Lewis Hartswick

Default Vise screw threads

We were discusing Acme threads yesterday and began by looking at
several vises. Most were very straightforward, but the Kurt
model D60 has the screw inside some sort of cover. SO naturaly
I counted the turns of the handle while measuring the jaw
opening. WHA!!!! It came out something like 1 1/8 inches/10 turns
(not exactly) so I says to self, maybe it's metric. HA!!
It comes out something close to 3.6mm pitch. Thats not in
amy list of threads I can find. Up in that range all I see
is 3 3.5 4 mm . So does anyone know what gives with
the screw in that vise?
...lew...

JMartin957

We were discusing Acme threads yesterday and began by looking at
several vises. Most were very straightforward, but the Kurt
model D60 has the screw inside some sort of cover. SO naturaly
I counted the turns of the handle while measuring the jaw
opening. WHA!!!! It came out something like 1 1/8 inches/10 turns
(not exactly) so I says to self, maybe it's metric. HA!!
It comes out something close to 3.6mm pitch. Thats not in
amy list of threads I can find. Up in that range all I see
is 3 3.5 4 mm . So does anyone know what gives with
the screw in that vise?
...lew...

9 tpi is "something like 1 1/8 inches/10 turns (not exactly)". If you need to
know the pitch more accurately than that, maybe you'll have to measure it more
accurately than that.

John Martin
Nick Hull

In article k.net,
Lewis Hartswick wrote:

We were discusing Acme threads yesterday and began by looking at
several vises. Most were very straightforward, but the Kurt
model D60 has the screw inside some sort of cover. SO naturaly
I counted the turns of the handle while measuring the jaw
opening. WHA!!!! It came out something like 1 1/8 inches/10 turns
(not exactly) so I says to self, maybe it's metric. HA!!
It comes out something close to 3.6mm pitch. Thats not in
amy list of threads I can find. Up in that range all I see
is 3 3.5 4 mm . So does anyone know what gives with
the screw in that vise?
...lew...

Did you make sure to cancel backlash when you measured?

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/