Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best way to get oil into Gits Spring Loaded Ball Cups???

What is the best way to get oil into the Gits flush drive ball cups
that have the small spring loaded ball? I tried a needle oiler and more
oil ran out than in. This is on a rotary table and I have no idea why
they used this because the gears run in an oil bath and it takes more
than a few drops of oil to fill it? Thanks for any help...-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the best way to get oil into the Gits flush drive ball cups
that have the small spring loaded ball? I tried a needle oiler and more
oil ran out than in. This is on a rotary table and I have no idea why
they used this because the gears run in an oil bath and it takes more
than a few drops of oil to fill it? Thanks for any help...-Steve

I have a bunch of them. I took a little suction cup off a window decoration
thingy, punched a hole in it and stuck it on a pump oiler...works perfectly!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 23 May 2006 21:38:58 -0700, "
wrote:

What is the best way to get oil into the Gits flush drive ball cups
that have the small spring loaded ball? I tried a needle oiler and more
oil ran out than in. This is on a rotary table and I have no idea why
they used this because the gears run in an oil bath and it takes more
than a few drops of oil to fill it? Thanks for any help...-Steve

Take a good pump oiler and file the diamter of the tip down so it fits
the hole tightly. THen use a three cornered file to file a x shaped
groove across the face of the tip.

This pushed the ball back, and seals the hole, and the grooves make
sure that the ball doesnt plug off the tip.

Works like a charm.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

Hey gunner, I was goiing to say that! I would have had the guy put the tip
of the oiler in a lathe and turn and polish the tip round tho and then cut a
pair of grooves in with a fine saw. Same basic end results tho.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

Jeez Guys,

Just go out an buy an oiler made to do it.. I have a couple of old (well not
THAT old ) pump oilers, one is USA brand the other is a classic old "Golden
Rod"... both of them CAME from the factory with a cone shaped nozzle on
them and the USA has the groove... BTW I've never had any problems with
either pumping oil passed the ball.

--.- Dave