PTO wood chipper plans

Old April 3rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PTO wood chipper plans

Has anyone here ever built a PTO powered wood chipper. I have a 60hp tractor
and a friend that can turn up to 48" diameter on a lathe. What would be a
good scrap item to keep an eye out for to make the chipper flywheel. Maybe
an old train wheel? Are there any plans that can be purchased? Thanks for
any tips or ideas.

Old April 3rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"mark" wrote:

Has anyone here ever built a PTO powered wood chipper. I have a 60hp tractor
and a friend that can turn up to 48" diameter on a lathe. What would be a
good scrap item to keep an eye out for to make the chipper flywheel. Maybe
an old train wheel? Are there any plans that can be purchased? Thanks for
any tips or ideas.

I have not built one, but I'd pay a lot of attention to how the chipping
unit is confined/guarded. You want shrapnel to stay in the machine in
the case of a failure.

While scavenging for ideas, look at the spiral "cone" units as well as
the round disc units. Depends what sort of chip you want (they make more
of a chunk), in part, but the cones also seem less likely to jam on
vines and twigs as the big discs do. Just say, unwrapping grape vines
from a 30 inch chipper disc is no fun - they went in with the treetops,
but they did not cut when they hit the chipper...

One link which shows the type I mean:

http://www.fluidynenz.250x.com/kopo.html

I think you'll want some sort of overload clutch unless that is built
into the PTO drivetrain.

Old April 4th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mark" wrote in message
Has anyone here ever built a PTO powered wood chipper. I have a 60hp

tractor
and a friend that can turn up to 48" diameter on a lathe. What would be a
good scrap item to keep an eye out for to make the chipper flywheel. Maybe
an old train wheel? Are there any plans that can be purchased? Thanks for
any tips or ideas.

Its off topic, but from the safety perspective it's related..... a
commercial chipper being used to chip branches from clearing for roadworks
in south west australia self destructed. The fly wheel (just over a metre in
diameter from memory) killed a guy in an adjacent bulldozer and then wrote
off a couple of cars on the highway several hundred metres away. Sliced open
the side of a van like a can opener.

rob