Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Size Phase Converter do I need?

Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Holy Heat, Batman! How many watts is that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RainLover" wrote in message
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I'm of the opinion that you should look for a different kiln. There are
no shortcuts to providing the needed wattage---be it with three phase or
single phase. The demand on amperage for the phase converter will be just
as great as if you went single phase directly to the kiln, so I see nothing
gained with the three phase unit aside from lower amperage per leg. Overall,
you'll still consume the same amount of power, and you'll be paying for the
phase converter and its losses in the bargain. You'd be better served to
buy a kiln that is single phase, with a higher current demand (because it's
only single phase)-----and avoid the phase converter. I'd have a totally
different attitude were you powering a machine tool. I wonder if Bruce
would agree?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:

Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

0 HP. No reason to use a phase converter for a non motor, resistive
load. Rewire the kiln for single phase, unbalanced if necessary, or find
a single phase kiln.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:40:48 +0000, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you got a real steal on the kiln, _and_ it can be easily rewired
for 220 single-phase, I agree with Harold.

Three phase power is great for rotating machinery, because you get better
starting torque and smoother running.

Three phase power is nice for he-man power electronics because you need
less (or no) smoothing capacitors after rectification.

Three phase power has little advantage other than smaller wires for
heating, because a heater doesn't care if the power is perfectly constant
or if it pulses at 120Hz -- it gets just as hot either way.

Were it mine, I'd look to see if the heaters are connected in a delta,
and if so I'd say "yipee!" and reconnect them in parallel for single-
phase operation -- unless I had to buy enough parts that I could just get
a new kiln.

If you have to ask, I'm not going to recommend that you do the above --
just check to see if it gives directions for wiring it as single-phase,
and if it doesn't start shopping around for a unit to replace it with.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 12:26 am, RainLover
wrote:
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I would expect it to be fairly easy to rewire the kiln to use single
phase power. Who makes the kiln? And what model is it. It is very
likely that you can use the existing elements. The worst case would
be that you have to install new elements. Which would not be all bad
as elements age and fail. So you would be starting with new
elements. You can get new elements at Seattle Pottery.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You should be able to easily rewire it for single phase. More than
likely there are multiple elements for each phase, if you luck out and
have 6 or 12 elements, you can get a balanced load. If not, you can run
it at reduced power or unbalanced load.

RainLover wrote:
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-10, RainLover wrote:
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Approximately 25 HP.

You should also check whether the kiln can possibly be rewired to run
from single phase, at full power or at least partial power. Is there a
blower or a fan inside?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:43:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 10, 12:26 am, RainLover
wrote:
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I would expect it to be fairly easy to rewire the kiln to use single
phase power. Who makes the kiln? And what model is it. It is very
likely that you can use the existing elements. The worst case would
be that you have to install new elements. Which would not be all bad
as elements age and fail. So you would be starting with new
elements. You can get new elements at Seattle Pottery.

Dan

Thanks for all the answers (and non-answers) everyone. I'm looking at
a lightly used kiln and less than 1/2 of what it would cost new. I
think the main reason is the 3 phase requirement.

It's a Skutt 1227 if that helps in your answer.

I HAVE a 5HP phase converter for a roller, but someone else said it
would take 40 HP to do it. I don't know what it would take to rewire
it to single phase... that sort of thing is way above what I know how
to do, generally speaking.

I really need a kiln and this one seems priced right, but not if I
NEED to get a huge-ass converter.

James (seattle-ish)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-10, RainLover wrote:

Thanks for all the answers (and non-answers) everyone. I'm looking at
a lightly used kiln and less than 1/2 of what it would cost new. I
think the main reason is the 3 phase requirement.

It's a Skutt 1227 if that helps in your answer.

I HAVE a 5HP phase converter for a roller, but someone else said it
would take 40 HP to do it. I don't know what it would take to rewire
it to single phase... that sort of thing is way above what I know how
to do, generally speaking.

I really need a kiln and this one seems priced right, but not if I
NEED to get a huge-ass converter.

James (seattle-ish)

You are looking at a 11 kW kiln. A year ago I bought a 10 kW kiln for
$50. It was single phase. Half of what it costs new, does not sound so
appealing to me personally, for a 3 phase kiln. An easy to find deal
on a 10 kW kiln is about 300-400 dollars. Far less than what a phase
converter would cost. Besides, a kiln runs only intermittently, in
short bursts, but the phase converter would have to run continuously,
adding to the cost. If you do not know how to rewire a kiln, a phase
converter in size required, would cost more than a new kiln, or at
least about as much.

To me, it is either rewiring it or looking for a diff. kiln. For
rewiring, the price has to be "almost free".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James,
1. Call Skutt, ask them if it can be rewired to single phase.
2. Get a 15 hp rotary converter.
3. Get a 15 hp VFD on ebay.
Dave

On Dec 9, 10:15 pm, RainLover
wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:43:17 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 10, 12:26 am, RainLover
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:43:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 10, 12:26 am, RainLover
wrote:

[...]

30 seconds with google shows that Skutt do make a single phase 1227 so
next step would be to ask them what is involved in changing from 3 phase
to single phase and work out if it's worthwhile.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:26:27 -0800, RainLover
wrote:

Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Hey James,

Welcome back. Merry Christmas. Drop in more often.

220 VAC at 31 amps works out to 6820 watts. Using a loose rule of
thumb, it takes 750 watts per horse power. Therefore, your kiln is
equivalent to a 9 HP motor, and rotary converters are derated by as
much as 50%, so you would need a 15HP 220VAC 3-phase motor set up as
the rotary convert or to accommodate it, IF it was a motor. But it's
not. I suspect that there are also reasons other than the heaters
that this is three-phase. So, best advice was given by another......
Try contacting the manufacturer, and if they can't tell you, ask for a
schematic, and get back to us.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-10, Brian Lawson wrote:
Welcome back. Merry Christmas. Drop in more often.

220 VAC at 31 amps works out to 6820 watts.

it is three phase 31 amps, do not forget. So the power is 1.73 times more.

Using a loose rule of
thumb, it takes 750 watts per horse power. Therefore, your kiln is
equivalent to a 9 HP motor, and rotary converters are derated by as
much as 50%, so you would need a 15HP 220VAC 3-phase motor set up as
the rotary convert or to accommodate it, IF it was a motor. But it's
not. I suspect that there are also reasons other than the heaters
that this is three-phase. So, best advice was given by another......
Try contacting the manufacturer, and if they can't tell you, ask for a
schematic, and get back to us.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

About 20HP would do it. I'd really consider rewiring it to single phase
which would draw 54 amps. With the RPC you are going to draw more to run
the motor + cranking up 20HP might dim your lights depending on the size of
your service.

My 5HP starting up flickers the lights a bit out in the garage.

I seem to remember something about 3 phase keeping the elements powered
longer but I don't see how you get past P=IE no mater what you do.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And 60 seconds on google comes up with the wiring diagram for the 3
Model 1227
http://www.skutt.com/pdf/service_man..._km12273ph.pdf

and the single phase version:
http://www.skutt.com/pdf/service_man...m1227-1027.pdf

The only difference is the main terminal block, the wiring from the
terminal block to the relays, and the main power cord. All the elements
are rated 208/240 with no derating in power. Note that the power rating
for the 240 single phase version is 48 amps with a 60 amp breaker.
http://www.skutt.com/support/elec_req.html

The OP does not sound like the type who can handle heavy power wiring
but I'm sure the local pottery place could do this in an hour or so. Any
high end pottery supply place has a tech that relines and rewires kilns
on a daily basis. They also do the upgrades to add more sophisticated
controls, the power wiring is just a small part of that.

David Billington wrote:
RainLover wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:43:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 10, 12:26 am, RainLover
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Further reading brings up these statements:

Three phase operation. Only special order Models KS-1027, KS-1227,
KM-1027 and KM-1227 will operate on a three-phase supply. However, any
Skutt kiln can be properly powered via unbalanced connection to two of
the three hot wires of a three-phase supply. Of course, the green safety
ground connection provided in all Skutt power cords is also used.

Three-phase installation. Three-phase models KS-1027, KS-1227, KM-1027
and KM-1227 can be plugged directly into a three-phase (15-50OR) wall
receptacle.

208 versus 240 supplies. As you can see from the chart, most Skutt
models are available in either 208 or 240 volt versions. The exceptions
are models KS-714 and KM-714 which are universal, and will fire with
240V or 208V power. The "120/208V" supply is increasingly encountered in
schools and newly built communities, because it is more efficient for
heavy 120V loads. This affects models KS-818, KS-818WR, KS-1018,
KS-1027, KS-1227, KM-818, KM-818-30A-3, KM-1018, KM-1027 and KM-1227
because their elements receive the full 208 *or 240) applied volts. The
208V versions should never be fired on a 240V supply without first
installing a full set of 240V elements. Otherwise, all components will
be seriously over-taxed.

RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Looks really easy to covert, unless I'm missing something

http://www.skutt.com/pdf/service_man...m1227-1027.pdf

http://www.skutt.com/pdf/service_man..._km12273ph.pdf

Move two wires on the terminal block.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a KILN that requires 220 3-phase (31amps) to
run. Does anyone know what HP rotary phase converter I'd need to run
it?

Thanks!

James (seattle)

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I got a note back from Skutt tech support, it'll cost around $400 in
parts (plus labor if I don't do it myself) to get it to run on 240v.

Now I just have to decide if I can afford the kiln plus that...

Thanks for all the advice.

It's true, I have been GONE for a while, not that I was ever a huge
poster here. Life's been good and bad... got divorced, sold a
sculpture to the City of Issaquah (washington), got skin cancer, had
the chance to go to Africa (and TIMBUKTU) on someone else's dime...

Now I just need to sell a sh*tload of ART to pay off the divorce loan
I got... it let me keep my shop!!! (but I have 1 1/2 years to pay it
back or I have to sell it all.)

What's that you say? too much information?? hehe

Happy winter everyone!

James, Port Orchard, Washington, USA, Earth

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the words of someone with four bypasses and five divorces (or was
that the other way...) "Why get married? Instead, buy a house for a
woman you hate".

This individual smoked, drank, and ate non-healthy foods. He can't die,
there isn't blood in his veins, but a mix of alcohol and bacon grease...

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
I got a note back from Skutt tech support, it'll cost around $400 in
parts (plus labor if I don't do it myself) to get it to run on 240v.

That sounds completely bogus! IOW, it's the "Take the sucker for
whatever he'll pay" business model.

But there is one possible way that it could take $400 in parts & that's
if there is an electronic control unit that requires 3 phase and it
needs to be replaced with a single phase one.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

The ultimate truth:

Women aren't worth the water they retain.

If you need one, rent one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

The ultimate truth:

Women aren't worth the water they retain.

If you need one, rent one.

"If it flys, floats or ****s...rent it"

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What parts? did they give you a list?

From what RoyJ and I see you need to move two wires, or use it as is.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner wrote on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 04:26:52
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

The ultimate truth:

Women aren't worth the water they retain.

If you need one, rent one.

"If it flys, floats or ****s...rent it"

Conversely, "If it has testicles or tires, it's going to cause you
grief."

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

The ultimate truth:

Women aren't worth the water they retain.

If you need one, rent one.

"If it flys, floats or ****s...rent it"

Conversely, "If it has testicles or tires, it's going to cause you
grief."

I see you have met my sister.

One of her favorite statements.

2nd Amendment Sister
Brass Roots charter member
Dykes on Bikes rider (she isnt gay)

Interesting gal, my sister.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner wrote on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 04:19:33

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

The ultimate truth:

Women aren't worth the water they retain.

If you need one, rent one.

"If it flys, floats or ****s...rent it"

Conversely, "If it has testicles or tires, it's going to cause you
grief."

I see you have met my sister.

One of her favorite statements.

2nd Amendment Sister
Brass Roots charter member
Dykes on Bikes rider (she isnt gay)

Interesting gal, my sister.

She married?

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
Nothing says loving like a bun in the oven.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RainLover wrote:
Life's been good and bad... got divorced,

The ultimate truth:

Women aren't worth the water they retain.

If you need one, rent one.

"If it flys, floats or ****s...rent it"

Conversely, "If it has testicles or tires, it's going to cause you
grief."

I see you have met my sister.

One of her favorite statements.

2nd Amendment Sister
Brass Roots charter member
Dykes on Bikes rider (she isnt gay)

Interesting gal, my sister.

She married?

Nope..but she finally found a guy who wasnt intimidated by her 3
degrees, and is as smart as she is. They been together for at least 8
yrs now. But Ill put you on the "approved" waiting list.

She took the Golden Parachute after 18 yrs running a hazmat department
for Detroit Edison, took a few yrs off working cadaver dogs around the
world, Midwest Director of EARS (Emergency Animal Rescue (the folks
who go in right after disasters and rescue the critters left behind
(or ahead of the on coming fire/flood etc) and then got hired back by
Det-Ed as an outside consultant for some outragious salary. I think I
heard she paid cash for her house......

Im quite proud of her.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner wrote on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:48:20

RainLover wrote:
[...]

Always one black sheep in the family :-)

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD
(A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Phase Converter [email protected] Metalworking 16 November 16th 05 02:43 PM
Phase Converter? JB Metalworking 10 June 11th 05 12:23 AM
Three Phase converter Robert Galloway Woodworking 1 November 29th 04 07:40 PM
3-phase from DC converter? Joe in Bendigo Electronics 5 June 27th 04 01:42 AM
Voltage on Phase Converter Steve Metalworking 2 August 15th 03 09:29 AM