Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Default run car on moonshine

"wayne mak" wrote in message
From what I have read and seen on the news they are using 180 proof. ****
the oil industry, if this country could reduce imports by 10% that would

hit
hard in some parts.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

The way I understand it, you can use 180 proof, or even less if you aren't
mixing with gasoline. If you do mix with gas, the water separates out and
gives you trouble. If you don't mix with gas, the government gives you
trouble.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Mark Rand wrote:

Wasn't talking about enzymes... If you heat cellulose enough in the absence of
oxygen (sawdust, paper, cotton, corn stalks/husks) then you end up with
charcoal, methanol and gunk. the methanol can be used as fuel and the rest can
be used to heat the still. Of course I did this 30 years ago at a time in my
life when I didn't use my brain for thinking, so I might be a bit hazy on the
economies of the reaction.

30 years ago you might have gotten away
with using "gunk" as a fuel as well.
Unless you live a long way from neighbors
you probably can't do it now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

Try this site, http://www.dogwoodenergy.com/

Build or buy a still (~$1,400 each)

--

Clif

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

From what I have read and seen on the news they are using 180 proof. ****

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

The way I understand it, you can use 180 proof, or even less if you aren't
mixing with gasoline. If you do mix with gas, the water separates out and
gives you trouble. If you don't mix with gas, the government gives you
trouble.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Or we could try this
http://www.rvi.net/~mdhorban/hybridmotorcycle.htm

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
> [...]

"wayne mak" wrote in message
From what I have read and seen on the news they are using 180 proof.
****

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

The way I understand it, you can use 180 proof, or even less if you
aren't
mixing with gasoline. If you do mix with gas, the water separates out and
gives you trouble. If you don't mix with gas, the government gives you
trouble.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Diamond Jim

"gfulton" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message k.net...
Gas will soon be $3/gal. I live in corn country, its $2/bushel. My car
will run on E85, that's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

So can I buy/build a high efficiency fermenter and still that does, say

5
gallons a day? I'd run it all winter and use the waste heat to keep the
shop warm. Seen any good proven designs? How about one that uses a corn
burner boiler (readily purchased) as the heat source for the still?

BTW, I may need some quality control help to make sure its really 200
proof VBG

--
(©¿©) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Karl Townsend

Karl,
The Mother Earth News magazine built an alcohol still back in one of
their articles about 20 something years ago. I believe I've still got it

in
the basement amongst all the old issues. Do a google search on it and it
should turn up. I remember the guy that designed it was named Dennis
Burkholder and he claimed that burning the corncobs provided all the heat

he
needed for distillation. Also found that putting glass marbles in the
cooling column enhanced production by giving the vapors something to
condense on, if I remember that correctly. Good interesting article and

he
ran some engines off if it, I believe. Hope this helps.

Garrett Fulton

That article is probably older than that. I bought this house 21 years ago,
and I still have a bunch of the old Mother Earth News magazine from before I
moved here. In fact buying this house was the second move from where I lived
when I used to get the magazines. I am pretty sure the article was in one of
the first 60 issues which would put it into the 70's. I know where the
magazines are and I may just look for the article the next time it rains,
and I can't work outside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Glenn" wrote in message
Or we could try this
http://www.rvi.net/~mdhorban/hybridmotorcycle.htm

Hey! I'm eating over here!

I almost never click on links, but that was funny...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laszlo Nemeth

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2006 13:27:36 -0600, Laszlo Nemeth wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 08:32:10 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

You realize that we import only about 20% from OPEC countries, don't
you?

Great. So lets offset _that_ 20% first then.

easy don't drive 1 day a week.

Yeah, easy. Except that I need to, you know, get to work. We've
brought up the 4x10 hour days (heh...instead of 5 of them...) which went
over like a fart in church.

whats wrong with farting in church? think different.
i carpool ~2 days a week to work. my wife and i each have
a car. when i carpool with her i leave the car at the
office, that way i can deal with any emergancy/errends
that need to be run. the only down side is i don't get my alone
time between the home and the office (and i have to listen to
her music). it does help that my office isn't to far out of
her way.

laz
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 25 May 2006 13:09:53 -0600, Laszlo Nemeth wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Yeah, easy. Except that I need to, you know, get to work. We've
brought up the 4x10 hour days (heh...instead of 5 of them...) which went
over like a fart in church.

whats wrong with farting in church? think different.

That would be "differently" I think.

i carpool ~2 days a week to work. my wife and i each have
a car. when i carpool with her i leave the car at the
office, that way i can deal with any emergancy/errends
that need to be run. the only down side is i don't get my alone
time between the home and the office (and i have to listen to
her music). it does help that my office isn't to far out of
her way.

Not everyone has the option of carpooling. I live in a rather rural
area and work far from any mass transit stops. It's not an option for
me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Dave Hinz wrote:

Yeah, easy. Except that I need to, you know, get to work. We've
brought up the 4x10 hour days (heh...instead of 5 of them...) which went
over like a fart in church.

whats wrong with farting in church? think different.

That would be "differently" I think.

i carpool ~2 days a week to work. my wife and i each have
a car. when i carpool with her i leave the car at the
office, that way i can deal with any emergancy/errends
that need to be run. the only down side is i don't get my alone
time between the home and the office (and i have to listen to
her music). it does help that my office isn't to far out of
her way.

Not everyone has the option of carpooling. I live in a rather rural
area and work far from any mass transit stops. It's not an option for
me.

Well, ****, Dave, what are you thinking? Who the hell told you you could
live where you please? Ain't you got no environmental couth at all?

Rather rural area! You insufferable environment wrecker, you! The
country should be left completely back to the way Nature growed it,
doncha know that?

Ya oughta be moving back into the city, the inner city, and be helping
bring up those neighborhoods by their bootstraps. They ain't no crack
dealers or whores t' worry about! Them's just myths put out by the
neocons what wanna keep them poor, misunderstood, disadvantaged,
thieves, robbers, druggies, and whoring, pimpin' folks down!

If'n you move back, then you'll have all the mass transit you could ever
want. 'Course you might wanna watch out jist a little bit since your
predicted life span from the time you get on a subway 'til you _almost_
make it to your stop is, oh, about ten minutes. An' the transit cops
won't let you even try to resist: They gotta make up for their civil
serpents'salaries somehow since they're only making about three times
what you do, so they're in on the robberies!

There's some folks what keep a 20 or so to give to the muggers so they
might not get hurt. They say they consider it a tax for living in the
city. You gotta git wit Da Program, Man!

By the way: learn Spanish and Ebonics. That way they'll understand you
when you yell for help. Nobody'll come, especially if you live in NYC,
but they'll understand you.

OW! Sorry, got my tongue tangled in my eyeteeth for a second there and
couldn't see what I was saying.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 25 May 2006 20:06:15 GMT, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

Not everyone has the option of carpooling. I live in a rather rural
area and work far from any mass transit stops. It's not an option for
me.

Well, ****, Dave, what are you thinking? Who the hell told you you could
live where you please? Ain't you got no environmental couth at all?

I got so much couth I don't know where the fark to put it all, youse.

Rather rural area! You insufferable environment wrecker, you! The
country should be left completely back to the way Nature growed it,
doncha know that?

You bet. I'm a right menace, I am, what with grooming the land,
controlling the weeds, trimming the timber, controlling the pests (Oh
Noes! You killed that kute fluffy raccoon?), and all that good stuff.
And, on occasion, I even put _lead_ into the environment - what ever
should be done about this menace!

Ya oughta be moving back into the city, the inner city, and be helping
bring up those neighborhoods by their bootstraps.

Hm, I'd probably end up putting _more_ lead into the environment. Nope,
not gonna happen.

They ain't no crack
dealers or whores t' worry about! Them's just myths put out by the
neocons what wanna keep them poor, misunderstood, disadvantaged,
thieves, robbers, druggies, and whoring, pimpin' folks down!

Well, you know, if you just reason with them, they'll be nice to you.
Just like terrorists; they're only mad at us because we're mean to them.

If'n you move back, then you'll have all the mass transit you could ever
want. 'Course you might wanna watch out jist a little bit since your
predicted life span from the time you get on a subway 'til you _almost_
make it to your stop is, oh, about ten minutes.

That's unpossible! Big cities have gun control, so there aren't any
armed criminals, right? I mean, if I were to arm myself, I might hurt
someone's feelings while they're mugging me. After all, they might be
starting to think about considering turning their life around some day,
and you wouldn't want to deprive civilization of their contributions!

An' the transit cops
won't let you even try to resist: They gotta make up for their civil
serpents'salaries somehow since they're only making about three times
what you do, so they're in on the robberies!

I'm pretty sure they're not making 3x what I am. I hope. At least not
taxable income.

There's some folks what keep a 20 or so to give to the muggers so they
might not get hurt. They say they consider it a tax for living in the
city. You gotta git wit Da Program, Man!

I'd rather give 'em 230 grains of semi-precious metal delivered at 900
feet per second. Give or take. Metals are a great investment these
days. (seriously; gold, silver, copper, lead - they're all doing VERY
well. If you've got spare jingle consider getting in on it).

By the way: learn Spanish and Ebonics. That way they'll understand you
when you yell for help. Nobody'll come, especially if you live in NYC,
but they'll understand you.

NYC. Never heard of it. Is it nice there? Can I still have a range in
my back yard?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
snip---

That's unpossible! Big cities have gun control, so there aren't any
armed criminals, right? I mean, if I were to arm myself, I might hurt
someone's feelings while they're mugging me. After all, they might be
starting to think about considering turning their life around some day,
and you wouldn't want to deprive civilization of their contributions!

Heh!

Seems everyone that gets killed in the process of committing a crime was
"turning their life around".

A few years back, near our place, a guy got real tired of being burglarized,
so he sat in wait of the burglar. Sure enough, he showed up once again.
The victim shot at him, killed him dead as hell. Took a while, but he
was tried and exonerated of murder. The law figured the criminal got what
he deserved (Duh!).

His family was outraged. "He was just starting to change his life around",
one of them whined. Dumb ******* apparently didn't understand that you
don't rip people off in the process of doing that.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Dave Hinz wrote:

Yeah, easy. Except that I need to, you know, get to work. We've
brought up the 4x10 hour days (heh...instead of 5 of them...) which went
over like a fart in church.

whats wrong with farting in church? think different.

That would be "differently" I think.

i carpool ~2 days a week to work. my wife and i each have
a car. when i carpool with her i leave the car at the
office, that way i can deal with any emergancy/errends
that need to be run. the only down side is i don't get my alone
time between the home and the office (and i have to listen to
her music). it does help that my office isn't to far out of
her way.

Not everyone has the option of carpooling. I live in a rather rural
area and work far from any mass transit stops. It's not an option for
me.

Car pooling?

Its not possible for folks like me.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carneyke

Amen ! Move back to the city Dave and straighten it out. I live in a
"bedroom community" that has been destroyed by "commuters". Laughed my
butt off last night when AMTRAK lost power and the "commuters" spent 6
hours doing something they shouldn't be (working 80 miles from where
they live). Have "fun" commuting, it's the best part of the high gas
prices. Thanks for building your "mansions" on my old hunting
grounds..............
John Husvar wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 26 May 2006 07:43:33 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 25 May 2006 19:20:20 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Not everyone has the option of carpooling. I live in a rather rural
area and work far from any mass transit stops. It's not an option for
me.

Car pooling?
Its not possible for folks like me.

Oh, c'mon Gunner, I'm sure _someone_ could be found who would tolerate
your smell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 26 May 2006 04:16:30 -0700, carneyke wrote:
Amen ! Move back to the city Dave and straighten it out.

The city is more b0rken than I care to try to fix.

I live in a
"bedroom community" that has been destroyed by "commuters". Laughed my
butt off last night when AMTRAK lost power and the "commuters" spent 6
hours doing something they shouldn't be (working 80 miles from where
they live).

I work in IT and live between two IT job markets. It improves my
options immensely.

Have "fun" commuting, it's the best part of the high gas
prices. Thanks for building your "mansions" on my old hunting
grounds..............

Overgeneralize much? Pheasants Forever and Ducks Unlimited seem to feel
I'm doing things right, since they seem to keep wanting to cost-share
the habitat improvements I'm making on my 30 acres. The forester I
consult with is helping me to have a diverse forest _and_ future income
from timber. I'm controlling the weeds, participating in the community,
and would like to think I'm a net-positive to the land and the area.
My 32 minute drive, in an efficient clean car? It's a necessary evil,
and it's not all that big of a deal.

Why the rant, I wonder?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carneyke

Dave,
I do tend to fly off the handle ! Thanks for keeping your land open to
ducks & pheasants. Not many people that moved out of the city have any
tolerance for hunting (untill they total the SUV on a deer!). My rant
is over being displaced by people making big money and buying
everything and closing / developing property. Old people have to either
sell their homes or do a reverse mortgage to stay in the area. Farmers
are forced out by high taxes needed for all the services people moving
in the area want. If you are in real estate, then it's a good thing. If
you want to farm / hunt or enjoy open space it isn't. I am feeling the
way American Indians did 200 years ago. O'well, tough sugar ! BTW - you
handle criticism well and keep civil in your posts. Characteristics of
a good person. Sorry for offending thee. Take Care, Kevin

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 26 May 2006 09:00:59 -0700, carneyke wrote:
Dave,
I do tend to fly off the handle ! Thanks for keeping your land open to
ducks & pheasants. Not many people that moved out of the city have any
tolerance for hunting (untill they total the SUV on a deer!).

Sounds like you think you know more about country folks than you really
do. I've heard of, but never met, people like you describe.

BTW - you
handle criticism well and keep civil in your posts.

You're new here, aren't you

Characteristics of
a good person. Sorry for offending thee.

No harm, no foul.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Dave Hinz wrote in article

wrote:
On 25 May 2006 19:20:20 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Not everyone has the option of carpooling. I live in a rather rural
area and work far from any mass transit stops. It's not an option for
me.

Car pooling?
Its not possible for folks like me.

Oh, c'mon Gunner, I'm sure _someone_ could be found who would tolerate
your smell.

Gunner wasn't kidding when he said it wasn't possible for him to carpool.

In order to carpool, you must have a reliable car...

When Gunner mentions "....folks like me....", he means Jaguar car owners.

Gunner's "daily driver" is a '94 Jaguar Vanden Plas....a 12-year-old
Jaguar.

He sold the "ol reliable" Toyota. (go to alt.autos.jaguar for the lurid
details)

What he might save carpooling, he would more than spend in regularly
telephoning his carpool mates telling them that the Jag would not
start......again!

Gunner is right.......For Jaguar owners, car pooling is NOT possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

Dave Hinz wrote in article

wrote:
[...]

Seems like we have caught the "eye, dee, ten, tee virus"; PLONK
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Default Getting a Jaguar started....

* wrote in article
01c6817a$86eb5240$a491c3d8@race...

wrote:
[...]

From the alt.autos.jaguar newsgroup

Gunner wrote in article
My 94 VDP is very hard to start at times. Usually after it's been sitting

for several hours. I have cleaned the fuel system from the tank to the
injectors. It has a new fuel and air filter. I recently changed the
distributor cap, rotor button and plugs. The plug wires checked good on

the
ohmmeter. I cleaned the intake tubes and throttle body with throttle body

cleaner (I did not remove the throttle body). Once the car starts, I get

puff of smoke from the exhaust, but it smells more like a lean burn than
like burning oil, and it stumbles a bit, but it runs great and gets good
mileage. At normal temp, it fires right up, no smoke or stumbling.
Everything I have tested seems to be working right. What should I try
next????
Thanks,
Gunner

Jaguar snobs pronounce it "JAG-you-er". It rhymes with "sewer".