A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Metalworking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Stick welding Sheet Metal



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 3rd 04, 06:14 AM
Alon Seal
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stick welding Sheet Metal

I've read through this newsgroup plenty of times, and I know this is a
dead-horse type topic. But I was hoping someone has a step by step
web site on the finer points of stick welding sheet metal.

I got the following...
1. low amps, small rod (1/16)
2. NO gap, tight, clean fitup
3. Move fast (2 inches per second was what one previous posted said)

can anyone add anything else? How great would it be if someone out
there has a FAQ for Stick Welding sheetmetal. (I've googled, but no
luck)

Thanks for any feedbacks.
Ads
  #2  
Old May 3rd 04, 11:47 AM
Ernie Leimkuhler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stick welding Sheet Metal

In article , Alon Seal
wrote:

I've read through this newsgroup plenty of times, and I know this is a
dead-horse type topic. But I was hoping someone has a step by step
web site on the finer points of stick welding sheet metal.

I got the following...
1. low amps, small rod (1/16)
2. NO gap, tight, clean fitup
3. Move fast (2 inches per second was what one previous posted said)

can anyone add anything else? How great would it be if someone out
there has a FAQ for Stick Welding sheetmetal. (I've googled, but no
luck)

Thanks for any feedbacks.


Wrong newsgroup.

Check out

sci.engr.joining.welding

Your best rod for sheet metal will be 6013.
Low penetration and very ductile welds.

If you need to run vertical beads, run them downhill fast.
  #5  
Old May 4th 04, 02:39 AM
John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stick welding Sheet Metal

Alon Seal wrote:
I've read through this newsgroup plenty of times, and I know this is a
dead-horse type topic. But I was hoping someone has a step by step
web site on the finer points of stick welding sheet metal.

I got the following...
1. low amps, small rod (1/16)
2. NO gap, tight, clean fitup
3. Move fast (2 inches per second was what one previous posted said)

can anyone add anything else?


I use 3/32 dia E7014 (iron powder in the coating)
at about 90 Amps AC to weld 16 Ga. or less sheet
metal. Practice by first laying beads on top of
..06" sheet steel without burning holes in it.
Next exercise is to close any holes that you did
burn thru. After mastering this repeat the exercise
on .03" thick sheet metal. Learn from the results
of moving too fast or too slow, also when using a
short arc and what happens with a long arc. HTH.
--
SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS
Have 5 nice days! John
******************************
--- ILN 000.000.001 ---

  #6  
Old May 4th 04, 03:19 AM
Alon Seal
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stick welding Sheet Metal

John wrote:

I use 3/32 dia E7014 (iron powder in the coating)
at about 90 Amps AC to weld 16 Ga. or less sheet
metal. Practice by first laying beads on top of
.06" sheet steel without burning holes in it.
Next exercise is to close any holes that you did
burn thru. After mastering this repeat the exercise
on .03" thick sheet metal. Learn from the results
of moving too fast or too slow, also when using a
short arc and what happens with a long arc. HTH.


I'm not sure what gauge metal I'm working with. It's a hood off a late 90's
Buick Skylark (guess what color :-( ). That's my practice piece. Got it
for $10 at a junk yard.

I am able to lay a bead on the clean metal, no problem. I can do it
repeatedly without burning any holes. (30amps, 6013 stick, AC) But, as I
work on joints, that's where I'm having trouble.

Overlapping joints - I could get some spots to stick, but most other spots
ended up looking like a saw-tooth, with burn-through on the top piece.

___________
| |_____________
| | |
| Top X | X is welded spots
| Piece | is burn through spots
| | |
| X |
| Bottom |
| | Piece |
|___________| |
|_______________|

Where the spots are welded, it actually feels very strong. I can beat it
with a hammer, and bend it, and it doesn't give much.

Am I moving too slow? I'm trying to do spots first, as tacks. How fast can
/ should I move if I'm making tack welds?

(I've checked out AssieWeld.com thoroughly, and applied most of what they
describe.)

(I've posted this also on sci.engr.joining.welding, as well.)

Thanks for the replies.
  #7  
Old May 4th 04, 03:21 AM
Alon Seal
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stick welding Sheet Metal

Alon Seal wrote:
___________
| |_____________
| | |
| Top X | X is welded spots
| Piece | is burn through spots
| | |
| X |
| Bottom |
| | Piece |
|___________| |
|_______________|

dag, don't forget ASCII art only works with proportional fonts (Courier,etc)
  #8  
Old May 4th 04, 03:39 AM
DoN. Nichols
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stick welding Sheet Metal

In article ,
Alon Seal wrote:
Alon Seal wrote:
___________
| |_____________
| | |
| Top X | X is welded spots
| Piece | is burn through spots
| | |
| X |
| Bottom |
| | Piece |
|___________| |
|_______________|

dag, don't forget ASCII art only works with proportional fonts (Courier,etc)


You mean mono-space (*non*-proportional), and yes, Courier is an
example.

Based on *this* image, he *did* use a mono-space font, as it
looks fine to me, and I only read news with mono-space fonts. If he had
used a proportional-space font, I would expect the right-edge to be
jagged, where the text replaced the spaces with different widths.

Are you perhaps trying to read it with a proportional font?
After all, both ends have to agree, and with proportional space fonts,
there are differences between the same named font on different machines,
That is why the fixed-space fonts are the proper choice -- they work on
*all* systems -- even old ASCII terminals, or even with Teletypes.

He even resisted the urge to use tabs, which don't always work
between systems, and are certainly screwed up by the "" quoting marks
as people reply to the article.

Enjoy,
DoN.


--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
cutting sheet metal with circular saw???? Roy Jenson Metalworking 3 August 31st 03 05:11 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
Sheet Metal Richard Ferguson Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 05:19 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.