Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pipe vise -- a project for making jaws

In the spirit of making tools when possible, I have a feeling that I
could mill jaws that would go over my current vise and would be
designed for holding a pipe. I would mill serrations that would hold a
pipe. What type of steel would you recommend?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 24, 2:26 am, Ignoramus9581
wrote:
In the spirit of making tools when possible, I have a feeling that I
could mill jaws that would go over my current vise and would be
designed for holding a pipe. I would mill serrations that would hold a
pipe. What type of steel would you recommend?

thanks

4130 would be a reasonable choice and heat treat it after machining.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:26:24 -0500, Ignoramus9581
wrote:

In the spirit of making tools when possible, I have a feeling that I
could mill jaws that would go over my current vise and would be
designed for holding a pipe. I would mill serrations that would hold a
pipe. What type of steel would you recommend?

thanks

M2, D2, O1

Yes, its easy.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rather than going to all the trouble of milling and heat treating a
set of jaws, I suggest the following: Purchase an ordinary pipe vise,
the "U" shaped yoke type or chain type that can be bolted to a flat
surface. A quick look on Ebay indicates that if you are in no hurry
you can get a yoke type vise for less than $10. Bolt the vise to one
leg of a short piece of angle and clamp the other leg in your vise
jaws. It is best to use large angle such as 3" x 3" x 1/4". In my
case I welded a thin strip of metal strap on one leg of the angle so
it was below the jaws of the vise when clamped. This prevents the
angle from slipping out of the vise when a lot of torque is applied to
the pipe. I would not need to do this on my current vise as it clamps
tighter than my old vise and has serrated jaws. A real pipe vise
usually works better than a jury-rigged system.