Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default electric motor - "type P"?

I picked up a used 1.5 hp 3 phase motor today, because it was local, cheap, and
appears clean with no detectable bearing crunch. It is a slightly unusual motor,
doesn't appear to be TEFC, ODP, or even sealed. The name plate calls out "Type
P" which may be unique to Reliance motors. Anyone know what "Type P" means?

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

I take it back. It may be a completely sealed motor, I see no vents anywhere.
Wish this were a 66 frame, I'd pop it onto my 9" South Bend in a heartbeat. I
could bore the pulley from 3/4" to 7/8" and stroke a new keyway, might wind up
doing that anyway. This motor runs real nice and quiet. I might also use it to
make a super-quiet little phase converter just to run my 1 hp and below 3 phase
machines.

GWE

Grant Erwin wrote:

I picked up a used 1.5 hp 3 phase motor today, because it was local,
cheap, and appears clean with no detectable bearing crunch. It is a
slightly unusual motor, doesn't appear to be TEFC, ODP, or even sealed.
The name plate calls out "Type P" which may be unique to Reliance
motors. Anyone know what "Type P" means?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

NEMA classifications according to a motor's electrical characteristics are
listed Class A through Class F. "P" must be a manuf. designation as you
say.

Bob Swinney

Grant Erwin wrote:

I picked up a used 1.5 hp 3 phase motor today, because it was local,
cheap, and appears clean with no detectable bearing crunch. It is a
slightly unusual motor, doesn't appear to be TEFC, ODP, or even sealed.
The name plate calls out "Type P" which may be unique to Reliance motors.
Anyone know what "Type P" means?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Loren Amelang

Grant Erwin wrote:

I picked up a used 1.5 hp 3 phase motor today, because it was local,
cheap, and appears clean with no detectable bearing crunch. It is a
slightly unusual motor, doesn't appear to be TEFC, ODP, or even sealed.
The name plate calls out "Type P" which may be unique to Reliance motors.
Anyone know what "Type P" means?

Look at http://www.gillettegenerators.com/sizing/sizing03.html

NEMA codes go all the way to 'V'. The later letters just aren't seen
very often in consumer use, because they hit the line too hard when
they start. In practise it seems much worse than the numbers would
indicate. My 5KW Onan generator has no problem with a 1 Hp 'K' motor,
but switching on a 1 Hp 'M' motor will kill it to a dead stop
instantly.

Loren