Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:59:17 GMT, Laurie Forbes wrote:
"Tangent" wrote in message
oups.com...

Use coyote urine.

OK. I'll assume for the moment the above is serious

Why would you think otherwise?

BTW Hawke, thanks for restoring my faith in humanity a little - I was
beginning to think I was the only one who objected to the outrageous crap
that floated to the surface of this thread.

You've got on odd way of encouraging people to help you with your
problems. But at least Hawke has a friend now.

That makes a total of....1

Interesting how he was able to hang aan anti0Bushism in even that
thread. A bit of a reach, that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:59:17 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

"Tangent" wrote in message
roups.com...

Use coyote urine. Available at feed stores and some hunting supply
stores. Spray the area like a coyote would and mark your territory. If
wolf urine is available use that instead.

OK. I'll assume for the moment the above is serious (I expect it would work
alright but can I actually call a feed or hunting supply store and order
coyote (or wolf) urine w/o being laughed at??). One question that comes to
mind is where and how the heck do they collect it (or is it some form of
artificial product)? If such stuff is available, I will try it and, thanks
for the suggestion.

BTW Hawke, thanks for restoring my faith in humanity a little - I was
beginning to think I was the only one who objected to the outrageous crap
that floated to the surface of this thread.

Laurie Forbes

Wolf urine Id use..but coyote..no. It would tend to attract more
coyotes as they come in to see who has been hanging around the
neighborhood unannanounced. And they would **** on everything in
sight to get their scent dominant over the interlopers.

And yes.you can get urine in most well stocked hunting goods stores.
Bobcat, deer (doe in estrus) and so forth.

There are farms that raises these critters for various reasons and
they collect the urine at times. Its quite an art following a
timberwolf around with those little little urine bottles like the
doctor gives you for **** testing....

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Its quite an art following a
timberwolf around with those little little urine bottles like the
doctor gives you for **** testing....

Ever read that farley mowat book "never cry wolf?"

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

"Tangent" wrote in message
roups.com...

Use coyote urine. Available at feed stores and some hunting supply
stores. Spray the area like a coyote would and mark your territory. If
wolf urine is available use that instead.

OK. I'll assume for the moment the above is serious (I expect it would work
alright but can I actually call a feed or hunting supply store and order
coyote (or wolf) urine w/o being laughed at??). One question that comes to
mind is where and how the heck do they collect it (or is it some form of
artificial product)? If such stuff is available, I will try it and, thanks
for the suggestion.

BTW Hawke, thanks for restoring my faith in humanity a little - I was
beginning to think I was the only one who objected to the outrageous crap
that floated to the surface of this thread.

Laurie Forbes

Wheat and chaff, Laurie. You got a lot of responses, all you need is
one that works. Pick yer pony, take yer ride, nobody asked you to
grade the responses. You can choose to be outraged by some responses,
but since you asked I'd suggest that another approach would be to
ignore those responses that offend you, just select those that might
work for you in context of whatever constraints you might impose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 16 May 2006 18:46:01 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, jim rozen
quickly quoth:

In article , Gunner says...

Its quite an art following a
timberwolf around with those little little urine bottles like the
doctor gives you for **** testing....

Ever read that farley mowat book "never cry wolf?"

Ooh, the first several pages have me in stitches (Thanks, Amazon!) so
I immediately decided to rent a copy from the library this morning.
It'll have to take a back seat to Resnick's _Paradise_ and Wellings'
PHP/MySQL tome, though. Methinks it'll be a quick 1-read book, where
I'll sit/lie down and finish it in a single session.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:59:17 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Laurie, I ranch in western MT and my wife keeps a flock
of sheep and goats. Predator control is my end of the deal,
I have decades of experience.....

You can find different urine's at trapping supply companys.
I doubt it will be effective. If it were I'd be using it instead
of hunting/trapping, feeding guard animals ect.

I also live in wolf country, but I don't deal with endangered,
protected species, that's a felony..SSS

For our operation we employ a layered system, electric fencing---very
effective and equally expensive.

I also use night pens and guard animals. In combination
we have nearly zero predator losses. Montana weather
has killed more of our stock than coyotes, but bigger flocks
that utilize larger area have bigger problems and coyotes
are the #1 problem to them.

ED

"Tangent" wrote in message
roups.com...

Use coyote urine. Available at feed stores and some hunting supply
stores. Spray the area like a coyote would and mark your territory. If
wolf urine is available use that instead.

OK. I'll assume for the moment the above is serious (I expect it would work
alright but can I actually call a feed or hunting supply store and order
coyote (or wolf) urine w/o being laughed at??). One question that comes to
mind is where and how the heck do they collect it (or is it some form of
artificial product)? If such stuff is available, I will try it and, thanks
for the suggestion.

BTW Hawke, thanks for restoring my faith in humanity a little - I was
beginning to think I was the only one who objected to the outrageous crap
that floated to the surface of this thread.

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

wrote:

Laurie, I ranch in western MT and my wife keeps a flock
of sheep and goats. Predator control is my end of the deal,
I have decades of experience.....

You can find different urine's at trapping supply companys.
I doubt it will be effective. If it were I'd be using it instead
of hunting/trapping, feeding guard animals ect.

I also live in wolf country, but I don't deal with endangered,
protected species, that's a felony..SSS

For our operation we employ a layered system, electric fencing---very
effective and equally expensive.

I also use night pens and guard animals. In combination
we have nearly zero predator losses. Montana weather
has killed more of our stock than coyotes, but bigger flocks
that utilize larger area have bigger problems and coyotes
are the #1 problem to them.

ED

Thank you for the suggestions Ed. I guess I won't bother with the urine
route (I have no idea where exactly you could find it around here anyhow)
but, I have been told that male human urine can be effective (the
testosterone content apparently) so that may be worth a try (my neighbour
has two grown boys so they should have a good supply . I doubt he would
go for the electric fence around his house (he also has young kids) although
I'm sure it would otherwise be successful. Anyhow, the coyotes in question
may have moved on or suffered some other more ominous fate as we have not
heard or seen them for several days now..........

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

You got that one - dogs - my parents lived 15-20 miles south from a 'lake resort'.
You know the type - summer vacation homes - lake lots..... bring the dog, dump the dog....
Drive home fast.....

Mom was confronted with a full standard size poodle. She was (rest her sole) 5'1" on a
good day and the dog was almost that tall at the back!

Nothing like a hungry, muddy mat, "ain't afraid of a human' dog pack looking for anything
to eat.

She got back to the house and got dads bird gun out. Dad was away to town.

She called him - he came back with two 22's and holsters.
The first shots were bird shot then hot lead.

From that day on, when mowing the field or tending the garden - mom was a pistol packin' Moma!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
On 11 May 2006 11:20:35 -0700, "coondog" wrote:

clare wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:20:09 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article 2kJ8g.6230$zn1.995@clgrps13, says...

My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

Anvils and wooden crates stencilled ACME prominently displayed around
the property.

Ned Simmons

12 guage shotgun and rock salt. If that doesn't work, substitute
buckshot.

http://www.teranews.com ***

If rock salt does'nt catch their attention, they can't be salvaged.
Same goes for marauding dogs (sheep, chickens, cattle etc).

Excellent ....Non-lethal but very painful. Although the ACME idea is
pretty good also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Diamond Jim

"Gunner" wrote in message
On 14 May 2006 17:52:46 -0700, wrote:

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats

etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Laurie,
You sspecifically asked for a solution that does not involve bullets,
or poison.. Here it is.

A friend of mine has a pet timberwolf. This is a big animal, and very
very friendly and playful around people. He is protective of anything
in the household. One day coyotes came around, and discovered the cats.
One cat came running acros the yard, with a coyote hot on his tail. The
cat ran straigt towards Teddy, and the coyote did not see him until too
late. One giant CHOMP! and the cat was out of danger.

The coyotes have not come back, ever. No bullets were involved, no
poisons were involved.

Granted the occasional visit in the middle of the night by a pack of
about a dozen timberwolfs, who come in to visit with Teddy. Teddy, is
very friendly, and never seems bothered by the wild wolf pack.

So one possible solution is to get a timberwolf.
HTH
Pete

My malamute Baron was very protective of the cats also. Had a pit bull
chase one up onto the porch where Baron and I were kicked back in the
shade. Baron was laying there on his belly, stretched out like a big
fur rug one moment..and the next there was a popping sound as the air
filled the vacuum with some long hairs floating in the breeze..and a
very large and noisy furball in the middle of the front yard. Baron
actually broke that pits neck right there in the front yard. He got
the tip of one ear a bit shredded, and that was about all. He walked
around that dying dog, looking about twice his normal 165 lbs..all
puffed up, turned his back on the pit..scratched the ground a couple
times, then he ****ed on that pit bull, and ambled back up on the
porch and checked out "his" cat.

Damn I miss that dog. He passed on at the age of 12 or 14, and is
buried in my side yard, near the female who was much older and passed
on a couple years before he did. He mourned for months.

He killed about 8 or 9 coyotes in much the same manner and for the
same reason. Funny as hell watching him sprawled out on the living
room floor with a litter of kittens crawling all over him. He would
mumble and grumble..but when they were out..he would lay down near em
like he would be inviting them to play. One of the momma cats would
come up to him, cry, and he would follow her back to the box kittens
were in, and he would lay down near the box so she could go off and
eat etc.

Amazing dogs..but you had to like hair..lots of hair..

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

A friend of mine that lives way back in the Carolina pines where no on else
lives, has labs and cats. They have all grown up together. I couldn't
believe it one day when I was visiting him, there was his large male Lab
laying next to where we were talking, and here comes this cat that lays down
next to the labs head. The lab starts nibbling down the cats back (like
someone eating an ear of corn). as soon as he got to the end the cat would
roll over a little so he could get the next area. The cat keep rolling until
the lab had "itched" his entire back for him.

I have also seen the cats he has clean the dogs ears and face several times.
When my dogs visit his place with me they are totally confused because the
cats won't run from them, they just sit there, and the dogs don't know what
to do so they just ignore them. But they watch them just in case.

We used to have a unrecognized breed of sled dog from western Alaska, (named
TANK) that was very protective of my daughters cat (TIGER). They normally
wouldn't have anything to do with each other, but if another dog came around
and chased TIGER he would run to the back yard jump up on the dog house
waking TANK up, and let him solve the problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking electric fence, and dispensing of male urine, may not work
well together
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Thu, 18 May 2006 01:26:58 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions Ed. I guess I won't bother with the urine
route (I have no idea where exactly you could find it around here anyhow)
but, I have been told that male human urine can be effective (the
testosterone content apparently) so that may be worth a try (my neighbour
has two grown boys so they should have a good supply .

Google trapping supplies, there are lots of mail order companys
These guys are good, heres a link for their urine :-)

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/...?cPath=207_100

I collect urine after skinning ( female in heat is tops) but I need to
attract my prey not try and repel it BG Wild coyotes
can tell the difference in urine...the diet is different not to
mention the matrix factor. But store bought works ok.

Trapping and understanding wildlife is an art. A skilled trapper can
set a trap and predict what species, the sex and what foot will be
caught to a high degree of accuracy, not 100% as there's always
a dumb something or another wandering around......

I doubt he would
go for the electric fence around his house (he also has young kids) although
I'm sure it would otherwise be successful.

Woven wire would work well also- even more expensive then electric.

Anyhow, the coyotes in question
may have moved on or suffered some other more ominous fate as we have not
heard or seen them for several days now..........

Coyotes can have a very large terrritory and sometimes only come to
certain areas when there is something there that interests them.
Right now the coyotes are focusing on the young of the year, fawns
ect.feeding their hungry pups.

They will be back...you can set your watch
on the way mt lions move around their territory for example, coyotes
on the other hand are a bit more independent.
ED
Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

I also use night pens and guard animals. In
combination
we have nearly zero predator losses. Montana
weather
has killed more of our stock than coyotes, but
bigger flocks
that utilize larger area have bigger problems
and coyotes
are the #1 problem to them.

ED

I believe that some of the small hobby farmers
here in Australia are using lamas as guardian
animals for their sheep and goat herds. Apparently
a lama will kick seven shades of crap out of a
dingo or any other dog that gets too close to the
herd.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:53:50 -0500, Rex B
wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions Ed. I guess I won't bother with the urine
route (I have no idea where exactly you could find it around here anyhow)
but, I have been told that male human urine can be effective (the
testosterone content apparently) so that may be worth a try (my neighbour
has two grown boys so they should have a good supply . I doubt he would
go for the electric fence around his house (he also has young kids) although
I'm sure it would otherwise be successful. Anyhow, the coyotes in question
may have moved on or suffered some other more ominous fate as we have not
heard or seen them for several days now..........

I'm thinking electric fence, and dispensing of male urine, may not work
well together ;

Turkey baster.....

Gunner, cringing at the memory of a late night coon hunt many many
years ago, and peeing on a fence he didnt know was a hot one.