so but wanted to ask.

I want to empty 55 gallon barrels in around 5 minutes. These will contain
oil. Pressure is not critical. Self-priming is very important.

j/b

On Dec 16, 7:23 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a
motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

j/b
10 GPM is a lot.

I don't think you are going to get it with a single P/S pump. I think
they are more in the 1 GPM range (and a few hundred psi). Maybe with
the proper belt/pulley. If you have the pump at the barrel head, self
priming should not be a problem. A 5/8" garden hose only puts out ~3
gpm. Even if you run a P/S pump at high rpm's, I think you are going
to starve the pump, since the inlet is too small.
Dave

On Dec 16, 7:23 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a
motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave,

I THINK that the pump I now have is a gear pump. It will empty a barrel in
~ 10 minutes and is driven by an 1/3 horse motor.

I will verify this tomorrow. It is not a p.s. pump but I am pretty sure
that it is a gear pump.

Will give update tomorrow.

On Dec 16, 7:23 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a
motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and
what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 7:23 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a
motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

At low pressure head a good older american PS pump should approach
5GPM.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:14:05 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Dave,

I THINK that the pump I now have is a gear pump. It will empty a barrel in
~ 10 minutes and is driven by an 1/3 horse motor.

I will verify this tomorrow. It is not a p.s. pump but I am pretty sure
that it is a gear pump.

Will give update tomorrow.

Here ya go. vroom, vroom, vroom
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1326&catname=

Or here for all fluid transfer pumps:
http://tinyurl.com/3afd5v Most are 6gpm while the one above is
200gpm.

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote in message
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by
putting a motor on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering
pumps and what h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

10 GPM would take a 1.32 cu. in. positive displacement pump
direct coupled to a 1725
RPM motor. That's at 100%----realistically you would need a
pump in the 1.5 cu. in.
area.

Power steering pump is too small. Look around for a small
gear pump. Cessna,
Webster and Prince are common brands for small aluminum
cased cheap gear pumps.

If you get a motor with a C face on it, use a Buckeye flange
and a Lovejoy style coupler
to assemble it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Something along these lines
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic
1.5 cubic inches per rev, brand new, $100

BillM wrote:
"jusme" wrote in message
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by
putting a motor on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering
pumps and what h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b

10 GPM would take a 1.32 cu. in. positive displacement pump
direct coupled to a 1725
RPM motor. That's at 100%----realistically you would need a
pump in the 1.5 cu. in.
area.

Power steering pump is too small. Look around for a small
gear pump. Cessna,
Webster and Prince are common brands for small aluminum
cased cheap gear pumps.

If you get a motor with a C face on it, use a Buckeye flange
and a Lovejoy style coupler
to assemble it.

power steering reservoirs [email protected] Metalworking 3 September 3rd 07 06:17 PM
Power Steering Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 03:56 PM
FA: hydraulic pump, right angle gear drive, very heavy caster, Oil pump from large milling machine William B Noble (don't reply to this address) Metalworking 0 April 26th 06 07:29 AM
Power Steering Fluid Spill [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 25th 06 02:05 AM
Brazing power steering fluid tank John Ings Metalworking 2 August 21st 04 10:01 PM