Jeff Wisnia

Default Freon bottle air tank?

I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.

I've had a near empty R22 can sitting around from back when I added AC
to our last home's hot air heating system. That was when you could
legally DIY that kind of stuff, and could even buy precharged equipment
and tubing to let you get a system up and running without a vacuum pump.
The original heating installers had left us a plenum where I could stick
an "A coil", so the whole job was a snap.

I looked up the pressure temperature curve for R22 and it gets up to
around 150 psi at 80F, so I figure the tank ought to be safe for holding
125 psi air for occasional tire filling and blowout jobs I don't want to
drag my little home compressor over to.

Anything I'm missing here or should worry about?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ted Edwards

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.

I use a quick change connector on an outdated 20# propane tank. They're
readilly available free around here and they're rated for more pressure
so give a bigger safety margin.

Ted

Roy

I just have a queasy feeling on using freon tanks as portable air
storage containers. They are pretty thin to begin with, and after some
use will get moisture inside. Not usually a problem with the original
contents Freon, but its going to start to rust, and god only knows
when its going to let go. At one time you used to see those kits for
sale just about every where, now you don't. I wonder if there is some
kind of paranoia concerning these kits and liability with the
manufacturer........I really have never checked out how thick a
regular portable air tank is, but now you have myucuriosity sparked.

I know when I worked we used to be always making portable air tanks
for folks there, then after one or two had problems with tanks
splitting etc they just sort of stopped asking to get one made. We
never saw the tanks the manifold gauge and fill adapter etc was
installed on, so there was no real way toknow what someone else deemed
as being good.

Just my 2 cents worth.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:13:53 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

===I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
===intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
===air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
===pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
===feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.
===
[...]

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
John213a

I use a quick change connector on an outdated 20# propane tank. They're
readilly available free around here and they're rated for more pressure
so give a bigger safety margin. BRBR

Ted, did you remove the orriginal propane valve and then install the quick
change connector, or did you find some way to connect to the left hand thread
of the tank? or use an old camp stove hose and put the quick connect to that?
I have a couple of the old cans around that I would like to convert too
Jack Cammell

Hi Guys,
Here in New Zealand we have a domestic "Soda" maker. It has small CO2 bottles
about10inches X 2inches enough gas to fill your tire and very only takes uo a
small space. I would refill the tire with Air when convenient.
Jack

wrote:

[...]

jim rozen

In article , John213a says...

Ted, did you remove the orriginal propane valve and then install the quick
change connector, or did you find some way to connect to the left hand thread
of the tank?

ONe way to do this is to simply purchase the correct CGA fitting
for the tank from Western Enterprises. I think it is CGA350.

Jim

please reply to:

Richard J Kinch

Jeff Wisnia writes:

I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.

Refrigerant tanks only "exhale", they have a mechanism inside (check
valve?) to prevent exactly this sort of unsafe adaptation. Just how does
the kit defeat that?

There are refrigerant recovery tanks meant to both inhale and exhale. They
are considerably heavier construction than the disposable supply tanks.
Jeff Wisnia

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Jeff Wisnia writes:

I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.

Refrigerant tanks only "exhale", they have a mechanism inside (check
valve?) to prevent exactly this sort of unsafe adaptation. Just how does
the kit defeat that?

There are refrigerant recovery tanks meant to both inhale and exhale. They
are considerably heavier construction than the disposable supply tanks.

I presume if there was such a valve was part of the original tank valve
I removed when I put the "conversion kit" on, as the tank sure fills up
fine.

But, after reading Roy's comments and understanding well where he's
coming from re the energy stored in compressed gasses, I think I'll
pitch the idea and buy myself a "real" portable air tank, they're cheap
enough.

The Freon bottle feels pretty light for its size and I noticed that one
of the "outie dimples" it stands on is already crushed in a bit, meaning
it isn't all that thick, plus it falls over too easily, and it has to be
at least 20 years old already.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Roy

I have cut many a freon tank apart and all only had a typical valve
for open and close. No checks or any thing else that would prevent one
way passage of contents.When they serviced my old AC unit they used a
partially filled freon container they had to put the old freon in, as
they had to repair a slight leak. A used propane tanak IMHO would be
a safer container to utilize for a portable air storage tank. They
even have a standoff ring on the base to keep it from getting dinged
and scuffed etc, and not those pressed out dimples. A propane tank is
meant for reuse, where a freon container for the most part is made to
last only so long as its disposable. Should easily be able to get an
old style propane cylinder, and the valves are not all that hard to
get out.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:06:53 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

===Jeff Wisnia writes:
===
=== I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
=== intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
=== air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
=== pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
=== feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.
===
===Refrigerant tanks only "exhale", they have a mechanism inside (check
===valve?) to prevent exactly this sort of unsafe adaptation. Just how does
===the kit defeat that?
===
===There are refrigerant recovery tanks meant to both inhale and exhale. They
===are considerably heavier construction than the disposable supply tanks.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Rex B

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:13:53 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

|I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
|intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
|air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
|pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
|feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.
|
|I've had a near empty R22 can sitting around from back when I added AC
|to our last home's hot air heating system. That was when you could
|legally DIY that kind of stuff, and could even buy precharged equipment
|and tubing to let you get a system up and running without a vacuum pump.
|The original heating installers had left us a plenum where I could stick
|an "A coil", so the whole job was a snap.
|
|I looked up the pressure temperature curve for R22 and it gets up to
|around 150 psi at 80F, so I figure the tank ought to be safe for holding
|125 psi air for occasional tire filling and blowout jobs I don't want to
|drag my little home compressor over to.
|
|Anything I'm missing here or should worry about?

Jeff
Guys have been doing that as long as I can recall. I think the pressure
rating of those tanks is an undisclosed number around 400#.
125 - 150 PSI should be no problem.

Oh, and if it is, your heirs can sue whoever made the tank
Rex in Fort Worth

Richard J Kinch

Roy writes:

When they serviced my old AC unit they used a
partially filled freon container they had to put the old freon in, as
they had to repair a slight leak.

That should have been a recovery tank, not a disposable. E.g.,

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611629984

Very bad practice if they used a disposable to recover used refrigerant
from your unit.
Bob Engelhardt

John213a wrote:
... some way to connect to the left hand thread
of the tank? ...

I use a 10 gal propane tank as a portable. I used the original tank
valve and the connector from an old gas grill. The connector has 1/4"
NPT on the output. There are several old gas grills at our dump every
week. YDMV (Your Dump May Vary).

Bob
Leo Lichtman

Jeff Wisnia wrote: (clip)The gadget's got a(clip) a dial pressure
gage(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your reasoning seems sound to me. What is the range of the pressure gauge?
That should also give you a clue.

Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote: (clip)The gadget's got a(clip) a dial pressure
gage(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your reasoning seems sound to me. What is the range of the pressure gauge?
That should also give you a clue.

Zero to 150 psi.

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Roy

That was many many years ago, long befroe Freon 12 etxc was banned
from sales to the general public and epa regs and enforcement was in
place or in practice. I think it was rather good of them even back
then to take precautions. FWIU it was pretty much standard practice
with lots of service techs so oil etc was not sprayed around on folks
grass and shrubbery. I would not consider them doing that to be unsafe
or shoddy. Don;t know if they really reused it or not.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:23:15 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

===Roy writes:
===
=== When they serviced my old AC unit they used a
=== partially filled freon container they had to put the old freon in, as
=== they had to repair a slight leak.
===
===That should have been a recovery tank, not a disposable. E.g.,
===
===http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611629984
===
===Very bad practice if they used a disposable to recover used refrigerant
===from your unit.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Lewis Hartswick

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

I've been using an R 12 tank in that mode for about 15 yrs. Built the
"christmas tree" from parts rather than a "kit". I only use about 90
lb.
but it runs an air brad nailer for a lot of shots and pumps up a tire if
almost flat, etc.
...lew...
Andy Asberry

wrote:

[...]

In 1986, in Arlington, Texas, a customer brought a converted freon
tank into a Goodyear store to have it filled. The store owner, J. W.
Whatley was killed when that tank exploded. DON'T DO IT!
jim rozen

In article , Andy Asberry says...

In 1986, in Arlington, Texas, a customer brought a converted freon
tank into a Goodyear store to have it filled. The store owner, J. W.
Whatley was killed when that tank exploded. DON'T DO IT!

Not to mention what happens when one picks up fire
extinguishers by the side of the road. *That* story
cured me for life!

Jim

please reply to:

Roy

Default Freon bottle air tank? (fire extinguisher accident images)

If your interested in what one can do I have two composite images on
my website. No links to them off a page but you can view them with
these to links. The image of the wife was taken about 2 weeks
afterwards, but it still shows the injuries involved.

www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg

On 10 Mar 2004 05:20:08 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

===In article , Andy Asberry says...
===
===In 1986, in Arlington, Texas, a customer brought a converted freon
===tank into a Goodyear store to have it filled. The store owner, J. W.
===Whatley was killed when that tank exploded. DON'T DO IT!
===
===Not to mention what happens when one picks up fire
===extinguishers by the side of the road. *That* story
===cured me for life!
===
===Jim
===
=============================================== ======
=== please reply to:
===JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com
=============================================== ======

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Roy

Default Freon bottle air tank? (fire extinguisher accident images) (correction on link)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:13:44 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

===If your interested in what one can do I have two composite images on
===my website. No links to them off a page but you can view them with
===these to links. The image of the wife was taken about 2 weeks
===afterwards, but it still shows the injuries involved.
===
===
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
===www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg
===

Sorry about the misspelled link, its frugalmachinist.com
not frugal"A"machinist

www.frugalmachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalmachinist.com/fea2.jpg
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Mustmaker

I converted a disposable Freon tank, don't remember if it was 12 or 22, and
after 10 years of use as a tire filler and whatever tank, I cut it open to
examine the inside. Found a dusting of surface rust only and no pitting.
However I now use a propane tank as my portable air tank, heavier and safer.
Risk management.

JohnH.
Abrasha

Roy wrote:

If your interested in what one can do I have two composite images on
my website. No links to them off a page but you can view them with
these to links. The image of the wife was taken about 2 weeks
afterwards, but it still shows the injuries involved.

Holy ****! What had happened?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Ted Edwards

John213a wrote:

Ted, did you remove the orriginal propane valve and then install the quick
change connector, or did you find some way to connect to the left hand thread
of the tank?

I picked up an adapter from the standard fitting to 1/4" pipe at an RV
place and went from there.

Ted

Ted Edwards

Roy wrote:

I just have a queasy feeling on using freon tanks as portable air
storage containers. They are pretty thin to begin with, and after some
use will get moisture inside.

I, too, prefer propane tanks rather than freon but any tank will
accumulate water over many refillings unless you use pretty dry air.
Comming of my compressor tank, I have two conventional moisture traps to
the general shop lines. From there I go through a coalescing filter for
air to my plasma cutter. It is this I use for refilling my air pig.

Ted

Stan Schaefer

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message ...
[...]

I've been using one as a portable tire inflator for a number of years,
it works. I'm currently living in a low humidity environment so I've
got few worries about rust. When I dump the compressor tank, there's
only a few drops of moisture at most. I usually run my tank up to
about 90 PSI, that's enough to get a flat tire filled. They are thin,
though, and are meant to be disposable. Those freon tank conversion
kits are still on the shelves, I've seen a few. They usually charge
about $5 less than what you can get a complete portable tank at a
chain parts store for, though. For a buck, though, it might be worth
messing with. It's hard to get a decent tire chuck for that.

Stan
Daniel A. Mitchell

They're usually very thin, have no anti corrosion protection, and rust
through wonderfully fast.

Dan Mitchell
==========

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Lennie the Lurker

(Roy) wrote in message ...

www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg

404 error on both.
Windell

Lennie the Lurker wrote:
(Roy) wrote in message ...

www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg

404 error on both.

http://www.frugalmachinist.com/fea2.jpg

Abrasha

Lennie the Lurker wrote:

(Roy) wrote in message ...

www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg

404 error on both.

I had no problem seeing the images of his wife and the inside of the car. All
you had to do, was remove the second "a" from the URL.

I meant to say. What happened in the accident? Should I not have a fire
extinguisher in my car? It seems, that the woman was lucky that she was not
killed.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Don Bruder

In article ,
Abrasha wrote:

Lennie the Lurker wrote:

(Roy) wrote in message

www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg

404 error on both.

I had no problem seeing the images of his wife and the inside of the car.
All
you had to do, was remove the second "a" from the URL.

I meant to say. What happened in the accident? Should I not have a fire
extinguisher in my car? It seems, that the woman was lucky that she was not
killed.

From what I recall (if my memory is wrong, sorry...) being posted here
not too long ago, the fellow involved spotted a fire extinguisher on the
side of the road. Being the cheapskate metalworker - Err... Sorry, that
was a typo for Frugal Machinist (note 1) - he was, he stopped and
snarfed it up, thinking there might be a project in there somewhere.
Something I doubt many of us here would have considered to be even a
little bit like a bad idea.

Details are hazy as to the exact course of events from that point, but
shortly afterwards, apparently without warning or visible provocation,
the thing exploded/blew its valve/something in the cab of the
pick-em-up, injuring both him and his wife, and dousing the interior of
the truck with dry-chem powder.

Note 1, for the humor-impaired:
That was intended as a bit of levity in an all-too-serious post, not an
insult. Take it for its intended value.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
Lane

I meant to say. What happened in the accident? Should I not have a
fire
extinguisher in my car? It seems, that the woman was lucky that she was

not
killed.

Here is the original story:
================================
Just a few of the main points, but, wife and I made a trip to town
Sunday afternoon to
do some shopping, on return from town, we spotted a fire extinguisher
5# dry chemical type along the roadside, stopped and I went back to
retreive it. It looked in
good condition, so I carried it back to the truck. I got in the
truck, set the extinguisher on my lap to have a better look at it,
and just like that the thing came all apart. I came out on the better
end of the deal with a few teeth knocked out, a hairline fracture of
the upper jaw bone and nose, and cheek, and all my teeth on the upper
left left dangling in the sockets, once I regained my composure I
started to call for the wife, as I could not see as my eyes were
loaded with the dry chemical, and breathing was extremely difficult,
I finally managed to see somewhat, and my wife had a large gaping
hole in the left side of her head, and was bleeding very profusly.
Tried to flag down another vehicle for help, but no one would stop.
I eventually got her situated in the cab of the truck and drove wide
assed open with the throttle limiter constantly kicking on and off
(its factory set at 100mph top), barely able to see out the side
window with my head out, as the entire inside of the truck was still
a white out and covered completely in the dry chemical. I made it to
the hospital where she was examined and then imediately transferred
to another hospital and underwent close to 3 hours of surgery to
remove broken skull fragments that penetrated the lining of the brain
and some parts of the brain. She never did loose consicouness, but
had problems moving her arm and fingers and certain other reflexes
were not working. Things were very gloomy Sunday night, and not
looking
none to good. Surgery went well, and on Monday they had her
setting up and eating, and no signs of any paralysyis or damages
seem to be of any permanent degree, as her functions are returning
pretty darn quick. She has spend a couple of days in ICU, and now is
in a private room, and the surgeon thinks she may be able to come home
by the weekend.
The Surgeon said a brain if not damaged bad or
depending on the area is a very quick organ to rebound. It has no
nerves in it, and as long as they can keep infection away and any
hemorageing or pressures buildup away she should recopver just fine.
There will be a gap in her skull from pieces of bone that was too
badly damaged to be replaced, so she is going to have to wait until
this is all healed, and no signs of infection, before they would go
back in and install a plate over the hole that is left. The remaining
hole is about
20mm x 34mm in size accoprding to the Surgeon, but if the wife feels
ok
its not absolutely necessary to have it covered over. He said lots of
folks have opening as such, and its a common practice and procedure.
Else it will have to be watched for how fast it grows, and a plate
will be installed later down the road. So as of today, things are just
fine, she has sight and balance problems, but they should go away,
once the swelling goes down.

The fire extinguisher has been checked over and they have come up with
a theory anyhow as to what happened. Just be leary if you find a
fire extiinguuisher or any prressure vessel whose history you do not
know anything about. It may be best to let it be and call the
authorities. This extinguisher appeared to be in perfect condition
except for some scratches, the gage was not even broken, but the
impact when it fell from whatever vehicle probably broke loose the
valve to cylinder connection, and it worked its way loose. My handling
all aided it in finally allowing ther valve to blow out. All I did was
pick it up and carry iot back to the pickup, and lay it in my lap and
looked at it, and attempted to roll it over to see the label on it,
when it let loose. All appeared just fine with the extinguisher when I
first picked it up.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Chris Johnson

Windell wrote:
Lennie the Lurker wrote:

(Roy) wrote in message

www.frugalamachinist.com/fea1.jpg
www.frugalamachinist.com/fea2.jpg

404 error on both.

http://www.frugalmachinist.com/fea2.jpg

Remove the extra A. It's frugalmachinist, not frugalAmachinist.

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 08:28 PM
Noisy pipes when filling CW tank steve UK diy 3 January 20th 04 02:46 PM
Air tank safety: Discharge rate and outlet size adam smith Metalworking 11 January 2nd 04 12:01 AM
Rotary tank - how to build? BR Metalworking 15 September 29th 03 07:09 AM