Michael Sutton

Default Drill press question

When I see a 9" or 12" or 15" drill press, what
exactly is that measurement?

is that 9" (or other) the distance from the bottom
of the table to the drill bit "chuck" or how deep
of an item you can put into the drill press before
it hits the "back/rear" post?

email reply prefered (remove the _nospam )

Thanks for your help.
Mike in Mystic

It is the size of an object that you can drill to the center. For example,
a 12" drill press allows you to drill up to 6" from the column. Basically
you take the 'size' and divide in half, and that gives you the depth from
the chuck axis to the column.

Mike

"Michael Sutton" wrote in message
m...
When I see a 9" or 12" or 15" drill press, what
exactly is that measurement?

is that 9" (or other) the distance from the bottom
of the table to the drill bit "chuck" or how deep
of an item you can put into the drill press before
it hits the "back/rear" post?

email reply prefered (remove the _nospam )

Thanks for your help.

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

or how deep
of an item you can put into the drill press before
it hits the "back/rear" post?

yes

Sorry, let me be more clear -- e.g. a 12" drill press measures 6" from the
column to the center of the chuck, 15" DP measures 7.5", and so on.

Just a word of warning based on my experience with a DP: Don't pay too
much attention to the "Capacity" rating unless you really need it. I
bought a 12" Delta DP thinking I usually am drilling near an edge
anyway. Sure enough, I pretty much never hit the column and the odd time
I did, some careful work with a hand drill did fine. But -- for me at
least -- I found two other factos much much more important:
- Minimum speed
- Stroke

After drilling 48 holes which all had to be double drilled 'cause my DP
didn't have enough stroke and after having a couple of "incidents" with
very large bits, I bought one with a lot more stroke and a lot lower
minimum speed. And more capacity does not always equal more stroke; even
the same capacity doesn't mean the same stroke. For example, Delta sells
2 different 16 1/2" presses which have a different stroke, even though
they look very similiar. And some of the "larger" ones have less stroke
the some of the smaller ones. And some real nice large ones have a
pretty high minimum speed for very large bits. My DP was one of the few
tools where I seriously regretted my balancing act between
cost/performance (and failed to research the problem thoroughly).
Especially since DP are one of the cheaper tools. I think I vastly
underestimated its usefulness was part of the problem.

BTW, if you don't need a lot of stroke, column space and a very low
minimum speed, the Delta 12" is real nice. Very smooth and slick.

Lawrence R Horgan

Michael,
I grew up with the younger brother of a Mike Sutton in El Paso, Texas....
that wouldn;t be you would it?

I agree with Paul. More important for me are number of speeds, stroke
length, and whether or not the drill press has a quill lock. The quill lock
is hard to come by any more, but it can;t be beat for setup operations.

Larry

--
Americans

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

[...]

Michael Sutton

Michael,
I grew up with the younger brother of a Mike Sutton in El Paso, Texas....
that wouldn;t be you would it?

Nope.... never been to El Paso.
I agree with Paul. More important for me are number of speeds, stroke
length, and whether or not the drill press has a quill lock. The quill lock
is hard to come by any more, but it can;t be beat for setup operations.

I didn't think much about stroke...... I'll have to keep that in
mind...

I looked at a "Golden Hawk" (cal hawk) the other day, but I'm
leary of "china-man" drill press. I found several negative
reviews of them in inetrnet newsgroups. I think I'm going to spend
the extra money and buy a better brand name such as Delta, etc.
I'd like to find one of the "old" Craftsman ones at a garage
sale. Their new ones don't seem to be as well made.

Any advange of getting a "benchtop" or a "floor" model?
I see the benchtop might take up some bench space, but
what other advantages are for the "floor" model?
Wayne

I have an old delta with the over head bearing, one hell of a machine. Any
of the new delta machines I have seen are china made, I looked at one of
those $300.00 Ridgit machines in Home Depot, I would rather have my 40 year
old delta.

Unisaw A100

Gary Coffman wrote:
Delta is made in China these days.

Actually "most" are not made in the USA. In particular the
20" & 17" Production Drill Presses are still USA made.
You'll have to go through the full line catalog to determine
exactly which models are or aren't.

UA100

Len

I have an old delta with the over head bearing, one hell of a machine. Any
of the new delta machines I have seen are china made, I looked at one of
those $300.00 Ridgit machines in Home Depot, I would rather have my 40 year
old delta.

I would rather have your old Delta too, but for those of us still out
a DP the Rigid at Home Depot was given a second best in some
woodworking book I read awhile back. And about a hundred bucks less.

Lennie the Lurker

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..
Gary Coffman wrote:
Delta is made in China these days.

Actually "most" are not made in the USA. In particular the
20" & 17" Production Drill Presses are still USA made.
You'll have to go through the full line catalog to determine
exactly which models are or aren't.

Until you get into the so called production drill presses, there are
none made in the US today. Spindle locks are a thing of the past,
found mostly on older US made units, seems to be ignored on imports.
Standard stroke for a floor model used to be 5", now it's 3". Sorry
part is that what is now called "production" used to be about middle
of the line workshop stuff. (Which makes me like my Crapsman
[King-Seely] all the more. You won't find that quality at Wally's
little chinese and slave markets.)