Roy

Default Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding

I got tasked (by the better half) to make good onmy promise to make
her some outside wrought iron items. Trellis, gate way arches, tables,
stands, arbors etc etc etc....(she has quite an extensive list).
Anyway I got a King Decorative Metal Supply catalog of all kinds of
pre-made components for this type stuff, and have a question or two on
welding things up.

Lots of their design compnents are made from cast iron. Lots are made
out of cast aluminum, however the cast alum pieces have steel weld
tabs cast into them so joining them to structural steel tube is not a
problem. Just how do you attach the cast iron pieces to the tube? Is
this normally welded to the tube by way of MIG or is it brazed O/A

I have only a MIG, and stick machine, but a lot of what the wife wants
is cast iron decorative compnents such as a series of corner brackets
and freizes etc that need to be incorporated into the trellis and
arbors etc. Is MIG suitable to attach the cast iron to the steel
support tubes?

What had started out as a simple project using a ring roller and
scroll former soon turned into a nightmare once the wife seen all the
designs and components in the King Metals catalog, now its a nightmare
trying to decide what one really wants and what components to
use........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
SteveB

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Roy:

My experience with cast iron in making decorative steel:

I have welded on thousands of spear points, decorations, and such. They
WILL work, but are subject to breaking from brittleness. Be careful with
the handling and points where stress will be applied. This would be
particularly so where you use a decoration in a corner like a gusset, or in
a place where it can flex. I have never bought the solid cast iron pieces,
as our local suppliers only have the aluminum with inserts.

I first saw the solid cast iron pieces when I visited the decorativeiron.com
store in Houston. They have some pretty awesome cast iron pieces that would
make good looking stuff, but they are PRICEY and HEAVY. Just depends on
what you are making. I, personally, would try to sell the wife away from
the cast iron to the aluminum for brittleness, cost, and weight factors.
Once it is painted, it pretty much looks the same.

A word of advice: Make the wife WHATEVER she wants, and HOWEVER she wants
it. It will buy you a LOT of peace. And her attitude towards your "hobby"
will be very positive. Plus, you will be getting experience with this stuff
that you can carry on to job$ for other people. Also, dealing with her, and
doing it the way she wants it, and change this, change that, gives you real
world experience for when you run into a client like that.

HTH.

Steve, who had a wrought iron business for nine years.

SteveB

Default Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding/post script

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Forgot to say that I used the MIG process to weld the tabs on the aluminum
castings. You can weld the cast iron onto the tubing with MIG, but you will
get a broad range of welds due to the metal content in the casting, sand in
the castings, hitting the aluminum, voids behind the weld that allows air to
get in the backside, porosity, all sorts of things. But, they generally
hold up pretty good, and once you paint a lot of it disappears.

HTH

Steve

Roy

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:32:54 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

===
==="Roy" wrote in message
[...]
=== Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,
[...]

Thanks steve

Thats sort of what I had figured. YUou could probably stick it
together and as long as no stress is applied it may hold up in certain
applications. Now all I have to do is persuade her to change her mind
on sme of her patterns she wants and find it in alum with weld tabs or
beter yet even steel pieces.

Your right, Decorativeiron.com has some awesome pieces. SOme are
pretty darn $$ but lots for the most part are next to ther price of
dirt. And a lot of those are way more decorative than the average
wrought iron railing and furniture etc commonly seen so you can still
find a ton of pieces and come up with a unique item in the end.

I priced handrail and also the pre-punched channel for pickets locally
and the local price was over 50% higher tna buying from decorative
Iron even with shipping, and then no tax either which would cost me
another 11% locally. I just wish there was a decent way to ship pieces
over 9 foot as I could just picture what a trucking company would do
with 20 foot sticks until it got delivered.

Once again I appreciate the info, now I got to talk to the wife.......
Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Jim C Roberts

Roy,

Speaking of the better half, how is she after yall's little incident a few
months ago? Sounds like she is doing quite well, got you jumping on the
"honey-do" list hot and heavy. 8^)

Seriously, hope you are both doing well and best of luck with your
projects.

Regards,
Jim C Roberts

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Roy
wrote:

[...]

Usually the cast iron pieces are annealed so they are weldable.
The simplest solution is to Stick weld them with nickle rod, or MIG
weld them with stainless steel wire.
309 would be my choice in SS.
Roy

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:36:56 -0400, "Jim C Roberts"
jimnthem_AT_comcast_DOT_net wrote:

===Roy,
===
=== Speaking of the better half, how is she after yall's little incident a few
===months ago? Sounds like she is doing quite well, got you jumping on the
==="honey-do" list hot and heavy. 8^)
===
=== Seriously, hope you are both doing well and best of luck with your
===projects.
===
=== Regards,
=== Jim C Roberts
===

The Better half is doing great considering all she has been through.
She currently has her jaws wired shut for about 3 weeks now and
another 3 or so weeks to go. They just rebuilt her jaw as the impact
also messed up her jaw bone joint and had muscles andligaments torn in
it, so now she is recovering just fine from that. Still has one more
definate surgery and thats for the plate to cover what could not be
salvaged of her skull, probably somewhere around July or August. Still
has problems with her left ear and they are trying drugs etc to see
what they can do before opting on surgery for thaty problem. So other
than just being at home and bored to death and wanting to get back to
work she is doing great. I know I wuld probably have put a rope around
my neck by now if I went through what that woman did. I have to hand
it to her, never had one bad word to say and just took and continues
to take every day with a good outlook.

I appreciate your asking about her and myself. Me, heck got
replacement teeth but lost them somewhere around the property........i
hated them anyhow. The other damages to me just improved my looks.

Regards
Roy
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Ken Cutt

Roy wrote:
[...]

I weld cast quite often . I just use a reg stick welder and Nirod .
Nirods are great but be ready for sticker shock and they go fast . Luck
Ken Cutt