Johnsorj

Default Machinery museum recommendations ??

Hi All

My Dad and I are planning a " Museum Tour " of the eastern US
and are looking for recommendations for good Metalworking
and Machinery museums--We plan to make a giant loop
starting in Minneapolis then on to Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati
and DC-- We are looking for more cities for our list--

Our list consists of:

Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
Ford ( Greenfield) Museum in Dearborn
USAF museum in Dayton, Oh
Machinery museum in Cincinnati ( ?? )
Smithsonian in DC ( Of course ! !)

Does anyone have any other recommendations?? We consider
anything in the Minnesota-Maine-Florida triangle as fair game--

All recommendations are greatly appreciated--You can send
suggestions to my " spam-collector" email address listed
below if you prefer not to post in the group--I will post our
final list as a service to others that might be interested in a
trip like this-----

Many thanks to all responders---

Ray Johnson

Ed Huntress

"Johnsorj" wrote in message

[...]

For metalworking machine tools, see the American Precision Museum in
Windsor, Vermont:

http://www.americanprecision.org/

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Jeff Wisnia

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Johnsorj" wrote in message

[...]

Here, close to Boston, are a couple of good ones:

Charles River Museum of Industry, in Waltham, MA

http://www.crmi.org/index.html

They've got big stuff as well as some stuff from the watchmaking industry.

The New England Model Engineering Society meets in the museum the first
Thursday evening of each month.

http://plsntcov.8m.com/nemes.htm

Also worth a visit if you are in in Waltham is:

The Tool Shed, 471 Main Street, Waltham, MA 02452 (781) 647-7970 Hours:
1 PM to 5 PM, Wednesday thru Saturday.

This place is a real wallet evacuator. Owner "Al" regularly has
carpenter's and mechanic's tools. Lots of boxes full of all sizes of
drills, end mills and taps too. As (mostly) everything there is used,
and stuff moves quickly, you NEVER know what you'll find that day.
Prices are commonly 50% of new, or less. Stuff that sits gets discounted
until it sells. The biggest attraction are "THE TABLES". Anything on
"THE TABLES" starts at $6, then next week $5, then $4, and so on until
the stuff piled on "THE TABLES" is two for 25 cents (yup, 2 for $0.25!)

If you're into early stuff, the Saugus Ironworks Historical site is
about a half hour outside of Boston.

http://www.ohwy.com/ma/s/sauginhs.htm

And, as SWMBO will tell you, there's always my garage! G

Have a great trip!

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Errol Groff

http://www.wva.army.mil/MUSEUM.HTM Watervilet Arsenal Museum. I
haven't visited there myself but have been told that it is very
interesting. Located near Albany NY

http://www.nps.gov/spar/ Springfield Armory Museum Springfield MA
Very interesting.

http://www.linkny.com/~curtiss/ Glenn Curtis Museum, Hammondsport NY.
Terrific small aviation museum

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/
Rhinebeck, New York Near the Hudson River north of NYC
One of the niftiest air museums in the world.

http://www.ohtm.org/ Owls Head Transportation Museum Owls Head
Maine.

Highly recommend the American Precision Museum in Windsor VT. While
in Windsor also visit Simon Pierce Glass Works north of town. They
have a balcony arrangement that allows visitors to watch the activity
on the glass blowing floor. Very interesting.
http://www.simonpearce.com/about_us/...ops.asp?bhcp=1

If you are passing through northeastern CT during the week fell free
to stop in a visit us at school! Most of our lathes belong in
museums!

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On 06 Apr 2004 14:52:30 GMT, (Johnsorj) wrote:

[...]

Vince Iorio

The Baltimore Museum of Industry has a small machine shop set up. It is
driven by a overhead line shaft that is connected to a gas, steam and
electric motor. Though I have only seen them use the electric motor.
They turn it on during the tours and demo some of the machines. If I
remember correctly, they have a planer, mill, 2 lathes, and a drill.
(they might have more, but not much more)

http://www.thebmi.org/

Vince

Johnsorj wrote:

[...]

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

Hi All

My Dad and I are planning a " Museum Tour " of the eastern US
and are looking for recommendations for good Metalworking
and Machinery museums--We plan to make a giant loop
starting in Minneapolis then on to Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati
and DC-- We are looking for more cities for our list--

Taking a wide view of machinery, more or less south to
north up the NE coast...

Boston Museum of Science
Operating steam engine. Don't miss the cutaway (36
cylinder P&W?) aircraft engine.

Saugus Ironworks - Saugus MA

American Textile History Museum - Lowell MA
http://www.athm.org/tools_machinery.htm

U.S.S. Albacore Museum - Portsmouth NH
Just the sub, but only 5 minutes from Rt 95 and very cool.
http://www.portsmouthnh.com/harbourtrail/albacore.html

Owls Head Transportation Museum - Owls Head ME
Volunteer restoration shop.
http://www.ohtm.org/

Maine State Musuem - Augusta ME
Lombard log hauler; many reconstructions of old workshops;
textile and lumber mill exhibits.

(Don't miss the Liberty Tool Co. between Augusta and
Belfast. Good tools cheep.)

Seal Cove Auto Museum -
Amazing private collection of a very rich, very
eccentric character.
http://www.sealcoveautomuseum.org/directions.html

Ned Simmons

Errol Groff

Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron Ohio.
Very interesting. Depending on how old your Dad is and how able to
get around it is set up so that you use an elevator to get to the top
floor and then ramp down to the first level looking at the exhibits
along the way.

Kennedy Toolbox factory in Van Zant (I think) Ohio. You might have to
beg to get a tour but it would be worth it.

The new Air and Space museum near Dulles Airport outside Washington
DC.

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsoc...ary_2004/2.htm

The New England Model Engineering Society pages about my visit to the
museum.

Fort Sumpter (gorgeous cannons, metalworking content)
Charleston S.C

Gettysburg, PA Many metal cannons. Visit Little Round Top where
Colonel Chamberlain and the 20th Maine held off the Rebels on
2 July.1863

Harley Davidson asembly plant, York PA Super interesting

More to come as they pop into my feeble brain.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On 06 Apr 2004 14:52:30 GMT, (Johnsorj) wrote:

Hi All

My Dad and I are planning a " Museum Tour " of the eastern US
and are looking for recommendations for good Metalworking
and Machinery museums--We plan to make a giant loop
starting in Minneapolis then on to Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati
and DC-- We are looking for more cities for our list--

Errol Groff

U.S.S. Yorktown http://www.state.sc.us/patpt/
Mount Pleasant SC

John W. Brown Liberty Ship http://www.liberty-ship.com/
Baltimore MD

Airstream Trailer Factory Tour http://www.airstream.com/index.html
Jackson Center OH

I strongly suggest when you assemble your list and start planning your
intinery that you contact the various venues to be sure they are open
and active and don't have odd hours. You wouldn't want to get
somewhere on Tuesday and discover that tours are only on Monday!

Errol Groff

On 06 Apr 2004 14:52:30 GMT, (Johnsorj) wrote:

Hi All

My Dad and I are planning a " Museum Tour " of the eastern US
and are looking for recommendations for good Metalworking
and Machinery museums--We plan to make a giant loop
starting in Minneapolis then on to Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati
and DC-- We are looking for more cities for our list--

JMartin957

Here are a few mo

Maine Maritime Museum Bath Maine
some interesting machinery
http://www.bathmaine.com/programs.asp

Springfield (Massachusetts) Armory
firearms museum
http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

Old Schwamb Mill Arlington Massachusetts
oval picture frame turning open 2 days/week?
http://www.oldschwambmill.org/

Starrett Museum Athol Massachusetts
tools & early machinery small call first
http://www.starrett.com/

John Martin

erie

Grew up in the Springfield area, AAMOF, my aunt works at STCC (where the
armory is...) really neat place, lots of interesting displays.

erie

Springfield (Massachusetts) Armory
firearms museum
http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

steamer

--I'd love to have a copy as well. Is the Penngrove Power and
Implement Museum on your list? IIRC their open day is just around the
bend. No web presence last time I searched, but it's a right nifty place
to visit...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I'm a poet, my feet show it
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : they're long fellows...