Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Answering - "How to Form Patina on Brass"

For some whacky reason the answer I posted to the OP (twice) never made
it to this newsgroup or to the crossposted rec.crafts.jewelry. So,
here's what I was trying to say to the OP:

Norm Dresner wrote:

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it

look old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do
that or do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

I use a chemical sold as "Liver of Sulphur" by some jewelry supply and
crafts shops.

http://tinyurl.com/2xtgzw

Works great for me.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who Woulda Thunk It?

I received an exquisitely detailed explanation from the moderator of
rec.crafts.jewelry explaining why my initial reply to an rcm post was
delayed because it was also crossposted to the newsgroup he moderates (rcj).

It seemed counterintuitive to me that crossposts to non-moderated
newsgroups should get delayed, but here in part is his explanation:

*****

If any newsgroup, anywhere in the crosspost list (the newsgroups header
listing of groups the post goes to) is a moderated group, the post goes
FIRST to the moderator of that group. News servers do not seperate
postings into separate posts. Rather, they send a posting out on the
newsfeeds where any newsgroup on the list will pick up the post and
display it, along with the entire original newsgroups listing intact in
it's headers.

In order to minimize the chances of misconfigured news servers from
posting a message that's not been approved, or perhaps just because the
whole setup of newsgroups is almost as old as the internet itself and
therefor just not a sophisticated protocol, messages don't propogate at
all until they are determined appropriate for all the groups on the
list. That means the moderator of the moderated group has to repost the
thing with an approval header if it is to appear in all the groups
including the moderated one.

*****

Live and learn....Computers do what we tell them to do, which is not
always what we'd want them to do.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Norm Dresner wrote:

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it

look old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do
that or do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

I use a chemical sold as "Liver of Sulphur" by some jewelry supply and
crafts shops.

http://tinyurl.com/2xtgzw

Works great for me.

HTH,

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Live and learn....Computers do what we tell them to do, which is not
always what we'd want them to do.

Actually you can approve your own post to a moderated group.

Wes