Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Jones

Default Road Trip: 1820s style (with Metal Content, too!)

I'm transcribing a hand-written travel journal detailing a road trip
from London to Scotland in 1820.

There are a few paragraphs about a visit to the Carron Iron works - the
bottom of http://home.twcny.rr.com/dcjones/Sco...ly-31-1820.htm
and the top of the next entry talk about the visit. Sadly, there are
no illustrations of the Iron works.

I'm trying to add an entry every day or so, if you're interested.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan Jones wrote:
I'm transcribing a hand-written travel journal detailing a road trip
from London to Scotland in 1820.

There are a few paragraphs about a visit to the Carron Iron works - the
bottom of http://home.twcny.rr.com/dcjones/Sco...ly-31-1820.htm
and the top of the next entry talk about the visit. Sadly, there are
no illustrations of the Iron works.

I'm trying to add an entry every day or so, if you're interested.

Dan

Hi Dan.I found this quite interesting as I live in the area mentioned.I
am currently working two miles from Niddrie castle and lived near
Galashiels and at Dalhousie while growing up.
regards Mark.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Dan Jones wrote:
I'm transcribing a hand-written travel journal detailing a road trip
from London to Scotland in 1820.

There are a few paragraphs about a visit to the Carron Iron works - the
bottom of http://home.twcny.rr.com/dcjones/Sco...ly-31-1820.htm
and the top of the next entry talk about the visit. Sadly, there are
no illustrations of the Iron works.

I'm trying to add an entry every day or so, if you're interested.

Dan

That's cool. I mean way cool -- I sent a link to my wife and son so he
can read it for history.

A suggestion, though: Put a link to the first page on _every_
subsequent page. Better yet, have an active table of contents that
links to each day's entry. For an example of how I did it with a
scanned-in book, go to
http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/MSK/mskTop.html.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Jones

Hi, Tim. Thanks for the suggestion - when I've got the transcription
finished, I'll place an active TOC and additional links to make
navigation easier.

Great suggestions!

Thanks...
Dan

Tim Wescott wrote:
That's cool. I mean way cool -- I sent a link to my wife and son so he
can read it for history.

A suggestion, though: Put a link to the first page on _every_
subsequent page. Better yet, have an active table of contents that
links to each day's entry. For an example of how I did it with a
scanned-in book, go to
http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/MSK/mskTop.html.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Jones

Thanks, Mark. When it comes time to transcribe the daily ledger, can I
pester you for some help in figuring out the monetary symbols? The
writer kept a meticulous record of all expenses, down to the tolls
required to pass through gates and such. Daily travel distances, too.

Interesting currency - it sure aren't what I'm used to!

Thanks...
Dan