Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Centrifuge Wanted.

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "jusme"
wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Have you tried making one from a washing machine (spin cycle)?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Have you tried making one from a washing machine (spin cycle)?

Wow, that's exactly what just popped into my mind
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:51:54 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

Gee, I wonder if an old dairy cream separator will work...

(Don't reinvent the wheel. Find something that is adaptable.)

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think it spins fast enough. Wish I was wrong.

j/b

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "jusme"
wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Have you tried making one from a washing machine (spin cycle)?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In my research, I have seen that the cream separators don't work for veg.
oil.

If I could find a cheap one, I would certainly try it.

j/b

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:51:54 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

Gee, I wonder if an old dairy cream separator will work...

(Don't reinvent the wheel. Find something that is adaptable.)

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

jusme wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom, thanks for the link but there are a godzillion of them.

Is there anything there to which you wish to direct my attention? If so,
where, I am not young and may expire before I peruse the entire site.

Thanks

j/b

"Tom" wrote in message
jusme wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

"Tom" wrote in message

jusme wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/

How tired are you?
You want I should build it for you too?
Second paragraph on that page leads you he
http://vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/products.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am pretty tired. However, are you able to show me the centrifuge on that
page/link?

Well, have you ever built one?

j/b

"Tom" wrote in message

jusme wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/

How tired are you?
You want I should build it for you too?
Second paragraph on that page leads you he
http://vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/products.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:51:54 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Centrifuges need to spin pretty fast. When i was in the US Navy, there
wee two different lube oil separators. One was made by Sharples and
the other was a Delaval. They spun the oil real fast and separated the
oil from water and contaminants.
The basic cylinder has a dam in the top so it would keep a prime of
water in the cylinder. When you started the machine up, the cylinder
was dry. After it got up to speed, a bucket of water was poured into
the priming hole. That filled the cylinder with water. The excess
water was expelled out the top of the cylinder until there was a wall
of water inside the cylinder. Then the suction valve was opened and
the cylinder filled with a wall of oil, inside the diameter of the
water wall.
There was a three-wing assembly in the Sharples that spun the oil and
the water at the same speed. The Delaval had a stack of what looked
like funnels upside down to spin the oil and water. Any water in the
oil would spin outward and go into the wall of water already in the
cylinder. Any dirt would move through the wall of water and stick to
the inside of the cylinder.
They listed several sizes of dams for the cylinders. The dams are for
different viscosities of oil.

You can see what one looks like here.
http://www.aaronequipment.com/UsedEq...per/19780.html

As you can see, this would be pretty hard to build.
So what are you trying to acomplish?

If your just trying to clean up the oil before burning it in your
diesel truck, Heat to 180 deg in the tank for a few days and all the
stuff will settle out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting, Dan.

I wonder what the prime of water was for, to keep it stable or a load on it?

I already settle the oil. I want a faster method and perhaps go portable,
too.

j/b
"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

"Tom" wrote in message

jusme wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Has anyone made the centrifuge itself such as simplecentrifuge.com is
selling?

Thanks

j/b.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/

How tired are you?
You want I should build it for you too?
Second paragraph on that page leads you he
http://vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/products.html

You're into instant fixes, aren't you?
The page I pointed you to, had plans available.
As for building one, you got the money, I might
have time in 2010.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:30:32 +1300, Tom
wrote:

You're into instant fixes, aren't you?
The page I pointed you to, had plans available.
As for building one, you got the money, I might
have time in 2010.

Don't do that, I did once and it came back on me. A customer kept
pestering me to check out the wiring on her dolls house to finish it
up and get all the lights I had sold her to work. Knowing her, I had a
dread of getting involved so finally told her I would look at it a
year from next Christmas. Sure enough, almost two years latter on
boxing day she showed up with the house in her van. Surprisingly there
was very little to do to get everything working and in recognition of
her patience and persistence I didn't charge her for any of the work I
did.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 9:12 pm, "jusme" wrote:
[...]

I'm going to guess that if you had an actual contiguous oil/water
interface you could draw off produced water, but if you spun just the
oil you'd get drops of water against the wall, but you would never get
the drops to coelesce into something you could pull off.

You probably ran a godawful amount of oil through this puppy, and had
to scrap the last bit of oil in the machine.

Guessing...

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:12:59 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Interesting, Dan.

I wonder what the prime of water was for, to keep it stable or a load on it?

I already settle the oil. I want a faster method and perhaps go portable,
too.

j/b

It's a complicated thing to understand, but the water stayed inside
the cylinder, like a sleeve. The oil, being lighter than water rode on
the surface of the water. Any water that was in the oil migrates into
the water sleeve.
We settled a tank of lube oil for a week or something like that. The
guys were running it through the purifier and into a storage tank.
After they were done, the oil looked like crap. It was cloudy and
milky.
Back to the settling tank it went for a few more days.
I finally decided to set up the purifier and get it running on the
settling tank. I primed it and opened the suction valve only a little.
The oil came out beautiful, crystal clear and shiny. I was putting it
in the storage tank.
See, with the suction valve open only a little, the oil spent a lot of
time under centrifugal force. I fed it oil real slow. On my 6 hr
watch, it cleaned about 1/4 of the 1000 gal tank.
The next watch came on and opened the suction valve all the way and
got it done in a hurry, 3 hours. Guess what the oil looked like?
Moral of the story is that the oil needs time in the centrifuge to
clean up. Nothing is fast, except to buy new oil. Also, the oil needs
to be heated to 160F before going into the centrifuge.
Again, I'll ask what your doing? You might be better off with a filter
or a clarifier. What are you trying to acomplish?
We've used a portable oil filter that takes filter that looks like a
roll of toilet paper, the big rolls, 12" dia. or something like that.
It had a 1/2hp motor on it and it filtered to 1 micron at 1 gallon per
minute.
I'll look for the information when I get back. I need to help my
Daughter with a homework assignment. We need to go to Dairy Queen and
do some research. :-)
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Your pretty close Dave,
The steam turbines in the US Navy all have lube oil purifiers on them
and they are required to operate 12 hrs per day when the engine is
running, every day. The unit got shutoff on the 8 -12 watch and night
and the 12 - 4 am watch cleaned it. Oh how I hated to clean that dam
thing.
the new ships have gas turbines on them and the purifiers for the fuel
are HUGE. The bowls are about the size of a washing machine drum.
there was a permanent chain fall over them just to take it apart. 40
hp or something like that.
We filtered the oil constantly. After 7 years in the engine, it looked
perfect. Shiny and crystal clear.

You probably ran a godawful amount of oil through this puppy, and had
to scrap the last bit of oil in the machine.

Guessing...

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:12:59 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I have also come across small portable centrifuge design for limited batch
filtering used oil. I am not sure the smaller centrifuge can be adjusted for
various viscosity and micron of particles. The smaller machine is made in China.

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:46:36 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Please tell me more, John. Everything that you know about it will do fine.

Thanks

How about using a very fine mesh screen. We use them to filter oil. We
use 100 mesh stainless steel screen from McMaster Carr. 100 x 100 mesh
is 5 micron, I think. You can clean it out and re-use it forever.
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:46:36 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I think I know what you are looking for. I used to work in a mid size
manufacturing company we operate many multi-spindles lathe. I design a system
that continuously filters the cutting oil, removing sludge, metal and water. We
use a Delaval separator with a heater, a few tanks, pumps, valves and lot of
piping. However, this is not what you are looking for. You need a small portable
centrifuge or separator that will separate either used engine or cooking oil
right? During the designing stages I came across a very small portable one
weighing about 30 lbs and costing less than $200, it's made in China. Give me a
few days for me to find the flyer and I will post the spec. here. I cannot
guarantee you if you can buy them.

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:28:04 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Dan,

Screen won't separate water unless frozen, a proper centrifuge will.

Didn't you say you already settled the water out?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Fine, John.

Dieselcraft makes one but it is small and pricey and requires air pressure.

I am looking forward to what you find.

j/b

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan,

I said that I already settle the oil but then I boil it to drive the water
out but I want a faster method and a centrifuge will do what I want.

j/b