Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Can I transport an air compressor on its side?

I have a small air compressor that I'm adding wheels and a handle to for
easier mobility. If I make the handle as long as I'd like it to be, it
won't fit upright in my car. It is an oil-type compressor. Can I turn
it on its side in the car?

I think I can, but I know you can't do it with gas engines and although
I know that they're different, I want to make sure that I'm not missing
anything.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I have a small air compressor that I'm adding wheels and a handle to for
easier mobility. If I make the handle as long as I'd like it to be, it
won't fit upright in my car. It is an oil-type compressor. Can I turn
it on its side in the car?

I think I can, but I know you can't do it with gas engines and although
I know that they're different, I want to make sure that I'm not missing
anything.

Thanks,
Bob

You'll more than likely spill oil, and yes, you can put gas engines on
their side, if you couldn't we wouldn't have chain saws and weed
wackers. Yes an engine that's not designed for it will spill gas and
oil, but it won't hurt the engine.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Pete C. wrote:
... you can put gas engines on
their side, if you couldn't we wouldn't have chain saws and weed
wackers. ...

'Cause they're 2 cycle engines. You turn a 4 cycle (i.e., one with oil
in the crankcase) on its side and the oil will run through the PCV valve
into the carburetor. BTDT, more than once.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:40:51 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a small air compressor that I'm adding wheels and a handle to for
easier mobility. If I make the handle as long as I'd like it to be, it
won't fit upright in my car. It is an oil-type compressor. Can I turn
it on its side in the car?

I think I can, but I know you can't do it with gas engines and although
I know that they're different, I want to make sure that I'm not missing
anything.

Depends on where the crankcase vent for the compressor is, most of
them are on the end of the oil filler/dipstick cap. If the filler
will end up on top, not a problem. Other considerations are whether
the shaft seal is really good (or just out of the splash zone), and
whether there are any other leaks above the normal oil level, like
where the cylinder(s) bolt to the block casting.

I'd think it would be a heck of a lot easier to make the handle
either removable or folding so you can place the compressor in the car
upright, and not worry about it because oil leaks will be a non-issue
- unless you start driving like a madman and tip it over...

Look at rotary power mowers for easy ways to make the handle fold.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
... you can put gas engines on
their side, if you couldn't we wouldn't have chain saws and weed
wackers. ...

'Cause they're 2 cycle engines. You turn a 4 cycle (i.e., one with oil
in the crankcase) on its side and the oil will run through the PCV valve
into the carburetor. BTDT, more than once.

Bob

I've never had that happen. Of course I generally keep the carb on top.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

I have a small air compressor that I'm adding wheels and a handle to for
easier mobility. If I make the handle as long as I'd like it to be, it
won't fit upright in my car. It is an oil-type compressor. Can I turn
it on its side in the car?

I think I can, but I know you can't do it with gas engines and although
I know that they're different, I want to make sure that I'm not missing
anything.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
I think I would just make the handle out of a piece of 1/2" pipe, "T"
in shape with the bottom of the "T" capable of slipping into another
piece of larger pipe with a thumbscrew to lock it into place. Loosen
thumbscrew, slip out the handle, load the compressor....
HTH.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
Depends on where the crankcase vent for the compressor is, ...
shaft seal is really good ... any other leaks ...

Oh, yeah - the crankcase *is* vented (through dipstick). I didn't like
the idea of tipping it, but it was the easy way out.

Look at rotary power mowers for easy ways to make the handle fold.

I was thinking about a folding handle, but not the lawnmower style. But
now that you mention it, I like it. In fact I went to the dump and got
a lawnmower handle and used it:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/compressor.jpg

I also added the wheels and the handle in front. Very mobile now.
Before it was a very awkward one hand carry or a 2-handed
pressed-to-your-body carry. The handle in front also allows a 2-person
carry up stairs.

Thanks,
Bob

BTW - this was a dump find. It's a "1 1/2 hp" (yeah, right) Rol-Air.
Oil type and pretty quiet.