Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replacement Atlas Lathe Gears (group buy.... )

Hi All,

Ive been working on, for the past several months, an Atlas QC-54 that
i bought for $300. Ive replaced everything that needed to and im
looking to get new steel/cast iron gears for the entire geartrain.

So, After calling clausing and finding out the prices for the
necessary parts, and almost having a heart attack..... I believe i
have found the correct pitches for the gears so that replacements can
be made/ordered. Inside the QCGB,the right sidegears are a DP of 20
and the upper gear train from the spindle down into the left side of
the gearbox, is a DP of 16. PA for all is 14.5. I was looking into
getting replacements for all the cast alloy gears as well as some of
the other gears that have been damaged in my gearbox.

Since exact matches are not readily available (ie. facewidth, bore
size, compound gears, etc.) some final machining of stock gears will
be required. I planned to order gear rod stock of the gears that are
part of the compound gears (16DP by 16 teeth) so that exact sizes
needed can be parted off and machined thus minimizing extra machining.
others like the 20dp 20t gears would be ordered as .375 face width and
a .5 inch bore and could be machined/ ground to final fit. Bushings
would be made from standard sintered bronze stock and can be made to
original spec, or adapted to your liking.

I would like to hear peoples interest in doing a group buy (since i
can get things somewhat cheaper in quantity through my local bearing
house).
I havent figured out pricing at the moment but seeing as most of the
labor in finished machining can be done on the lathe you are trying to
repair we shoudl be able to save some cost considering clausing
wants an average of $85 for each of the compound gear assemblies.

Thanks, let me know what you think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:
[...]

I'd have been all over this a few years ago when I was doing exactly
what you are doing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 29, 5:00 pm, Rex wrote:
wrote:
[...]

what you are doing.- Hide quoted text -

lol, im afraid its more cost prohibitive and probably not worth the
effort but its a nice idea i suppose. i believe the standard chage
egars are ok for the 40 and 48 tooth gears on the yoke but the others
are going to be custom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

nytrillium wrote:
On Oct 29, 5:00 pm, Rex wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I found the few QC gears I needed at some place in New Jersey or Noo
Yawk, can't think of the guy's name, but he's closed and sold off what
he could at scrap prices.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 29, 6:15 pm, Rex wrote:
nytrillium wrote:
On Oct 29, 5:00 pm, Rex wrote:
wrote:
[...]

he could at scrap prices.- Hide quoted text -

Lucky you.... I live in the boonies of upstate NY so its hard to find
people. There is a guy here somewhere i know of that cuts custom gears
and has been doing it for almost 40 years. I may try contacting him
if this doesnt work out. The other part of this was to replace the
cast alloy gears with steel ones.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

wrote in article
. com...
[...]

Check with Boston Gear.

I believe they have exact replacements.....at reasonable prices.

www.bostongear.com

I would not doubt that it is where Clausing sources their gears.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ive checked, like i said i went to my local supplier and the only
things that boston and several other companies stock are tehir
standards, they arent the same as the ones in the quick change.

What htey call their "change" gears i beleve are direct replacements
for the intermediate gears that are attached to the yoke on double
keyed bushings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nytrillium wrote:
Ive checked, like i said i went to my local supplier and the only
things that boston and several other companies stock are tehir
standards, they arent the same as the ones in the quick change.

What htey call their "change" gears i beleve are direct replacements
for the intermediate gears that are attached to the yoke on double
keyed bushings.

So contact Boston Gear, rather than the local supplier.

Should take you less than two seconds to figure out which one of the
two will have a better idea what Boston Gear sells. :-)

And, they may be able to provide a quote for the stuff you need, if
they do not list it as standard.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 30, 8:53 pm, nytrillium wrote:
Ive checked, like i said i went to my local supplier and the only
things that boston and several other companies stock are tehir
standards, they arent the same as the ones in the quick change.

What htey call their "change" gears i beleve are direct replacements
for the intermediate gears that are attached to the yoke on double
keyed bushings.

I bought some stock Boston gears for my 10" SB. Not exact, but close
enough to work with a little boring and broaching.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 31, 7:29 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Oct 30, 8:53 pm, nytrillium wrote:

Ive checked, like i said i went to my local supplier and the only
things that boston and several other companies stock are tehir
standards, they arent the same as the ones in the quick change.

What htey call their "change" gears i beleve are direct replacements
for the intermediate gears that are attached to the yoke on double
keyed bushings.

I bought some stock Boston gears for my 10" SB. Not exact, but close
enough to work with a little boring and broaching.

Thats what i planned on doing. As we speak i am looking at the
catalogs and getting the #'s i need.