Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default pantograph plans or hints?

I'd like to make a pantograh, so I can duplicate some flat items with
complex contours. Any hints/tips on making one, or is it as
straightforward as it looks? I only need X and Y, not Z.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

- -
Rex Burkheimer

Dave Hinz wrote:
I'd like to make a pantograh, so I can duplicate some flat items with
complex contours. Any hints/tips on making one, or is it as
straightforward as it looks? I only need X and Y, not Z.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:27:44 -0500, Rex B
wrote:

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

Hell yes. Pantographs seem to go for about .30 a lbs

Gunner

- -
Rex Burkheimer

Dave Hinz wrote:
I'd like to make a pantograh, so I can duplicate some flat items with
complex contours. Any hints/tips on making one, or is it as
straightforward as it looks? I only need X and Y, not Z.

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

Hell yes. Pantographs seem to go for about .30 a lbs

Really... Anyone got one in the Wisconsin-ish area? I suppose these
are considered somewhat obsolete since the production shops will be
using CNC for complex shapes? It'll fit right in to my basement shop,
though; nothing newer than (hmmm) 1960's technology, I think.

Dave "not complaining, mind you" Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

wrote:

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

Hell yes. Pantographs seem to go for about .30 a lbs

Really... Anyone got one in the Wisconsin-ish area? I suppose these
are considered somewhat obsolete since the production shops will be
using CNC for complex shapes? It'll fit right in to my basement shop,
though; nothing newer than (hmmm) 1960's technology, I think.

They go by on ebay River regularly, often with no bids because they
state "Local pickup only". I th0ought long and hard about one here in
Ft Worth that would have gone for $350 with all the letters. It's
probably still there.

Rex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I saw a pantograph in CNC mode - Human holding both pointer in trace and the
plasma torch out further. I think it was for the 'movie'.

The table was 8 x 20 from what it looked - nice web design and this big pantograph
that scaled up the small model into metal.

In what I have used in the past - for drawing - was two V's that had axis bolts in the vertex.
Running along each arm are equally spaced holes. Both V's have same spacing on the same V but
ours was on both V's. Then once made, pins have to be made - sliding fit for these holes.
The V's are then mated creating a dual W of sorts - a V point up an one down. The ratio between
the one pair to the other pair determines the scale.

Not bad to make - and can be custom fit to any table.

Maritn

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

wrote:

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

Hell yes. Pantographs seem to go for about .30 a lbs

Really... Anyone got one in the Wisconsin-ish area? I suppose these
are considered somewhat obsolete since the production shops will be
using CNC for complex shapes? It'll fit right in to my basement shop,
though; nothing newer than (hmmm) 1960's technology, I think.

Dave "not complaining, mind you" Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

So what you are talking about is a Label or sign maker pantograph.

I'd think the sign shops might have one in a corner - the ones that do
company name and other engraving.

Martin

wrote:

Heck, Dave, you can buy one for less than $1/lb.

Hell yes. Pantographs seem to go for about .30 a lbs

Really... Anyone got one in the Wisconsin-ish area? I suppose these
are considered somewhat obsolete since the production shops will be
using CNC for complex shapes? It'll fit right in to my basement shop,
though; nothing newer than (hmmm) 1960's technology, I think.

They go by on ebay River regularly, often with no bids because they
state "Local pickup only". I th0ought long and hard about one here in
Ft Worth that would have gone for $350 with all the letters. It's
probably still there.

Rex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:51:47 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
So what you are talking about is a Label or sign maker pantograph.

I'd think the sign shops might have one in a corner - the ones that do
company name and other engraving.

Ah...yes, that would do quite well. Funny; I've worked on one of those,
and have apparenlty mentally reinvented it without knowing why. Yes,
that's exactly what I need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On 12 Apr 2006 16:05:10 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I'd like to make a pantograh, so I can duplicate some flat items with
complex contours. Any hints/tips on making one, or is it as
straightforward as it looks? I only need X and Y, not Z.

photocopy the part.

place the photocopy face down on the material to be used.

use an iron with the steam turned off and about the cotton setting and
iron down the photocopy. this will melt and transfer some of the toner
down on to the piece of material.

done well you get a perfect image of the linework on the piece of
material.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:48:30 +0800, Stealth Pilot wrote:
On 12 Apr 2006 16:05:10 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I'd like to make a pantograh, so I can duplicate some flat items with
complex contours. Any hints/tips on making one, or is it as
straightforward as it looks? I only need X and Y, not Z.

photocopy the part.
place the photocopy face down on the material to be used.
use an iron with the steam turned off and about the cotton setting and
iron down the photocopy. this will melt and transfer some of the toner
down on to the piece of material.

I've heard that you can buy printer paper for photocopiers or laser
printers, made specifically for doing iron-on transfers, which work even
better. Haven't tried it yet.

done well you get a perfect image of the linework on the piece of
material.

That's not the problem, the "cutting all the odd angles and curves
without once screwing up or it'll ruin the piece" is the problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Most awards and trophy shops have gone to cnc and likely have one or two
just collecting dust. call around

The End of Pensions -- But Keep Voting for Republicans as You Spend Your Golden Years in a Cardboard Box on the Street Cliff Metalworking 175 November 7th 05 09:17 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 05 09:30 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 01:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 04:57 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 03:08 PM