Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lubricant for handwheel / table bearings

Folk, I have pried open my wallet and waved the moths out of it..
Jack Benny has nothing on me...

I broke down and got some Vactra #2 for my ways, now the question is
what would do for the X, Y, and Z axis handwheel bearings on my Sieg X3?

The manuel calls for ISO 68 / 20W for the ways, but is that the right
thing for slow rotation, low load bearings?

PS. I can't spin the handwheels fast enough to smoke the bearings. Don't
even ask...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:29:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Louis Ohland quickly quoth:

Folk, I have pried open my wallet and waved the moths out of it..
Jack Benny has nothing on me...

I broke down and got some Vactra #2 for my ways, now the question is
what would do for the X, Y, and Z axis handwheel bearings on my Sieg X3?

The manuel calls for ISO 68 / 20W for the ways, but is that the right
thing for slow rotation, low load bearings?

PS. I can't spin the handwheels fast enough to smoke the bearings. Don't
even ask...

OK, just hook 'er up to a 3hp router. That should do 'er.

For other fun uses of routers, see this missive from the Wreck:
--snip--
http://tinyurl.com/3xaahu
David F. Eisan
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: "David F. Eisan"
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:28:03 GMT
Subject: Router Accident in the Kitchen (long)

Dear All,

This afternoon I was foolishly left alone in the kitchen with a
seemingly simple task, whip some cream.

It all started when I was attempting to whip some whipping cream into,
oddly enough, whipped cream with a hand whisk, and it seemed to
require far too much effort on my part. I am sure a Neander would be
quite happy with a hand whisk, but I was looking for a Normite way to
get this done. Now I realise that most people have a power hand mixer,
or what ever they are called, but I don't have one.

I started thinking, hmm, how much different could one of those things
be from a router. All a hand mixer is, is a motor with a Jacobs chuck
like ocket for whisks. Now if you think you know where I am going with
this, you are probably correct. I got out the dial callipers and the
shaft of the hand whisk was exactly 1/4". Woo Whoo, first problem
solved, I can use the standard 1/2" to 1/4" bushing. I go out to the
shop and take my three and a quarter horse Hitachi M12V out of the
router table and back into the kitchen. Using my 21mm and custom
ground thin 23mm Craftsman wrenches, I chuck up the whisk. Next
problem, speed. I measured the diameter of the business end of the
whisk and consulted my router bit speed chart. It said I should use
18,000 RPM. The only question left was technique, clockwise or counter
clockwise. Since I was doing an inside cut, I decided on the standard
counter clockwise.

I fired up the big green monster. Good thing the M12V has a soft start
feature, because even with my elbows braced on the countertop, this is
a heavy and unwieldy router to freehand in the air, but the torque was
still more than I was prepared for and I almost lost it. Okay, here we
are, full power. There was a quick blur of chaotic white liquid
filling the air and as the blur subsided I quickly realised the bowl
that previously held two cups of whipping cream was now virtually
devoid of cream. I powered down the router. My face, glasses and upper
body were covered in cream, as were two thirds of the kitchen. My
better half, alerted by the unusual tool noise and loud cursing coming
from the kitchen, walks in to ask just what the hell I thought I was
doing. I wipe off, change clothes and come back to explain myself and
clean up a very large mess.

Once I explained what I was attempting to the young lady I thought was
about to become my ex-wife (I could see it in her face, as she
thought, I cannot believe I actually married someone this stupid, Dad
was right), who is standing in front of me with a look of such total
disbelief that I would have previously thought impossible to display,
I was told that 18,000 rpm was a little too high an rpm for a whisk,
and that a variable speed cordless drill would have been the correct
choice of tool for this task. We were out of whipping cream at this
point, so I will have to wait until after I have a chance to go to the
store tomorrow to find out if the cordless drill works any better.
Damm, now that I think about it, it would seem like the drill press is
the way to go, then I could be just like Martha Stewart, Emeril or the
Cute short blonde lady with the bob haircut who has two shows on the
food network and have one of those big stationary Kitchen Aid looking
mixer thingies, Hmmmm.....

Live and learn.

Thanks,

David.

May you live in Interesting Times - Ancient Chinese Curse.
--snip--

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is viscus enough to load the trace and stay there....

Here is a list :

Mobil DTE Heavy Medium
Shell Turbo 68
Texaco Regal R&O 68
Arco Duro S-315
Amoco Industrial Oil 68
Benz Hycirc R&O 68
Pennzbell SHD 68
Citgear ht 68

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Louis Ohland wrote:
Folk, I have pried open my wallet and waved the moths out of it.. Jack
Benny has nothing on me...

I broke down and got some Vactra #2 for my ways, now the question is
what would do for the X, Y, and Z axis handwheel bearings on my Sieg X3?

The manuel calls for ISO 68 / 20W for the ways, but is that the right
thing for slow rotation, low load bearings?

PS. I can't spin the handwheels fast enough to smoke the bearings. Don't
even ask...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:29:18 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Folk, I have pried open my wallet and waved the moths out of it..
Jack Benny has nothing on me...

I broke down and got some Vactra #2 for my ways, now the question is
what would do for the X, Y, and Z axis handwheel bearings on my Sieg X3?

The manuel calls for ISO 68 / 20W for the ways, but is that the right
thing for slow rotation, low load bearings?

PS. I can't spin the handwheels fast enough to smoke the bearings. Don't
even ask...

ATF is always good.

Gunner