Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How much of Dillon's Carbide dies are Carbide?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...hree_Die_Sets_
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The outside on many dies is chrome Moly for strength. The carbide is the
stretching and sizing part that takes a lot of pressure. It might, haven't
torn down mine, be the pressing die inside the bullet press die.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Clark Magnuson wrote:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...hree_Die_Sets_

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Clark Magnuson :

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...hree_Die_Sets_

I don't know, since I have never dealt with them.

But how much of *any* carbide die set is carbide? It is
normally a fairly short ring at the bottom end of the dies. The rest is
plain steel. (I would not want to pay for the ground threads needed in
an *all* carbide die. :-)

And from the description following your link, these also have
carbide expander balls as part of the sizing die.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:52:22 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
The outside on many dies is chrome Moly for strength. The carbide is the
stretching and sizing part that takes a lot of pressure. It might, haven't
torn down mine, be the pressing die inside the bullet press die.

I seem to recall seeing a cross-section of the dies showing the carbide
ring where the case goes in (where the force is applied, for the most
part) and maybe the button. Check the Blue Press, perhaps, or call 'em.
Every time I've called, the person answering the phone has every answer
I can throw at them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:14:34 -0700, Clark Magnuson
wrote:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...hree_Die_Sets_

Straight wall cartridges simply have a carbide ring inserted in the
die mouth.

Good question indeed on bottle neck dies

Gunner

Lye and carbide mark Metalworking 10 February 28th 06 01:42 AM
Carbide Inserts [email protected] Metalworking 2 November 21st 05 04:33 AM
Carbide Tip Jamrelliot Woodturning 6 December 26th 04 12:18 AM
Carbide Cut-off Saw John Allen Metalworking 4 November 19th 03 04:33 AM
tungsten carbide and carbide Kori Metalworking 4 August 1st 03 07:13 PM