Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default scrap prices

Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jdabreeze" wrote in message
oups.com...
Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

93 cents/pound for scrap? Surely, you jest! Are these guys wearing a
mask and wielding a gun?

I used three large steel beams in the house I'm building. Paid 32
cents/pound for them, new.

This was about five years ago. I realize prices are up, but that's absurd.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jdabreeze" wrote in message
oups.com...
Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

Last I bought was 40 cents a pound, ten dollar minimum. This was up from 30
cents a pound, ten dollar minimum, which it had been for years. This is in
Northern California.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 15, 5:47 am, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:
"jdabreeze" wrote in message

oups.com...

Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

Last I bought was 40 cents a pound, ten dollar minimum. This was up from 30
cents a pound, ten dollar minimum, which it had been for years. This is in
Northern California.

Jerry

Last Monday I bought some stainless steel sheet for $1 a pound, down
from $1.50 a few months ago.

Catcon needs a new heat shield.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jdabreeze wrote:
Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

I just came from the scrap yard and they were paying 6.5 cents per pound
for chips on a 4800 lb. load. I could have probably swapped them even
for some other metal that they had lying around. On good straight
beams, rounds and structural steel, its going for about 35 cents/lb
around here( North East PA). You can buy new steel for what they are
charging you. MSC doesn't even charge that much. A steel supply company
would probaly sell you drops or cutoffs for less than what you paid.

I don't know what you are looking for but we use a lot of 4140 and A36
and get a lot of one to four inch drops that go to the scrap yard. Id
rather see them go to someone that can use them.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:
Last Monday I bought some stainless steel sheet for $1 a pound, down
from $1.50 a few months ago.

One of the local small scrap places sells mild for $0.35/#, stainless for
$0.75/#. The larger outfit (Schnitzer Steel) sells mild for IIRC $0.20/#.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks everyone for the input. No I didnt buy I was just checking the
current stock and prices. This place is not strickly scrap but
surplus also (www.rochestersteel.com) I liked it for the inventory of
scrap and the fact that if it wasnt in the scrap area you could go to
the warehouse and have them cut from prime stock for the same price
(with no cut charge). I was personally shocked at the price and will
look elsewhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jdabreeze wrote:
Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

Isn't it just amazing how your scrap isn't
worth but a few cents to these *******s,
but when you want to buy their scrap, it's
gold-plated....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
jdabreeze wrote:
Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

Isn't it just amazing how your scrap isn't
worth but a few cents to these *******s,
but when you want to buy their scrap, it's
gold-plated....

Yep!

I'm not against anyone making a profit, but making a retirement from each
and every sale is a bit extreme.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jdabreeze wrote:

Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP...tring=9143K211

$3.396/LB for 12" 1" x 1"

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...16;130=652;M;I

$3.02/LB for 6' 4" x 4"

Yikes. Most of the steak I eat doesn't cost that much.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 16, 1:50 am, Wes wrote:
$3.396/LB for 12" 1" x 1"

$3.02/LB for 6' 4" x 4"

Yikes. Most of the steak I eat doesn't cost that much.

Wes

It does if you mail order it.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/O...1167&ITMSUF=XE

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:23:53 -0700, jdabreeze
wrote:

Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current
inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling
scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying?
this is western NY

You're getting taken to the cleaners. I just bought a sheet of 5/16"
1008 plate from work at 30 cents a pound- that was last year's price,
as it had been sitting in a corner for a year, but it would have been
45 cents a pound now, with certs. That's in Wisconsin, ordering new
metal, not scrap, through Ryerson.

Dimensioned 1018 cold-rolled bar stock and angle iron goes for 60
cents a pound retail here, at the place I get it from.

scrap metal prices? Tom The Great Home Repair 5 January 18th 07 01:08 AM
scrap metal prices in the UK ? . UK diy 0 July 30th 06 05:28 PM
Scrap value of copper? Lobster UK diy 24 July 2nd 06 01:00 AM
Scrap metal prices fred UK diy 12 October 2nd 05 01:06 AM
What do with with lbs and lbs of scrap AL ~.Roy.~ Metalworking 15 September 11th 05 01:26 AM