Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default machining HDPE to high finish

Anyone here have experience machining HDPE?

I need some tips on how to get a (very) nice finish. The piece is a mould
for a complex profile to be made in a sugar paste, and if the surface isn't
nearly a high polish, it sticks too badly to remove the moulded item.

Rakes? Speeds? Secondary finishing methods?

There are several different tapers on the tip, and they must be maintained
to a few thou accuracy, so heat polishing isn't an option unless it can be
done in a manner that doesn't distort the shape.

Thanks,

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Anyone here have experience machining HDPE?

I need some tips on how to get a (very) nice finish. The piece is a mould
for a complex profile to be made in a sugar paste, and if the surface isn't
nearly a high polish, it sticks too badly to remove the moulded item.

Rakes? Speeds? Secondary finishing methods?

There are several different tapers on the tip, and they must be maintained
to a few thou accuracy, so heat polishing isn't an option unless it can be
done in a manner that doesn't distort the shape.

Thanks,

LLoyd

HDPE isn't the best material for a mold for those reasons. Try Delrin.
It cuts to a fine finish and can be buffed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

"Polymer Man" wrote

HDPE isn't the best material for a mold for those reasons. Try Delrin.
It cuts to a fine finish and can be buffed.

Agreed. Acetyls like Delrin are definitely the way to go. Just keep your
tools sharp and polished and the surface comes out wonderfully. Surface
energy of acetyls is only slightly higher than UHMW so almost nothing will
stick to it.
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Davenports

"Polymer Man" wrote in message
oups.com...

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Anyone here have experience machining HDPE?

I need some tips on how to get a (very) nice finish. The piece is a
mould
for a complex profile to be made in a sugar paste, and if the surface
isn't
nearly a high polish, it sticks too badly to remove the moulded item.

Rakes? Speeds? Secondary finishing methods?

There are several different tapers on the tip, and they must be
maintained
to a few thou accuracy, so heat polishing isn't an option unless it can
be
done in a manner that doesn't distort the shape.

Thanks,

LLoyd

HDPE isn't the best material for a mold for those reasons. Try Delrin.
It cuts to a fine finish and can be buffed.

Is delrin food safe? When I was doing plastics for a living 15 years ago,
we used Celcon(sp?) for food contact acetal.

Just a thought or two.

Mike

antique wood finish HELP needed Rob Woodworking 1 January 6th 05 02:25 AM
finish on kitchen cabinets leon spinks Home Repair 4 December 2nd 04 12:31 AM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 09:59 PM
Wax Finish Help? CBlood59 Woodworking 8 August 18th 04 04:12 PM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 01:04 AM