Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Neat way of drilling centre holes in round bar....(non ranty political)

Had a fill in teacher at school last week, showed me a quick and easy
way of drilling a hole through the centre of a piece of round stock,
using a drill press and an ordinary drill press (ie, non precision)
vise....
1.Centre punch the bar on the plane where you want to drill.
2. Clamp job in vise, preferably at 90 degrees to drill plane....(use
a parralel(sp?) if you want to be fussy, I did it by eye and it was
pretty close)
2. then, with a drill bit the same size as the bar, in the drill press
chuck, position the vise so it is centered round the drill bit. Clamp
vise down with G-clamp. Do this as close as possible to end of job.
3. Swing the table around till the proposed hole centre is under a
small pilot drill (I used 1mm, as the final hole was 2mm, and 1mm was
the smallest available without hassling the storeman)- how come
storeman are universally grumpy buggers?
4. Drill the hole - voila, it will be dead centre. Swap out bits to
final size, go for it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Yes, I know there are a lot more precise ways of doing this, but it
was only a tommy bar for a clamp screw, so was pretty good -
especially compared to previous efforts. Was for the clamp for a V-
block I had made as part of me Fitting and Machining
course....something practical to use at home, while getting a good
intro to basic milling and surface grinding....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 9:22 am, wrote:
[...]

Essentailly the same as putting the work into the chuck, clamping the
vice, releasing the work, and lowering the table?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 12:32 am, wrote:
On Oct 19, 9:22 am, wrote:

[...]

Ta Muchly Dave - wish I had thought (or been shown) that one. In
memory bank for future use.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 12:52 am, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Andrew sez:

"2. then, with a drill bit the same size as the bar, in the drill press
chuck, position the vise so it is centered round the drill bit. Clamp
vise down with G-clamp. Do this as close as possible to end of job.
3. Swing the table around till the proposed hole centre is under a
small pilot drill . . . "

It seems to me "swinging the table around" even in a small arc would introduce enough error to spoil
the accuracy.

Bob Swinney

True, was aware of this error potential - (my maths is crap, so no
idea what the actual error would be, I couldnt SEE it, so was happy..)
the method described by spamTHIS is going to be the one used in
future, especially as its independent of having the exact same size
drill bit as the material being drilled... I had already cut the
thread in the bar, so was limited to clamping the rod on the plain
portion. Will do the thread last next time, so I can position the
drilling point of the vice better.

Hey, it was a quantum improvement on my previous methods, so was
feeling pretty good about what accuracy I did achieve.......glad this
group is here, get basic information that comes in real useful.....

Andrew VK3BFA.