Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

Default Need machinist's help in DFW area

One of my hobbies is restoring old (60s-70s) garden tractors. Some
came with electric power lifts for implements. The weak link in those
is the motor gear; a 32 pitch, 16 tooth spur gear with about a 5/8"
face. Bore is 5'16".

I have a 3" piece of carbon steel gear stock I need parted and bored
or bored and parted, whichever, to get as many gears as possible.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ part# A 1C29-N32016
Low buck budget so I would like to beg, swap or trade for steak
dinner, liquid refreshment or what-are-you-looking-for.

Can you help or point me to someone who can?

AAsberryatAOL.com

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:15:56 -0500, Andy Asberry wrote:
One of my hobbies is restoring old (60s-70s) garden tractors. Some
came with electric power lifts for implements. The weak link in those
is the motor gear; a 32 pitch, 16 tooth spur gear with about a 5/8"
face. Bore is 5'16".

Before you make something, check the Boston Gear catalog. Doesn't sound
too oddball that they might not stock it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On 20 Apr 2006 17:56:20 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:15:56 -0500, Andy Asberry wrote:
One of my hobbies is restoring old (60s-70s) garden tractors. Some
came with electric power lifts for implements. The weak link in those
is the motor gear; a 32 pitch, 16 tooth spur gear with about a 5/8"
face. Bore is 5'16".

Before you make something, check the Boston Gear catalog. Doesn't sound
too oddball that they might not stock it.

Everybody's got them with a 0.187 face. I need about 0.58.

Thanks anyway.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

One of my hobbies is restoring old (60s-70s) garden tractors. Some
came with electric power lifts for implements. The weak link in those
is the motor gear; a 32 pitch, 16 tooth spur gear with about a 5/8"
face. Bore is 5'16".

I have a 3" piece of carbon steel gear stock I need parted and bored
or bored and parted, whichever, to get as many gears as possible.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ part# A 1C29-N32016
Low buck budget so I would like to beg, swap or trade for steak
dinner, liquid refreshment or what-are-you-looking-for.

Can you help or point me to someone who can?

AAsberryatAOL.com

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Is this heat-treated carbon steel? Test it with a file. If it's
heat-treated, it may need to be sliced with a saw and then faced,
trued and bored with carbide tooling.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Andy
I'm in Keller, shop is in Azle. I have the machine tools but I'm
light on expertise. I'd give it a go in exchange for getting my Loboy
154 running so I can sell it.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX
817 834 5559 x3105 days
817 431 8051 home

Andy Asberry wrote:
One of my hobbies is restoring old (60s-70s) garden tractors. Some
came with electric power lifts for implements. The weak link in those
is the motor gear; a 32 pitch, 16 tooth spur gear with about a 5/8"
face. Bore is 5'16".

I have a 3" piece of carbon steel gear stock I need parted and bored
or bored and parted, whichever, to get as many gears as possible.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ part# A 1C29-N32016
Low buck budget so I would like to beg, swap or trade for steak
dinner, liquid refreshment or what-are-you-looking-for.

Can you help or point me to someone who can?

AAsberryatAOL.com

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Andy Asberry says...

I have a 3" piece of carbon steel gear stock I need parted and bored
or bored and parted, whichever, to get as many gears as possible.

Best bet might be to saw into slugs and then face.
A saw kerf might well be thinner than a cutoff blade kerf,
even given that you might want to clean both up after the
fact.

Jim

please reply to: