Rick Maston

Default Lincoln tig foot pedal problem?

I've got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder. Today the foot pedal
was acting up. Sometimes the pedal would respond and sometimes not. I
checked the ground to the welding table. The arc would sometimes stop
in the middle of the weld.It seems to me the problem is in the pedal.
At times I needed to throttle the pedal to get an arc started. The gas
solenoid is responding. Do foot pedals wear out?
Richard Ferguson

Sounds like a bad connection. I suggest unplugging the foot pedal and
plugging it back in, see if that helps. Then open up the foot pedal
itself and see if you can see a bad connection. The foot pedal has two
things in it, I think, a rheostat for the current and a switch for the
gas and power. Rheostats can go bad, but can sometimes be fixed with a
spray from radio shack, look for one for volume controls.

Another possibility is some kine of mechanical failure inside the pedal,
but this sounds like an intermittent electrical problem

Rick Maston wrote:
I've got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder. Today the foot pedal
was acting up. Sometimes the pedal would respond and sometimes not. I
checked the ground to the welding table. The arc would sometimes stop
in the middle of the weld.It seems to me the problem is in the pedal.
At times I needed to throttle the pedal to get an arc started. The gas
solenoid is responding. Do foot pedals wear out?

Mark

"Rick Maston" wrote in message
om...
I've got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder. Today the foot pedal
was acting up. Sometimes the pedal would respond and sometimes not. I
checked the ground to the welding table. The arc would sometimes stop
in the middle of the weld.It seems to me the problem is in the pedal.
At times I needed to throttle the pedal to get an arc started. The gas
solenoid is responding. Do foot pedals wear out?

Yes.
You have a single range foot switch? Or the Foot Amptrol?

Karl Townsend

Another possibility is some kine of mechanical failure inside the pedal,
but this sounds like an intermittent electrical problem

Another possible. The wire right before the foot pedal connection gets
flexed and abused a lot. One of the little wires inside the cable may have
broken and only work when the pedal is just so. This happened to me on my
cnc mill limit switch. Drove me nuts (short trip for me) with intermittent
failure.

Karl

Dan Caster

I agree with Richard, but first would use a ohmmeter and check the
readings at the plug to the foot pedal. IIRC there are four wires,
two to the switch and two to the rheostat. I think the rheostat is 5
kohm.

Dan

Richard Ferguson wrote in message ...
Sounds like a bad connection. I suggest unplugging the foot pedal and
plugging it back in, see if that helps. Then open up the foot pedal
itself and see if you can see a bad connection. The foot pedal has two
things in it, I think, a rheostat for the current and a switch for the
gas and power. Rheostats can go bad, but can sometimes be fixed with a
spray from radio shack, look for one for volume controls.

Another possibility is some kine of mechanical failure inside the pedal,
but this sounds like an intermittent electrical problem

Rick Maston

"Mark" wrote in message ink.net...
"Rick Maston" wrote in message
om...
I've got a Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig welder. Today the foot pedal
was acting up. Sometimes the pedal would respond and sometimes not. I
checked the ground to the welding table. The arc would sometimes stop
in the middle of the weld.It seems to me the problem is in the pedal.
At times I needed to throttle the pedal to get an arc started. The gas
solenoid is responding. Do foot pedals wear out?

Yes.
You have a single range foot switch? Or the Foot Amptrol?

Thanks everbody for the replies1 I have a Amptrol. I disconnected the
plug that goes to the machine and re plugged it in and all seems fine.

Vokera Excell 80E overheat problem anon UK diy 1 December 3rd 03 05:26 PM
Combi DHW output problem Neil UK diy 0 December 2nd 03 10:44 PM
Combi DHW output problem Neil UK diy 0 December 2nd 03 10:36 PM
100mm extractor hood ducting problem PoP UK diy 5 November 18th 03 11:07 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 11:00 PM