Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Smoothing a rough hole--suggestions?

I've got a passage in a die head that I need to smooth up.
Looks like it was drilled
and nothing further was done to it. Material is hardened
P20. Hole is 18mm straight
with a through length of 12-13 inches. I need to get the
inside smooth/polished with
no visible surface pits. scratches, drill marks etc.
Estimate I'll have to open it up
10-15 thousandths to get below the worst of the grooves.

Hole goes through, but I only have 1 1/2" clearance on the
back end, so everything has to be done from one end. Final
diameter, concentricity, straightness and taper aren't
important. I would actually like it to finish with a slight
taper, smaller at the rear.

Mounted points, followed by Cratex and then polishing
compound on a felt bob?
Expanding carbide reamer first to get it smoothed up a bit?
Flex-Hone and a brass lap?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BillM wrote:
[...]

Ream as smooth as you can then go at it with on of those hone brushes
(looks like a bottle brush but with small abrasive balls on each
bristle) powered by an air drill or equivalent. For final finish use a
'butterfly rod' which is nothing more than a 1/4 rod with a saw kerf
splitting the end for an inch or so, into that slit place a length of
folded length wise abrasive cloth, power the 'butterfly rod with a die
grinder for higher RPM. Use progressively fine grades of abrasive cloth
to desired finish.

At least that's what I'd try....

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Google on "Flexhone".

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about an old fashioned brake cylinder hone?

--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who

Not sanding, but smoothing Skipweasel UK diy 7 December 4th 07 11:56 PM
Smoothing an old wall Thomarse UK diy 18 September 5th 07 10:03 PM
Smoothing old drywall Eugene Nine Home Repair 11 July 11th 05 06:33 PM
Smoothing concrete? P a U l L Home Repair 7 November 17th 04 12:49 PM
smoothing Mike Coonrod Woodworking 2 November 18th 03 01:32 AM