What is it? CX

Old April 14th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CX

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:42:30 -0500, Barbara Bailey
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:49:26 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I think that #641 is part of the projection system for a Civil War era
giant-screen TV. I see the red and the blue and assume that the third
item is green.
Old April 14th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

636. Point aligning tool for a distributor

637. Indian war club

638. Compass/sundial

639. Scale/letter opener

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Several new photos have been posted on the incomplete answer page:

http://pzphotosan111-r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Old April 14th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

636. Point aligning tool for a distributor

637. Indian war club

638. Compass/sundial

639. Scale/letter opener

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Wild guess: the third item is a knife to sharpen the pencil and pen quill?
Old April 14th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Based on that clue, I would guess the third item is "ink"

Howard Garner
Old April 14th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

640. Hide scraper used by tanners?

. ..

Old April 14th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:49:31 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Four of the six have been fully identified so far:

636. Point aligning tool for a distributor

637. Indian war club

638. Compass/sundial

639. Scale/letter opener

640. This tool was marked as being a scraper/shaver of a particular type,
shaver is probably a better description, I should have mentioned this in my

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

Hmm. Is the third piece a sand shaker for blotting the ink?

Old April 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

641. Two pieces of this set have been guessed correctly: a pen and
pencil.
The last item is related to them, although in modern times this piece is
no
longer used for the purpose for which it was made.

I think Mark P nailed it. Penknife----originally used to sharpen pens,
no longer used for that purpose.

Bill

Old April 14th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Wild guess: the third item is a knife to sharpen the pencil and pen quill?

Knife is correct, though my guess is that it was used as an eraser to scrap
away mistakes, but I'm sure it was also used to sharpen the pencil lead.

Rob

Old April 15th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

640. Hide scraper used by tanners?

Nope, I think it was more of a shaver than a scraper, possibly used in the
home, for something fairly common.

-----

In my post concerning the pen, pencil and knife, I forgot to link back to
the answer page where I've posted a new photo of set:

Old April 15th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

Nope, I think it was more of a shaver than a scraper, possibly used in the
home, for something fairly common.

Ice?