DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gate latches for utility trailer? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/17046-gate-latches-utility-trailer.html)

mark May 22nd 04 09:48 PM

gate latches for utility trailer?

Hi all, in high school I built a little 4x8 all steel utility trailer.
Its a fraction of an inch too short to haul a full sheet of
anything or 8' lumber, etc. The gate has to come off. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges. Does anyone have any ideas on some
better latches, and where to get them? I'd really like some automotive
type tailgate latches, but simple and ugly will do just fine. I'm
thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe? Thanks for
ideas all!

mark

Jim Kovar May 22nd 04 11:23 PM

gate latches for utility trailer?

In article , casteelm6
@hotmail.com says.. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges.

its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top?

I'm trying to visualize this gate, having no luck. Can you explain
further?

Anyway, hauling gravel is tough on any little trailer. About 2600 lbs
per yard, remember.

Jim Kovar
Vulcan, Mi

Roger Shoaf May 23rd 04 04:14 PM

"mark" wrote in message
Hi all, in high school I built a little 4x8 all steel utility trailer.
Its a fraction of an inch too short to haul a full sheet of
anything or 8' lumber, etc. The gate has to come off. Anyway, when I
built it I used some galvanized hasps from the hardware store, needless
to say these didnt hold up long before they sprung and wont hold the
gate securely, its hinged across the bottom, with the hinges at the top.
They got sprung hauling a load of gravel and it pushed the sides out
just enough to spring the hinges. Does anyone have any ideas on some
better latches, and where to get them? I'd really like some automotive
type tailgate latches, but simple and ugly will do just fine. I'm
thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe? Thanks for
ideas all!

mark

First off since you need to rework the trailer, now is the time to make it
long enough to haul 8' goods.

For your hinges why not use a 1" bar attached to the trailer on stand offs
and use some pipe with a 1"+ i.d. to attach the gate to it. This way you
could pull a couple of pins and remove the tailgate all together and it
should be strong enough to survive.

For latches I would consider using the cam latches like they have on the
rear door of semi trailers. IIRC these are widely available at truck places
and are reasonably cheap. The nice thing about these is they will do a fine
job of getting the gate closed if you are at all close, and they are built
to last.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Mark Casteel May 23rd 04 06:11 PM

gate latches for utility trailer?

DOH! Sorry to be so confusing, the hinge is across the bottom, with
the latches at the top.

mark

Kevin Beitz May 24th 04 01:59 AM

gate latches for utility trailer?

Go look at a Mule... I like the latches they use... Simple and strong...

Glenn Lyford May 24th 04 02:58 AM

gate latches for utility trailer?

I'm thinking maybee pins that slide in short sections of pipe?

FWIW, 5/8" bolts are usually an OK fit in 1/2" black pipe,
you may or may not have to drill them out to remove the
welding ridge inside. I've also use 5/8 OD x 1/2" ID
oilite flange bushings in same.

HTH,
--Glenn Lyford

me May 24th 04 08:48 AM

gate latches for utility trailer?

Why dont you go to the auto wreckers and get a
latch system from a truck tailgate.