Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Ebay Problems - Accessing pages

Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

Anyone else?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

They put so much script junk on their webpages they take awhile to load even
on broadband; I'd shudder to think what they would be like on dialup.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is indeed very bad. My Linux laptop can connect to the internet
using cell phone as a modem, but using ebay with it is painfully slow
due to extreme bandwidth requirements, especially if I am in a moving
train.

I am sure that bandwidth use could be reduced by 80% with 5% reduction
in functionality.

I do use my own eBay starting page http://ef.algebra.com/ for fast access
(loads in a fraction of a second and has all searches on one page).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 5:51 pm, Ignoramus19259 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19259.invalid wrote:
It is indeed very bad. My Linux laptop can connect to the internet
using cell phone as a modem, but using ebay with it is painfully slow
due to extreme bandwidth requirements, especially if I am in a moving
train.

I am sure that bandwidth use could be reduced by 80% with 5% reduction
in functionality.

I do use my own eBay starting pagehttp://ef.algebra.com/for fast access
(loads in a fraction of a second and has all searches on one page).

Thanks for responding guys...it is appreciated.

Ig..WHY do they so much stuff on their pages?

Over the last few days I have been doing some serious web surfing and
Ebay is by far the worst offender.

In my case, I am not spending as much money on Ebay as I would if I
could browse faster.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

19259.invalid wrote:
It is indeed very bad. My Linux laptop can connect to the internet
using cell phone as a modem, but using ebay with it is painfully slow
due to extreme bandwidth requirements, especially if I am in a moving
train.

I am sure that bandwidth use could be reduced by 80% with 5% reduction
in functionality.

I do use my own eBay starting pagehttp://ef.algebra.com/for fast access
(loads in a fraction of a second and has all searches on one page).

Thanks for responding guys...it is appreciated.

Ig..WHY do they so much stuff on their pages?

Over the last few days I have been doing some serious web surfing and
Ebay is by far the worst offender.

I think that it is ijnstututional imperative, where little
departments' pet projects make sense to those departments, but in
aggregate the results violate common sense.

In my case, I am not spending as much money on Ebay as I would if I
could browse faster.

I am.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article . com,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In my case, I am not spending as much money on Ebay as I would if I
could browse faster.

Same here; often it takes 5 min or more to load a page on my slow dialup
times many pages to actually buy something. ebay is my choice of last
resort

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Tony"
wrote:

what's dialup? Is that like when you call up Ebay to place a bid over the
phone?

Where I live dialup is the only way to connect to the internet except
satellite (which I'll probably do soon). 24k is the best I get over the
phone line, no DSL possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 6:56 am, nick hull wrote:
In article , "Tony"
wrote:

what's dialup? Is that like when you call up Ebay to place a bid over the
phone?

Where I live dialup is the only way to connect to the internet except
satellite (which I'll probably do soon). 24k is the best I get over the
phone line, no DSL possible.

Same here...and it will not be getting any better.

While Ebay is the worst offender, many web sites insist on using
bandwidth wasting garbage on their websites.

Since there is a bandwidth limit on dialup and cell phones connected
to the Web, I really don't understand why they do it...it just limits
their potential customer base. Also with Ebay, customers who are
located remotely represent their best potential customers. Much of the
extra bandwidth is taken up by ads....and I suspect that companies are
taking advantage of the ad income as an easy way to generate profits
versus sales to their customers. I expect to see a backlash in the
future when the bandwidth to cells run out...the iPhone market is
already seeing that.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 06:56:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

In article , "Tony"
wrote:

what's dialup? Is that like when you call up Ebay to place a bid over the
phone?

Where I live dialup is the only way to connect to the internet except
satellite (which I'll probably do soon). 24k is the best I get over the
phone line, no DSL possible.

I'm now on DSL and it's the best I've seen yet. A few tips on
satellite: FTP is slower than dialup due to the horrid latencies of
sat comm. Upload is at 56k. Download of large files is rapid, very
nice. Snow takes out the dish. Heavy rain takes out the dish. Sunspots
take out the dish. It's better than dialup, but not by too awfully
much. Latencies ruin video downloads quite often so it's best to
download vs. watching vid on satellite.

Go cable if you can do so now, DSL when they finally offer it.
The jump from dialup to sat is much like the jump from sat to DSL. The
differences are humongmous.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 06:31:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Go cable if you can do so now, DSL when they finally offer it.
The jump from dialup to sat is much like the jump from sat to DSL. The
differences are humongmous.

so are the prices.

My town will never have DSL. They however have RoadRunner cable and
just getting on the net via them, will cost at least $59 a month.

Ill stick with dialup thankyouveddyveddymuch

gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 10:51 pm, Ignoramus19259 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19259.invalid wrote:
It is indeed very bad. My Linux laptop can connect to the internet
using cell phone as a modem, but using ebay with it is painfully slow
due to extreme bandwidth requirements, especially if I am in a moving
train.

I am sure that bandwidth use could be reduced by 80% with 5% reduction
in functionality.

More likely a 50% increase in functionality.

--

FF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tony wrote:
what's dialup? Is that like when you call up Ebay to place a bid over
the phone?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

Anyone else?

TMT

Setup your browser to not allow images, then right click and view when
you want to see one.

Try running two different browsers if this is too clunky, IE set for
images and firefox for not or the reverse

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:56:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Go cable if you can do so now, DSL when they finally offer it.
The jump from dialup to sat is much like the jump from sat to DSL. The
differences are humongmous.

so are the prices.

My town will never have DSL. They however have RoadRunner cable and
just getting on the net via them, will cost at least $59 a month.

My phone used to cost $35 and Starband was $50 (after a $10 discount
for having DISH, too.) Now I have DSL and the phone is $72. I'm better
off and paying $23/mo less now.

Ill stick with dialup thankyouveddyveddymuch

As you wish. But think how much damage you could do in a day with
DSL. g

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

19259.invalid wrote:
It is indeed very bad. My Linux laptop can connect to the internet
using cell phone as a modem, but using ebay with it is painfully slow
due to extreme bandwidth requirements, especially if I am in a moving
train.

I am sure that bandwidth use could be reduced by 80% with 5% reduction
in functionality.

I do use my own eBay starting pagehttp://ef.algebra.com/for fast access
(loads in a fraction of a second and has all searches on one page).

Thanks for responding guys...it is appreciated.

Ig..WHY do they so much stuff on their pages?

Over the last few days I have been doing some serious web surfing and
Ebay is by far the worst offender.

In my case, I am not spending as much money on Ebay as I would if I
could browse faster.

TMT

I've got a bunch of their stuff in my hosts file- ebayststic.com, that
sort of bull, and I've always had pretty fast loading pages. Watch what
loads and try putting some of the useless sounding stuff in hosts, see
if it helps.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
Where I live dialup is the only way to connect to the internet except
satellite (which I'll probably do soon). 24k is the best I get over the
phone line, no DSL possible.

I'm now on DSL and it's the best I've seen yet. A few tips on
satellite: FTP is slower than dialup due to the horrid latencies of
sat comm. Upload is at 56k. Download of large files is rapid, very
nice. Snow takes out the dish. Heavy rain takes out the dish. Sunspots
take out the dish. It's better than dialup, but not by too awfully
much. Latencies ruin video downloads quite often so it's best to
download vs. watching vid on satellite.

Go cable if you can do so now, DSL when they finally offer it.
The jump from dialup to sat is much like the jump from sat to DSL. The
differences are humongmous.

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:46:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 26, 1:19 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

Anyone else?

TMT

My problems with Ebay continue...sometimes it works and most of the
time it does not.

Lots of "Cannot find server or DNS Error" responses.

Meanwhile almost all other sites work but load slowly as one would
expect on dialup.

Pinging indicates that the path to Ebay is working properly.

I do note that the Earthlink mail servers seem to be down.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:05:06 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:19 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

Anyone else?

TMT

My problems with Ebay continue...sometimes it works and most of the
time it does not.

Lots of "Cannot find server or DNS Error" responses.

Sounds like a problem with your DNS settings. Check your "Network
properties" and make sure that you are using correct DNS server IPs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:51:28 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

http://www.skycasters.com/?source=satelliteinternet 1-way, but that
takes out half the latencies. I'd have preferred it over Starband's
2-way, especially at half the price.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 2:34 pm, Ignoramus31174 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31174.invalid wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:05:06 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:19 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

Anyone else?

TMT

My problems with Ebay continue...sometimes it works and most of the
time it does not.

Lots of "Cannot find server or DNS Error" responses.

Sounds like a problem with your DNS settings. Check your "Network
properties" and make sure that you are using correct DNS server IPs.

Thanks for the suggestion...the DNS is auto.

I have been using this computer and its settings for years without
problems.

And everything but Ebay works....except for the on again off again
problem with the Earthlink mail server....while other mail servers
work on the same connection..

TMT

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to JohnM :
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[ ... ]

Over the last few days I have been doing some serious web surfing and
Ebay is by far the worst offender.

In my case, I am not spending as much money on Ebay as I would if I
could browse faster.

[ ... ]

I've got a bunch of their stuff in my hosts file- ebayststic.com, that
sort of bull, and I've always had pretty fast loading pages. Watch what
loads and try putting some of the useless sounding stuff in hosts, see
if it helps.

If it does, be warned that it could suddenly *stop* working
whenever eBay moves their functions to new machines. When they make
such a change, the DNS is alerted, and names such as ebaystatic.com are
routed to a different machine with a different IP address, after which
they retire the old one.

But your machine will keep trying to reach the old IP address
after such a change, until you kill off the hosts entry and note what IP
address turns out to correspond to the new machine with the old name.

It is better to keep your hosts file clean of external systems
(though it can be used to kill off a lot of spam sources and such. I
tend to do that in the routing tables, instead of in the local hosts
file.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

http://www.skycasters.com/?source=satelliteinternet 1-way, but that
takes out half the latencies. I'd have preferred it over Starband's
2-way, especially at half the price.

I don't understand, they seem to be $150/mo and up

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:56:40 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

http://www.skycasters.com/?source=satelliteinternet 1-way, but that
takes out half the latencies. I'd have preferred it over Starband's
2-way, especially at half the price.

I don't understand, they seem to be $150/mo and up

I don't, either. The day before yesterday, Skycasters had an ad in
Google Adwords for a $29.95/mo sat connection. It's not listed on
their site or Google now. Go figure!

Maybe their HOA banned it.

Do the voices in my head bother you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to JohnM :
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Late response on my part.. I don't know anything about routing tables,
I'm a very basic level geek, but everything in my hosts file is routed
to localhost. I've got a program that fills the graphics that the
browser (Mozilla) needs with tiny little dots so that the page doesn't
sit and wait 'till it times out, works well for me. I seldom see an ad
or flashing banner, if I see one I check it out and add it to the hosts
file, takes about 30 seconds if I can find the shortcut to the file
amongst all the stuff on my desktop screen.

I've read that some WinXP machines have trouble with large hosts files
(in excess of 1Mb), which mine is, but I've noticed no problems so far.
First used the hosts file for directing stuff to localhost with Win98,
then 98SE, no problems with either of those running big host files
either. My Linux OS also doesn't seem to mind it a bit, just about the
first thing I did with that machine.

If anyone's interested, the ebay servers I've got directed to localhost
are ebaystatic.com, pics.ebaystatic.com, include.ebaystatic.com. Pages
load a lot faster and everything works.`

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked up routing tables, need some time to
absorb more though.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to JohnM :

[ ... ]

It is better to keep your hosts file clean of external systems
(though it can be used to kill off a lot of spam sources and such. I
tend to do that in the routing tables, instead of in the local hosts
file.

[ ... ]

Late response on my part.. I don't know anything about routing tables,
I'm a very basic level geek, but everything in my hosts file is routed
to localhost. I've got a program that fills the graphics that the
browser (Mozilla) needs with tiny little dots so that the page doesn't
sit and wait 'till it times out, works well for me. I seldom see an ad
or flashing banner, if I see one I check it out and add it to the hosts
file, takes about 30 seconds if I can find the shortcut to the file
amongst all the stuff on my desktop screen.

O.K.

I've read that some WinXP machines have trouble with large hosts files
(in excess of 1Mb), which mine is, but I've noticed no problems so far.
First used the hosts file for directing stuff to localhost with Win98,
then 98SE, no problems with either of those running big host files
either. My Linux OS also doesn't seem to mind it a bit, just about the
first thing I did with that machine.

If anyone's interested, the ebay servers I've got directed to localhost
are ebaystatic.com, pics.ebaystatic.com, include.ebaystatic.com. Pages
load a lot faster and everything works.`

O.K. I'm sure that ebay would be displeased that you don't want
to "benefit" from all their hard work. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked up routing tables, need some time to
absorb more though.

One nice thing about routing tables is that it is easy to add an
entire block of IPs with a single command line. As an example (on a
unix system) the command line:

route add -net 59.0.0.0 -netmask 255.224.0.0 127.0.0.1

routes all IPs from 59.0.0.0 through 59.31.255.255 (all in Korea, FWIW)
to the localhost address (127.0.0.1). As a result, you can block a lot
more junk with fewer lines.

To be honest, I don't know *how* to do it on a Windows system,
and I suspect that it varies with which version of Windows you happen to
be running. Microsoft likes to re-invent all standards that they see,
so don't bet on it being easy. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Problem accessing the rec Glen[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 August 18th 07 09:30 PM
accessing the wreck RayV Woodworking 11 May 19th 06 01:35 PM
Need help accessing this newsgroup Sbtypesetter Woodworking 43 February 6th 05 10:26 PM
Accessing roof vent Peter Wells Home Repair 1 February 6th 05 03:04 PM
Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote Electronics Repair 3 November 1st 03 03:53 PM