Propane Torch problems - Bernzomatic etc

Old April 5th 04, 07:47 PM
Richard Ferguson

Default Propane Torch problems - Bernzomatic etc

I have been trying to use my Bernzomatic type propane torch for some
soldering, and it has been so frustrating that I have been grabbing my
Oxy-acetylene torch instead. The propane torch keeps going out,
especially when I invert the torch to solder something below the torch.

Is it typical to have problems if the bottle is above the torch?

Do I need a better torch? I am not sure about the brand of what I am
using, can't find a name, maybe a bad sign.

Would I be happier with a torch with a long hose connected to a large
bottle of propane? I have such a bottle in my shop, I have seen this
type of torch used by plumbers and others.

I am soldering sheet copper, around 0.020 inch to 0.040 (0.5mm to 1 mm)
thick, if that makes any difference. I do occasionally solder copper
pipes as well.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Old April 5th 04, 08:08 PM
David Courtney

I had all sorts of trouble with mine until I realized that the gas valve
wasn't opening all the way... if you just open it until you feel resistance,
it will be about 1 turn short of fully open. With it fully open, mine works
upside down, stays lit in the wind, lights right away, etc.
David

Old April 5th 04, 11:56 PM
Anthony

Richard Ferguson wrote in news:4071A9A9.B6E68595
@att.net:

[...]

When you turn it upside down, you are getting liquid propane instead of
gas.
Get an extention hose and leave the bottle on the floor or stand.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old April 6th 04, 12:01 AM
Grant Erwin

I gave up on Bernzomatic. I went to a plumbing supply house and bought a
torch made by Goss. It is a lot louder and much, much hotter.

I don't use handheld propane torches in my shop that much. I have a Magnum
rosebud that I use quite often. Those are great. They have a regulator, a
30' hose, and a trigger you pull to put the thing into hyperdrive. Really
kicks. I use it for general heating (e.g. welding preheating or heating
forged items prior to applying an oil or wax finish) and also to burn weeds.
The ability to burn weeds has removed some barriers for me. Soon we plan to
take out over 500 square feet of lawn and replace it with pavers. We hadn't
done this before because we didn't want to deal with weeds between. Now I
look forward to those little suckers coming up. Burn 'em and they don't come
back!

Grant Erwin

Old April 6th 04, 12:25 AM
wmbjk

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:47:22 GMT, Richard Ferguson
wrote:

I have been trying to use my Bernzomatic type propane torch for some
soldering, and it has been so frustrating that I have been grabbing my
Oxy-acetylene torch instead. The propane torch keeps going out,
especially when I invert the torch to solder something below the torch.

You might consider one of these
http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_2...Torch-Kit.html

Very slick, works upside down, spark and gas on the same button. I
think I paid $40 at WalMart. There's a better model with a control
valve as well if you need to be able to throttle it down. I have one
with a separate bottle also, but I never use it.

Wayne

Old April 6th 04, 01:25 AM
JMartin957

Richard Ferguson wrote:

I have been trying to use my Bernzomatic type propane torch for some
soldering, and it has been so frustrating that I have been grabbing my
Oxy-acetylene torch instead. The propane torch keeps going out,
especially when I invert the torch to solder something below the torch.

Is it typical to have problems if the bottle is above the torch?

Once the torch head has heated up, I don't have any problems using it
inverted.

John Martin
Old April 6th 04, 05:10 AM
Statics

[...]

I have a good Bernzomatic I bought in Canada. I had the same experience
with an all brass Bernz. This one is a swirl flame, loud, and very hot.
The nozzle is stainless and gets orange/red hot with extended use (probably
why I have not seen it in the local hardware stores). Electronic starting
with the nozzle 90degrees from the axis of the cylinder, called a "trigger
start 5000". It's pretty slick, the trigger turns the gas on and ignites it
with no adjustment necessary (flow knob on top can be adjusted to match the
job), just screw it on a cylinder and go. Sweating pipes takes a lot less
time with a swirl flame. Works with the cylinder upside down from a cold
start. I guess it's obvious I like mine. =)

No idea why they don't sell stateside, other than the scalding hot tube
thing.

StaticsJason

Old April 6th 04, 04:29 PM
Dan Caster

The hand held torches have a very small orfice that can get clogged.
You might take it apart and do your best to clean the little bit with
the hole that is not visible to the naked eye. Carb cleaner or an
ultrasonic cleaner is what I would recommend.

Dan

Old April 6th 04, 04:54 PM
Stan Schaefer

[...]

This sounds like one of the first propane torch designs from the '50s
like the original Turner or Bernzomatics that had a large sleeve on
the head and multiple orfices inside. Designs have changed a lot
since then. All of the ones with disposable bottles screwed into the
heads will flare up if they're turned upside down, liquid propane gets
spewed out and has to vaporize before it burns.

For soldering sheet copper seams, nothing is as good as a large
soldering iron. I'm talking the large, several-pound, plumber's
soldering copper here. You can use a propane torch to heat it up.
Once it's cleaned, up to temp and tinned, you can do a lot of work
before it cools down. Trying to use a flame for soldering seams can
be really frustrating, you're oxidizing your joint surfaces at the
same time you're trying to join them.

There's some newer design torch heads out there that really put out
the heat, one of those is worth several of the older design. The one
I have is a Bernzomatic head with a built-in ignitor, the burner head
is integral with the bent supply tube, flame diameter is about half
the size of those old heads and it is really hot. Works very well on
plumbing joints as-is. If you have to use the head inverted, you're
going to need one of those extension tube kits, they just don't work
well upside down with the tank attached.

Stan