Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default c45

Is a set screw with a rockwell hardness of c45 too hard
to turn down with a HSS bit?

Or in other words what would be the maximum B & C numbers
that could be cut with HSS?

Thanks,
Wayne D.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:
Is a set screw with a rockwell hardness of c45 too hard
to turn down with a HSS bit?

Or in other words what would be the maximum B & C numbers
that could be cut with HSS?

Thanks,
Wayne D.

I use HSS tooling to modify setscrew and socket head cap screws all the
time. Not to be a smart ass but as long as it's softer than the tool
you should be able to make it work. I recently had to make some cone
point set screws, I used HSS tool bits and held the setscrews in a 5C
collet. Actually you get a nice finish quite easily.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:
Is a set screw with a rockwell hardness of c45 too hard
to turn down with a HSS bit?
Or in other words what would be the maximum B & C numbers
that could be cut with HSS?
Thanks,
Wayne D.

I use HSS tooling to modify setscrew and socket head cap screws all the
time. Not to be a smart ass but as long as it's softer than the tool
you should be able to make it work. I recently had to make some cone
point set screws, I used HSS tool bits and held the setscrews in a 5C
collet. Actually you get a nice finish quite easily.

Regards
Paul

Thanks! I didn't have any concept on how hard the setscrew was in
relation to HSS. If the hardness of the set screw wasn't listed, I
would've just gotten and cut them without thinking about it.

Wayne D.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
Wayne wrote:
[...]

High speed steel, professionally hardened, typically runs from Rc 64 to Rc
72. The high end is the exotic powder-metallurgy steels.

The upper limit for workpiece hardness, for cutting with HSS tools, usually
is taken to be Rc 40 - 45. So you're right at the margin. Above Rc 40, tool
life goes to pot in a hurry. Above Rc 45, you're better off with something
else, but you can get away with some limited cutting if tool life isn't an
issue.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 4:44 pm, Wayne wrote:
Is a set screw with a rockwell hardness of c45 too hard
to turn down with a HSS bit?

Or in other words what would be the maximum B & C numbers
that could be cut with HSS?

Thanks,
Wayne D.

If they are too hard you could temper or anneal them. A soldering iron
is about right.