Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Conundrum? Decent benchtop surface grinder

Benchtop? Er, small stand-mounted model would do. Is there anything
decent and frugal?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:48:17 -0500, Louis Ohland wrote:
Benchtop? Er, small stand-mounted model would do. Is there anything
decent and frugal?

Good grinders are usually not very expensive at liquidations and
such. Expect to pay perhaps $50 (on a bad day) for a Baldor 1/2 HP
grinder, smooth as silk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 31, 7:48 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
Benchtop? Er, small stand-mounted model would do. Is there anything
decent and frugal?

Doubt it. The smallest one I've ever seen was small, about 1.5 ft
wide by 2.5 ft long, but it had an integral base. It wouldn't take up
much more room than a small stand model, though. I know it's older,
dunno the exact model or manufacturer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

Nice little Clausing, but 240/3PH. Oh, my, my, my.

So figure another $200 for a VFD to power it. You do not want to
consider replacing the three phase motor with a single phase one as it's
been reported that they don't run as smoothly as three phase and will
create defects in the ground finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:54:57 -0000, woodworker88
wrote:

On Jul 31, 7:48 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
Benchtop? Er, small stand-mounted model would do. Is there anything
decent and frugal?

Doubt it. The smallest one I've ever seen was small, about 1.5 ft
wide by 2.5 ft long, but it had an integral base. It wouldn't take up
much more room than a small stand model, though. I know it's older,
dunno the exact model or manufacturer.

========
If you are open to "rolling your own" either the Machinist's
Workshop" or "The Home Shop Machinist" had plans to do this.
They may have back issues available or a reprint.

click on
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/
look for
May/June 06
July/Aug 06
Sep/Oct 06

Lautard's Machinist bedside reader #2 also has info on a "spot"
grinder that you can make.
click on
http://www.artisanideas.com/Detail.t...BC5A&sku=TMBR2

for some discussion see
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...d=13571&page=2
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Like this?

TECO FM50 AC Drive, 1 HP, 115V 1 PH Input, 230V 3 PH Output, 4.2FLA, IP20

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f

Pete C. wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Nice little Clausing, but 240/3PH. Oh, my, my, my.

So figure another $200 for a VFD to power it. You do not want to
consider replacing the three phase motor with a single phase one as it's
been reported that they don't run as smoothly as three phase and will
create defects in the ground finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Nice little Clausing, but 240/3PH. Oh, my, my, my.

So figure another $200 for a VFD to power it. You do not want to
consider replacing the three phase motor with a single phase one as it's
been reported that they don't run as smoothly as three phase and will
create defects in the ground finish.

Yes, though if you actually have 155V you've got a bit of a problem
there. The VFD normally expects 200-240V input, and yes single phase in
and three phase out. Visit http://www.driveswarehouse.com to look at
some.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

Like this?

TECO FM50 AC Drive, 1 HP, 115V 1 PH Input, 230V 3 PH Output, 4.2FLA, IP20

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f

Something like that, though normally the input and output voltages are
the same. Most drives are 240V input (or like 200-240V input), 115V
input is not very common.

Pete C.

Pete C. wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Nice little Clausing, but 240/3PH. Oh, my, my, my.

So figure another $200 for a VFD to power it. You do not want to
consider replacing the three phase motor with a single phase one as it's
been reported that they don't run as smoothly as three phase and will
create defects in the ground finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

Yup, 155v. Everything is a little bigger here in Wisconsin.

That's either too high for the ~115V or too low for the ~230V part of
your service. Either way, it's well out of spec for US utility
standards.

Pete C.

PS: I'm in TX where everything is indeed bigger, and we still have
pretty close to the expected ~115/230V service. My UPS reports 119V at
the moment.

Pete C. wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Nice little Clausing, but 240/3PH. Oh, my, my, my.
So figure another $200 for a VFD to power it. You do not want to
consider replacing the three phase motor with a single phase one as it's
been reported that they don't run as smoothly as three phase and will
create defects in the ground finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uh, SARCASM:ON The 115v in my house is standard. I was being cheeky
about typing 155 instead of 115.

Thanks for the link.

"Do you want to fight, or do you want to surf?"

"I'll surf, Sir!"

Pete C. wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Nice little Clausing, but 240/3PH. Oh, my, my, my.
So figure another $200 for a VFD to power it. You do not want to
consider replacing the three phase motor with a single phase one as it's
been reported that they don't run as smoothly as three phase and will
create defects in the ground finish.

Yes, though if you actually have 155V you've got a bit of a problem
there. The VFD normally expects 200-240V input, and yes single phase in
and three phase out. Visit http://www.driveswarehouse.com to look at
some.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1 HP 208/220 3 PHASE 2.8 AMPS

The FM50 shows 4.2 and I assume "Full Load Amps"

I _think_ the Clausing is rated 2HP / 230v

Pete C. wrote:
TECO FM50 AC Drive, 1 HP, 115V 1 PH Input, 230V 3 PH Output, 4.2FLA, IP20
http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f

Something like that, though normally the input and output voltages are
the same. Most drives are 240V input (or like 200-240V input), 115V
input is not very common.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Louis Ohland :
Benchtop? Er, small stand-mounted model would do. Is there anything
decent and frugal?

Yes -- if you don't insist on the company still being around.

Look into the Sanford line of surface grinders. The smallest of
them can be used as benchtop machines, as I use mine.

But apparently the company went under shortly after I got my
manual from them. (The machine was quite old, and needed a bit of
modernization of the power supply for the electro-mag chuck.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564