Tom Gardner

Default Changing a light bulb on R.C.M

How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to
condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb"
is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this
discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs
and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy
the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique
and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected
URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this
group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about
light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
it all over again.

Keith Marshall

I love it!! You left out a few though:

1 to point out that you can shorten that link by using TinyURL.

1 to say that if you put around the link it won't break on word wrap.
BTW, this does NOT work, at least not with Outlook Express. I've tried it
several times.

And 1 to point out that it's Gunner's fault that anyone ever posts off topic
messages! :-D

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll
get run over if you just sit there."
- Will Rogers (1879-1935).

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

Tom Gardner

And 1 to point out that it's Gunner's fault that anyone ever posts off
topic
messages! :-D

(It's ALWAYS Gunner's fault!) - professional blame-taker...

....and the other one that I forgot:

1 to somehow turn light bulb changing into a Bush-Bashing, Right-Winged
Conspiracy, Corporate-Controled Media Propaganda, Baby-killing,
Islam-Hating, Sovereign Nation-Invading, Oil-Stealing, Prisoner-Abusing
Extravaganza.

Wood Butcher

As an infrequent lurker here I thought you guy's may enjoy the
rec.woodworking version of this thread from several months ago.
I've included all of the additions offered up by various members.

Art

Q: How many rec.woodworking subscribers does it take to change a light
bulb?
A: 1,331:
- 1 to change the light bulb and to post to the list that the light bulb
has been changed.
- 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently.
- 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
- 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs.
- 53 to flame the spell checkers.
- 156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the light
bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to this forum.
- 41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames.
- 109 to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please take
this thread to alt.lite.bulb.
- 203 to demand that cross posting to alt.grammar, alt.spelling and
alt.punctuation about changing light bulbs be stopped.
- 111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts ARE relevant to this group.
- 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique, and what brands are faulty.
- 27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.
- 14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post corrected
URLs.
- 3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to
this list which makes light bulbs relevant to this list.
- 33 to summarize all posts to date, then quote them including all
headers and footers, and then add "Me Too."
- 12 saying they are unsubscribing because they cannot handle the
light bulb controversy.
- 19 to quote the "Me Too's" to say, "Me Three".
- 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.
- 1 to propose new alt.change.lite.bulb newsgroup.
- 47 to say this is what rec.woodworking was meant for, leave it here.
- 143 votes for alt.lite.bulb.
- 37 empty posts.
- 250 debating the merits of magnetic light bulb filters.
- 3 giving you URLs for really sexy adult light bulbs.
- 74 to say look it up on google
- 32 to post pictures of light bulbs to this non-binaries group
- 17 "business" experts saying it is impossible to turn a profit changing
lightbulbs and how much it actually costs a "professional" lightbulb changer
in supplies, overhead, labor, insurance, etc to come in and change it for
you.
- 93 or so that will tell you that you HAVE to HAVE the $1,499 light bulb
changer as opposed to the $8.99 at HD or Lowe's, even if you only change
lightbulbs on the weekends.
- 9 reminding you that light bulbs don't need changing under Linux - ever!
- 4 saying how under Mac O.S. xx anyone can change a bulb right out of the
box.
- 3 to blame Bill Clinton for the fact that the original bulb burned out.
- 3 more to say that George Bush is too dumb to change a light bulb.
- 3 math flamers saying: I get 1621, not 1331.
- 43 asking for plans on how to change a light bulb.
- 1 posting 27 unrelated plans, that were found while searching for
plans on how to change a light bulb.
- 31 saying that Real Light Bulb Changers don't use plans.......
- 12 complaining about top posters!
- 21 warning of the dangers of DUST generated while changing said light
bulb!
- 1 to quote the statistics of the thread.
- 42 to complain that the light bulbs you get from Sears are crap.
- 27 criticizing Norm for using light bulbs instead of illuminating his shop
with candles like the true craftsmen would have done in the old days.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

5 to post suggestions for special tooling to change the light
bulb.

16 to show how the light bulb changer could be driven by CNC

24 to debate which of the PC-based CNC programs is best for
the task.

8 to redesign the socket and the bulb base to make the changing
easier to automate.

5 to suggest adapting a turret tool changer to the task.

37 to debate whether the bulb base should be designed around
CAT-40 or quick-switch spindles.

13 to debate the maximum RPM at which these bulbs may be operated.

104 to discuss the dangers of centrifugal explosion of light bulbs
at high RPMs

27 to point out that there is no such thing as centrifual force.

I'm sure that you can come up with more.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

16 to show how the light bulb changer could be driven by CNC

24 to debate which of the PC-based CNC programs is best for
the task.

7 to write operational code to run the CNC changer
Stephen

Default Changing a ligt bulb at Microsoft was Changing a light bulb on R.C.M

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

Question: Mow many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light
bulb?

Answer: Three - Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a
faucet.

Scp

Don Bruder

In article ,
"Stephen" wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

Question: Mow many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light
bulb?

Answer: Three - Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a
faucet.

Nice try, but that answer is wrong.

The correct answer is "zero" - Microsoft's oft-demonstrated attitude is
"What do you mean, CHANGE it? Screw that! We're gonna rewrite the
standards to make darkness equal light."

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
Koz

You forgot the team to replace it a second and third time because the
light bulb was a bug-ridden beta release disguised (and priced) as
finished goods.

Koz

Stephen wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
y.com...

How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

Question: Mow many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light
bulb?

Answer: Three - Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a
faucet.

Scp

JTMcC

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

3 to point out that it is Bill Gates fault that the bulb burned out in the
first place.

3 more to blame Ronald Reagan.

30 to blame Bush.

About 12 to complain about outsourcing to India, and ask if anyone knows of
any programing jobs.

1 lone soul to blame Bill Clinton.

1 nut to say that we are destroying the planet to generate electricity to
power your light bulb, and you should replace it with an organic candle.

Several to decry the light bulb industry for the "obscene" markup on
lightbulbs.

1 to explain how to weld the fillament back together. (with a 110 volt wire
feeder of course).

928 to insist that only a Miller 110 volt wire feeder will do the job.

1002 to insist that it must be a Lincoln.

2 to ask if flux core wire will work.

1 old timer to recomend hammer welding the thing.

8 guys to say they have oxy/acy welded thousands of fillaments back
together.

121 to comment that "if you can't TIG it, then stay on the porch".

6 to ask if they can TIG it with CO2, so they don't have to buy another
bottle.

347 people to debate weather you can buy, or have to lease a big argon
cylinder.

13 to decry the use of "made in china" light bulbs.

a couple more to blame it all on Gates.

1 to link to his ebay auction of light bulbs.

6 to call that ebay guy a spammer.

1 guy to describe how he powers his light bulbs with a home made VW diesel
running on bio diesel fuel.

and, 2,379 to say "I don't know about light bulbs, I've never owned a light
bulb, never seen a light bulb nor changed one...... BUT, here is what I
would do....".

JTMcC.

Gunner

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:37:00 GMT, "Stephen" wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
y.com...
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

Question: Mow many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light
bulb?

Answer: Three - Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a
faucet.

Scp

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mt. Dew on the monitor......

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Larry Jaques

This thread reminds me of the quote I used on my QA manager at
SouthCom, Int'l. back in the 70's.

"Buying quality is like buying oats. If you want good oats you must
pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already
passed through a horse, the price is a little cheaper."

LJ
Owner of several M$ public Beta products.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:37:23 -0700, Koz
brought forth from the murky
depths:

Stephen wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
gy.com...

How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

Question: Mow many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light
bulb?

Answer: Three - Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a
faucet.

Scp

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Todd Rearick

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.com...
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been

changed

...I think I'll wait like 2-3 months and then post just that to the group.
Nothing like trying a little experiment.

Stephen

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:37:00 GMT, "Stephen" wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
y.com...
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a

light
bulb?

Question: Mow many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light
bulb?

Answer: Three - Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a
faucet.

Scp

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always liked that joke (had a copy of it stuck on the wall for about
10 years). It pretty much reflects my opinion of what software geeks know
about how anything in the real world works. Probably half of them need to
call someone in to replace a bulb, a broken washing machine or a dripping
faucet, forget about it. The only options they have are to call a repairman
or replace it. Some of them will throw all caution to the wind and try to
fix it; it usually ends in utter failure and they resolve to never again try
something that foolish.

Had a brother-in-law that decided he was going to do some woodworking so he
went out and bought a new radial arm saw. Used it once and had a piece of
wood go flying across the basement, put it up for sale the next day. He
wasn't a software geek, something even worse, a car salesman. Most of us on
RCM would make a new part before we would admit defeat.

Scp

John Husvar

Why wrote:
13 to decry the use of "made in china" light bulbs.

Well no wonder the damn blub burned out....

Light bulbs do not burn out: They fill up.

This is because they do not emit light.

Light bulb is a misnomer. They are really dark absorbers. Once they have
absorbed all the dark they can they appear dark, naturally. They're full
after all.

They then must be replaced with new, empty ones since they cannot just
be emptied and put back into service.

A.Gent

"John Husvar" wrote in message
Why wrote:
13 to decry the use of "made in china" light bulbs.

Well no wonder the damn blub burned out....

Light bulbs do not burn out: They fill up.

This is because they do not emit light.

Light bulb is a misnomer. They are really dark absorbers. Once they have
absorbed all the dark they can they appear dark, naturally. They're full
after all.

They then must be replaced with new, empty ones since they cannot just
be emptied and put back into service.

....and semiconductors, conversely, are manufactured with a small quantity of smoke
inside them. When circuit conditions are suitable, they will discharge that smoke
into the atmosphere, and will then need to be replaced or re-filled.

PR

I have always liked that joke (had a copy of it stuck on the wall for about
10 years). It pretty much reflects my opinion of what software geeks know
about how anything in the real world works. Probably half of them need to
call someone in to replace a bulb, a broken washing machine or a dripping
faucet, forget about it. The only options they have are to call a repairman
or replace it. Some of them will throw all caution to the wind and try to
fix it; it usually ends in utter failure and they resolve to never again try
something that foolish.

A nerd reveals his ignorance (as do AP and the BBC) :

"The new chips will combine two microprocessors onto a single piece of silicon.
It is "like putting two cylinders in a car instead of having one big cylinder," technology analyst Nathan Brookwood told AP news
agency."

Joel Corwith

"PR" wrote in message
I have always liked that joke (had a copy of it stuck on the wall for

about
10 years). It pretty much reflects my opinion of what software geeks

know
about how anything in the real world works. Probably half of them need

call someone in to replace a bulb, a broken washing machine or a

dripping
faucet, forget about it. The only options they have are to call a

repairman
or replace it. Some of them will throw all caution to the wind and try

fix it; it usually ends in utter failure and they resolve to never again

try
something that foolish.

Kinda like sports players having to call AAA to change a flat, only the
geeks could at least learn how to do it.

Joel. phx

A nerd reveals his ignorance (as do AP and the BBC) :

"The new chips will combine two microprocessors onto a single piece of

silicon.
It is "like putting two cylinders in a car instead of having one big

cylinder," technology analyst Nathan Brookwood told AP news
agency."

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:12:51 GMT, John Husvar

Why wrote:
13 to decry the use of "made in china" light bulbs.

Well no wonder the damn blub burned out....

Light bulbs do not burn out: They fill up.

This is because they do not emit light.

Light bulb is a misnomer. They are really dark absorbers. Once they have
absorbed all the dark they can they appear dark, naturally. They're full
after all.

They then must be replaced with new, empty ones since they cannot just
be emptied and put back into service.

Here's the true story, John:
--snip--
The Dark Sucker Theory

For years, it has been believed that electric bulbs emit light, but
recent information has proved otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit
light; they suck dark. Thus, we call these bulbs Dark Suckers. The
Dark Sucker Theory and the existence of dark suckers prove that dark
has mass and is heavier than light.

First, the basis of the Dark Sucker Theory is that electric bulbs suck
dark. For example, take the Dark Sucker in the room you are in. There
is much less dark right next to it than there is elsewhere. The larger
the Dark Sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark Suckers
in the parking lot have a much greater capacity to suck dark than the
ones in this room.

So with all things, Dark Suckers don't last forever. Once they are
full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the dark spot
on a full Dark Sucker. The dark which has been absorbed is then
transmitted by pylons along to power plants where the machinery uses
fossil fuel to destroy it.

A candle is a primitive Dark Sucker. A new candle has a white wick.
You can see that after the first use, the wick turns black,
representing all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you put a
pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, it will turn black.
This is because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle.
One of the disadvantages of these primitive Dark Suckers is their
limited range.

There are also portable Dark Suckers. In these, the bulbs can't handle
all the dark by themselves and must be aided by a Dark Storage Unit.
When the Dark Storage Unit is full, it must be either emptied or
replaced before the portable Dark Sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a Dark Sucker, friction from the
mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating Dark
Sucker. Candles present a special problem as the mass must travel into
a solid wick instead of through clear glass. This generates a great
amount of heat and therefore it's not wise to touch an operating
candle.

This is easily proven for lightbulbs too. When you compress a gas, it
gets hot, right? So the light bulb gets hot because of all the dark
being squished into the wires.

Also, dark is heavier than light. If you were to swim just below the
surface of the lake, you would see a lot of light. If you were to
slowly swim deeper and deeper, you would notice it getting darker and
darker. When you get really deep, you would be in total darkness. This
is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the
lighter light floats at the top. The is why it is called light.

Dark Suckers are only able to suck dark in a straight line. Dark,
because of its mass, will not penetrate solid, opaque objects as it is
being sucked by a Dark Sucker. When a Dark Sucker is operating, you
will notice that dark that is behind a solid, opaque object does not
flow through the object or around it to the Dark Sucker. Some of the
dark will accumulate on the side of the object away from the Dark
Sucker as the Dark Sucker attempts to pull it through the object.
These residual patches of dark are often referred to as `shadows.'

Some surfaces are able to function as secondary Dark Suckers by
sucking the dark from behind solid objects at an angle and then
rerouting it to the primary Dark Sucker. These surfaces have a
property we refer to as `reflective.'

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to
stand in a lit room in front of a closed, dark closet, and slowly
opened the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the
closet. But since dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the
dark leave the closet.

So next time you see an electric bulb, remember that it is not a light
emitter but a Dark Sucker.
--snip--
Gathered from some BBS within the last decade or two.

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

larry g

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
How many rec.crafts.metalworking members does it takes to change a light
bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been

changed

5 to post suggestions for special tooling to change the light
bulb.

BIG SNIP
Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

And one to whine that the special characters wig out his Unix box, and
proceed to give lessons on how to do things correctly.

lg
no neat sig line

John Husvar

Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's the true story, John:
--snip--
The Dark Sucker Theory

Very cool, a much more detailed explanation of the phenomenon.

Thank you.

John

Sunworshiper

On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:37:46 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

And the trees waving around is what causes the wind to blow.

ROTF , that's a good one. Should have seen my 65 ' Elm tree in 75 mph
winds last night.
Old Nick

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 00:14:40 +1000, mastic donttry@thisaddress
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

You know, the list forgot top and bottom posting and not snipping.

Mastic you silly arsehole. Go sit on a lightbulb.

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

snipped

Me too.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad

Changing A Lightbulb, A lesson in Posting? Boris Beizer Metalworking 5 March 27th 04 12:20 AM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM
Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 11:56 AM