Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Default 3-phase extension cords; 50'?

Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

You could use one of the mobile home power cords but a lighter cord should
work fine. A 10/4 or 10/3 with ground and a good jacket should enough to
run the motor with little loss. Definitely use the ground connection to
protect yourself. Verify both ends. (Actually, 12/3 w/ground is probably
enough, but I always like a little overkill).
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 8 May 2006 21:12:00 -0700, "Bernard Arnest"
wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Ive got a couple 100' 3 phase extentsion cords I use regularly, and
some 50' ones. Some are #10, most are #8.

An extension cord is no more and no less than 100 feet of conduit. You
just have to make sure you use the right size wire inside.

Gunner

Now why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What
little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with
life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors
you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Now why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What
little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with
life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors
you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell

You sure this is Orwell - the language doesnt sound like anything of
his I've ever read...been wondering for a few days now....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 9 May 2006 03:13:30 -0700, "Andrew VK3BFA"
wrote:

Now why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What
little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with
life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors
you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell

You sure this is Orwell - the language doesnt sound like anything of
his I've ever read...been wondering for a few days now....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Well..thats the nym used by the internet poster who wrote that. Its of
course not our George Orwell of 1984 fame.

He wrote a far different but equally true statement....

THAT RIFLE HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE WORKING-CLASS FLAT OR LABOURER'S
COTTAGE IS THE SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS OUR JOB TO SEE THAT IT STAYS
THERE.'

among a few other things of course G

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default OT: Philosophy and Politics (was: 3-phase extension cords; 50'?)

On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:35:53 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

wrote:

Now why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What
little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with
life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors
you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell

You sure this is Orwell - the language doesnt sound like anything of
his I've ever read...been wondering for a few days now....

Andrew VK3BFA.

(Thanks for asking that, Andrew. I had wondered about it, too.)

Well..thats the nym used by the internet poster who wrote that. Its of
course not our George Orwell of 1984 fame.

Then shouldn't be distinguished as such? Try "Usenet George Orwell" or
"Another George Orwell" to attribute his quotes.

He wrote a far different but equally true statement....

THAT RIFLE HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE WORKING-CLASS FLAT OR LABOURER'S
COTTAGE IS THE SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS OUR JOB TO SEE THAT IT STAYS
THERE.'

among a few other things of course G

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

Isn't that the Democrat (and now Republican) credo?

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

We're following right on their heels if the whine is any indication.

- Metaphors Be With You -
http://diversify.com Web Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Works fine, done all the time. Make sure that you don't skimp on the
cord (10-3 with ground SJ cord) and twist lock plugs.

Bernard Arnest wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

I acquired a bunch of the refer type trailer cordsets when I was asked
to clean up a pile of scrap for a person. It had 2 like new 50 to 100
foot 4 conductor #8 stranded wire complete with weather proof plug
ends.......I routinely use one of these cords to power 3 phase items
in my foundry shed....as well as power an electric welder in remote
locations......

wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside
but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if
for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered
less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the
amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it
shouldn't work just fine?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Forget wire...broadcast power is the answer here!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

In article .com,
Bernard Arnest wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp
motor?

Easy. We power containers with longer leads than that. In fact I think
the min length is 20m.

PDW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernard Arnest

Hi,
Thanks for the help! Cool, it looks like this project may be
doable, just need to satisfy Safety with it now :-)

-Bernard