Real leaves dipped in metal

Old December 10th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Real leaves dipped in metal

Sorry to jump in here without any history in the group, but does
anyone know if the process to make leaves permanent (veins of real
leaves are made semi-transparent through a filigree process-they are
dipped in liquid metal and every leaf vein becomes visible) is one of
those dangerous-chemical-bath-metal-process things that the ordinary
lay crafter can't do at home?

If anyone has knowledge or experience of this process, I'd appreciate
some input here in this group. Thanks!

N.
Old December 11th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I believe this is a casting process, not a plating process = put leaves in a
mold, heat and shake out ashes, pour in moltan metal - but perhaps someone
else has done this - you can also spray on a conductive paint and then plate
them

Old December 11th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote:I believe this is a casting process, not a plating
process = put leaves in a
mold, heat and shake out ashes, pour in moltan metal - but perhaps someone
else has done this - you can also spray on a conductive paint and then
plate them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bill, what you are describing is certainly possible, but I don't think it's
what the OP is after. It would produce a casting of the entire leaf. I
have seen leaves that have had only the membranes removed, with the skeleton
remaining. If this were then sprayed with a conductive coating and plated,
I think it would produce the result the OP wants: a leaf skeleton in gold.

Old December 11th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 1:28 pm, Nancy2 wrote:
Sorry to jump in here without any history in the group, but does
anyone know if the process to make leaves permanent (veins of real
leaves are made semi-transparent through a filigree process-they are
dipped in liquid metal and every leaf vein becomes visible) is one of
those dangerous-chemical-bath-metal-process things that the ordinary
lay crafter can't do at home?

If anyone has knowledge or experience of this process, I'd appreciate
some input here in this group. Thanks!

N.

I believe the "filigree process" is biological, i.e. rotting, (or
retting to sound fancy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retting )
I recall doing this as a child, we soaked leaves in water for some
time (don't remember how long, days certainly, maybe weeks, this not a
one afternoon project) then gently rubbed off the gunk. We stopped
there, but the leaf could them be coated with conductive coating and
plated like Leo said, (probably not a "lay crafter" project) or they
could be coated with a thin bodied "metallic" paint.
Old December 11th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 3:28 pm, Nancy2 wrote:
Sorry to jump in here without any history in the group, but does
anyone know if the process to make leaves permanent (veins of real
leaves are made semi-transparent through a filigree process-they are
dipped in liquid metal and every leaf vein becomes visible) is one of
those dangerous-chemical-bath-metal-process things that the ordinary
lay crafter can't do at home?

If anyone has knowledge or experience of this process, I'd appreciate
some input here in this group. Thanks!

N.

This is a process called "lost wax" casting. The leaf is carefully
cast into a plaster mold. Heated until the leaf is burned out and
molten metal (silver, gold, bronze) is applied by a centrifugal
casting machine. The fragility of the leaf makes the initial molding
somewhat difficult, but with practice the result are repeatable.
Simplified explanation.
Google "Lost Wax".
-M
Old December 11th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nancy2 writes:

Sorry to jump in here without any history in the group, but does
anyone know if the process to make leaves permanent (veins of real
leaves are made semi-transparent through a filigree process-they are
dipped in liquid metal and every leaf vein becomes visible) is one of
those dangerous-chemical-bath-metal-process things that the ordinary
lay crafter can't do at home?

There is a crafts fair where someone sells jewelry based on this.
I can't think of the name of the crafter, but it can be done.

Old December 11th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce Barnett writes:

There is a crafts fair where someone sells jewelry based on this.
I can't think of the name of the crafter, but it can be done.

Let me be clear. The leaves are metalicized, and you can see the main veins.
It's more of a coating, and not a process that dissolves the non-vein parts.

Each item is unique (it's not a lost wax process).

Old December 11th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Nancy2 wrote:

Sorry to jump in here without any history in the group, but does
anyone know if the process to make leaves permanent (veins of real
leaves are made semi-transparent through a filigree process-they are
dipped in liquid metal and every leaf vein becomes visible) is one of
those dangerous-chemical-bath-metal-process things that the ordinary
lay crafter can't do at home?

The ones that I am familiar with are electroplated. Getting the original
object to take the initial plating is one problem, doing a decent job on
the plating as a whole and stopping at the correct point is another
problem. Some of the solutions are fairly nasty, especially if going for
gold plating, as far as I recall. Not unfeasible to do at home, but
quite possibly more trouble than it's worth to do at home, considering
all factors - toxicity of solutions, hazardous waste disposal, fume
ventilation, etc. You'd want a dedicated locked space so children and
pets can't get into stuff.

Old December 11th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"William Noble" wrote:I believe this is a casting process, not a plating
process = put leaves in a
mold, heat and shake out ashes, pour in moltan metal - but perhaps someone
else has done this - you can also spray on a conductive paint and then
plate them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bill, what you are describing is certainly possible, but I don't think it's
what the OP is after. It would produce a casting of the entire leaf. I
have seen leaves that have had only the membranes removed, with the skeleton
remaining. If this were then sprayed with a conductive coating and plated,
I think it would produce the result the OP wants: a leaf skeleton in gold.

What the OP is looking for is vacuum metallization.

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dep/va...allization.htm
http://www.vacucoat.com/

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!