Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tools you didn't know you needed

On Dec 11, 9:01 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Brent" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 6:44 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote

Somebody made a sling-shot, weight and string rig too.
Nowadays someone would probably freak out and call the
police if they saw you with a sling-shot...

--
Leon Fisk

Electricians in the convention industry in Las Vegas use sling shots with
Zebco reel taped on to shoot a nut carrying fishing line. They then pull
rope that pulls their cables through the bar joists that support the
ceiling. Been doing it for quite a while.

Steve

I saw the greenlee cablecaster and as a kid i had a little fishing rod
called a pocket fisherman. It was a closed face reel and about 18
inches long overall with a little peice of rod

I am CURSING MYSELF for having lost it in the changes of houses
because casting a nut or sinker with it would have been so nice. I
never attached much faith in it as fishing equipment since i always
used open bail reels from the age of about 8 onwards and it seemed
like a gimmick or something to put in a suitcase I suddenly wish it
was in my toolbox.

Brent
Ottawa Canada

I got some 18" ice fishing poles and reels for Christmas last year. They
are the bail type reels and not pushbutton type. But, I bet you could get a
pushbutton one, and I do know they make short poles ala Snoopy Fishing Poles
for kids.

STeve

i prefer the bail i MIGHT go into an outdoor store and ask if they
have any snapped fibergalss fishing poles and pick up a reel for it
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 8:58 pm, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:40:59 -0500, Gerald Miller

wrote:
I don't know the truth of the matter, but the story was that on Friday
afternoon, a pull string needed to be provided in 500' of 8" duct. One
of the crew came back from the pet store with a rabbit which he
harnessed to the string. When said rabbit refused to go more than ten
feet into the duct, he pulled it back and applied a few drops of
gasoline to the exhaust pipe. It was estimated the rabbit was doing 30
MPH when it came out the other end.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

And the crewman with the bright idea of using gasoline on the animal
was met at the other end of the conduit by a Humane Officer and the
local Deputy Sheriff with the "matching bracelets" already out.

Do not even kid about **** like that. Unless you want us to book
the "Michael Vick Suite" for you at the regional Club Fed.

There are more effective ways to do things like that - find a friend
with a pet Ferret or two. They aren't stupid - once the Carpet Shark
gets the idea that when they follow the sound of the ringing bell and
come out the other end of the pipe they get their favorite treat,
they'll be in and out faster than that rabbit ever could - and it
won't hurt.

And even at that you purge the pipes with a manhole blower first, to
make sure there is good air inside.

-- Bruce --

Even humans die by that. We lost two telecom construction guys in my
province this summer Guy 1 forgot to check the manhole
Guy 2 did what instinct told him and went after guy 1

Neither emerged
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:09:42 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, Brent quickly quoth:

On Dec 11, 2:37 pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:20:34 -0800 (PST), Brent

wrote:
On Dec 10, 7:49 pm, Paul wrote:
A guy at work sent me a link to a neat magnetic tool for fishing wires
in walls and even under carpet, don't remember the brand name. I'll try
to remember to forward the link from my work PC and post it here.

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

That sounds like my greenlee FISH STIX.

they are in the cable fishing family of tools but unlike a fish tape
you can PUSH it over and through open areas.

Basically its 4' lengths of fishing rod with threaded ends and a hook
or basket at the end that will easily let you push a cable out up to
24'

they save HOURS working up in drop ceilings

I always want to try using an RC 4x4 pulling a fish line on
a drop ceiling. Now that the prices are affordable for such
toys I don't do stuff like that anymore.

I used to just grab a 9 foot low band antenna whip off the
van and tie onto the end. Reach as far as a could with that
and note which ceiling tile to pop up next. I didn't run
stuff everyday or I would have made a better pole type
system like you described.

Still think that would be a good RC application and maybe
make the job a bit more fun

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Leon youre a genius =) the thought of usng an RC vehicle never
crossed my mind but its SOOOOOO elegant and simple

And it means i get to buy a fun toy when its not work time

If you have a small, pistol-type crossbow, shoot the pull-line across.

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:53:39 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well I KNOW mice have been used to get a pull line through condoit
----.(1.5 or 2")

A job at Windsor airport in the fall of 1985 involved some 10,000 feet
of 2, 4" ducts. The 20' lengths were laid out along the route prior to
installation. After the ducts were all buried, came time to install
string, then cable. To install the string (poly twine, actually), it
was tied to a sponge which was then sucked through with a shop vac.
Since the duct lengths had lain in the grass for several days, field
mice had taken up residence, and when the sponge was vacuumed through,
they ended up in the tank. The operator of the vacuum soon discovered
that his machine was much lighter to carry if he emptied the mice out
daily.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which reminds me....got any good tips on using a Jet-Line gun?

Pistol which launches a Co2 cart with a string attached through
conduits?

Im gonna need one tommorow.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 04:06:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Which reminds me....got any good tips on using a Jet-Line gun?

Pistol which launches a Co2 cart with a string attached through
conduits?

Sounds cool. JPGs at 11?

Im gonna need one tommorow.

Remember to leave an extra pull line in the conduit when you're done.

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
-- Miles Davis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brent" wrote in message
On Dec 11, 9:01 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Brent" wrote in message

On Dec 11, 6:44 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Ugly Stik makes a 18" ice fishing model. Around twenty bucks, IIRC.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brent" wrote

i prefer the bail i MIGHT go into an outdoor store and ask if they
have any snapped fibergalss fishing poles and pick up a reel for it

Personally, I'd buy a Wrist Rocket and a Zebco pushbutton reel. IIRC, the
wrist rocket is made of steel rod, and it would be easy to MIG a handle
facing forward to mount the reel with hose clamps. I've seen those work,
and they are sweet. I am a pretty good caster, but am not sure I could toss
the nut where I wanted it with any regularity. Especially if I was shooting
for a particular opening.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Leon Fisk wrote:

"The new RIDGID SeeSnake microT inspection camera allows
you
to easily perform visual inspections in hard to reach
areas.
Its lightweight, handheld design means that it can be
carried anywhere - providing solutions when and where you
need them, while allowing you to offer more services and
increase productivity."

I've used digicams a lot to see into places in machines
rather than do the
mirror and flash light routine.

Wes

Any recommendation on a brand/model? I've got a space on a
piece of machinery I
would like to monitor. Not terribly small, maybe 3"x3"x4",
but there is the possibility
of water spray and a slightly corrosive atmosphere.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:30:56 -0800 (PST), Brent
wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:44 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote

Somebody made a sling-shot, weight and string rig too.
Nowadays someone would probably freak out and call the
police if they saw you with a sling-shot...

--
Leon Fisk

Electricians in the convention industry in Las Vegas use sling shots with a
Zebco reel taped on to shoot a nut carrying fishing line. They then pull a
rope that pulls their cables through the bar joists that support the
ceiling. Been doing it for quite a while.

Steve

I saw the greenlee cablecaster and as a kid i had a little fishing rod
called a pocket fisherman. It was a closed face reel and about 18
inches long overall with a little peice of rod

I am CURSING MYSELF for having lost it in the changes of houses
because casting a nut or sinker with it would have been so nice. I
never attached much faith in it as fishing equipment since i always
used open bail reels from the age of about 8 onwards and it seemed
like a gimmick or something to put in a suitcase I suddenly wish it
was in my toolbox.

Brent
Ottawa Canada

Pocket Fisherman is still around. Take a look and choose
your poison, everyone and their brother sells them:

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&...t+fisherman%22

It would be good to attach one to the RC of your choice too.
Then the RC vehicle would be paying out line as it went, not
having to drag it along. Just don't get too carried away,
eventually you will have to reel it back in from some spot.

I wouldn't go for the hottest slingshot either. When I used
to fish with a bow & arrow the critical moment for the line
is right at launch. If the line wasn't up to snuff it would
snap right when it started stripping from the reel
(commercial reel setup too). You would want a sling with a
long weak draw, more of a lob type shot. The best method
would be to shoot the reel. Maybe a shuttle used in weaving
would work (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:45:45 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca
wrote:

Drop ceilings were MADE for remote control trucks!!!
I have an old BAHA buggy with the body taken off that I run in
reverse across suspendend ceilings tied to a fish line.. If it gets
stuck I jerk it back a bit and take another run at it. When it drops
through the hole at the other end I tie my network cable to it and
real in the fishline. For heavier cables I pull a pull rope through
with the fishline, then use that to pull the heavy cable.

I was hoping it would give me the excuse to buy a real good 4X4 with
proportional control, but the old garage sale find has done the job
well enough that I've been satisfied not spending the extra.

Thanks Clare for the confirmation. I always though it would
work great, but the "proof is in the pudding", or so they
say. Sometimes you run into unforeseen problems with great
ideas

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:54:17 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 04:06:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Which reminds me....got any good tips on using a Jet-Line gun?

Pistol which launches a Co2 cart with a string attached through
conduits?

Sounds cool. JPGs at 11?

Not much info on the net

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index...ode=linearplus

Im gonna need one tommorow.

Remember to leave an extra pull line in the conduit when you're done.

I always leave several.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Remember to leave an extra pull line in the conduit when you're done.

I always leave several.

Shop vac and an appropriately sized foam rubber ball (with the first
small pull string run through it) is one standard approach to the
conduit problem, at least for empty conduit needing the first string run
through. I suppose that compressed air at the feed end could also be
used, but the shop vac at the far end is what I'm familiar with being
actually used, and it seems easier to seal on.

If there won't be idiots working in the conduit (and it there are,
nothing will help as they'll yank out the extra pull strings, too) you
can run a loop a few feet longer than the run and pull new wires without
"using up" a pull string.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know someone who recently called the plumber with a raw sewage welling
up out of the basement toilet. The plumber ran a snake 35 feet down the
clean out until it all drained. Then the plumber send his TV camera down
the drain and a group of family members watched the rat's eye view of
going down 35 feet to verity there were no more obstructions or breaks
in the pipe. During the viewing, Grandpa flushed a toilet upstairs and
the group got to see the drain in action with the toilet paper finale.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote:

Any recommendation on a brand/model? I've got a space on a
piece of machinery I
would like to monitor. Not terribly small, maybe 3"x3"x4",
but there is the possibility
of water spray and a slightly corrosive atmosphere.

You might ask on alt.machines.cnc . IIRC I saw a mazak nexus or something
like that with a camera mounted inside the machining center a few years ago
when I was at the Mazak facility in Kentucky.

My post concerned using a digicam in an unpowered machine to get a peek at
things I can't get my head in to see.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:15:59 -0500, Wes wrote:

"BillM" wrote:

Any recommendation on a brand/model? I've got a space on a
piece of machinery I
would like to monitor. Not terribly small, maybe 3"x3"x4",
but there is the possibility
of water spray and a slightly corrosive atmosphere.

You might ask on alt.machines.cnc . IIRC I saw a mazak nexus or something
like that with a camera mounted inside the machining center a few years ago
when I was at the Mazak facility in Kentucky.

My post concerned using a digicam in an unpowered machine to get a peek at
things I can't get my head in to see.

Wes

Work area cameras are an option with many EDM machines. Maybe because
they already had flame detectors.

Old Precision Tools... Help needed! Fred Fowler III Metalworking 6 August 25th 07 07:34 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 09:34 PM
pallet jack repair - parts avail? special tools needed? dave Metalworking 12 October 27th 05 11:24 AM
Info on tools, plans and supplier needed [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 19th 04 12:08 AM
ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS [email protected] Woodturning 20 September 23rd 03 07:52 AM