gate latches for utility trailer?

Old May 22nd 04, 08:48 PM
mark

Default gate latches for utility trailer?

Hi all, in high school I built a little 4x8 all steel utility trailer.
Its a fraction of an inch too short to haul a full sheet of
anything or 8' lumber, etc. The gate has to come off. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges. Does anyone have any ideas on some
better latches, and where to get them? I'd really like some automotive
type tailgate latches, but simple and ugly will do just fine. I'm
thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe? Thanks for
ideas all!

mark
Old May 22nd 04, 10:23 PM
Jim Kovar

In article , casteelm6
@hotmail.com says.. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges.

its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top?

I'm trying to visualize this gate, having no luck. Can you explain
further?

Anyway, hauling gravel is tough on any little trailer. About 2600 lbs
per yard, remember.

Jim Kovar
Vulcan, Mi
Old May 23rd 04, 03:14 PM
Roger Shoaf

"mark" wrote in message
Hi all, in high school I built a little 4x8 all steel utility trailer.
Its a fraction of an inch too short to haul a full sheet of
anything or 8' lumber, etc. The gate has to come off. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges. Does anyone have any ideas on some
better latches, and where to get them? I'd really like some automotive
type tailgate latches, but simple and ugly will do just fine. I'm
thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe? Thanks for
ideas all!

mark

First off since you need to rework the trailer, now is the time to make it
long enough to haul 8' goods.

For your hinges why not use a 1" bar attached to the trailer on stand offs
and use some pipe with a 1"+ i.d. to attach the gate to it. This way you
could pull a couple of pins and remove the tailgate all together and it
should be strong enough to survive.

For latches I would consider using the cam latches like they have on the
rear door of semi trailers. IIRC these are widely available at truck places
and are reasonably cheap. The nice thing about these is they will do a fine
job of getting the gate closed if you are at all close, and they are built
to last.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Old May 23rd 04, 05:11 PM
Mark Casteel

DOH! Sorry to be so confusing, the hinge is across the bottom, with
the latches at the top.

mark

Old May 24th 04, 12:59 AM
Kevin Beitz

Go look at a Mule... I like the latches they use... Simple and strong...
Old May 24th 04, 01:58 AM
Glenn Lyford

I'm thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe?

FWIW, 5/8" bolts are usually an OK fit in 1/2" black pipe,
you may or may not have to drill them out to remove the
welding ridge inside. I've also use 5/8 OD x 1/2" ID
oilite flange bushings in same.

HTH,
--Glenn Lyford
Old May 24th 04, 07:48 AM
me

Why dont you go to the auto wreckers and get a
latch system from a truck tailgate.

d-i-y sliding steel double gate T i m UK diy 20 April 29th 04 03:11 PM
Need some ideas for a gate Jon Ward Metalworking 20 March 25th 04 11:33 AM
The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 56 January 12th 04 06:01 PM
Small trailer plans John Rumm UK diy 8 August 16th 03 04:39 PM
OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements *Secondary Couplings* Richard Savage UK diy 0 July 19th 03 02:12 PM