Laurie Forbes

Default OT - Diesel Fuel Filter Question

Am about to replace the fuel filter on my 02 VW Golf TDI (diesel).

Dealership wants $66Cdn but can get one at local aftermarket shop for
$18 ("NAPA" brand made by Wix). I don't want to waste money but OTOH
don't want to play Russian roulette with my fuel pump and injectors.

Which one should I buy??

TIA for any assistance...........

Laurie Forbes

Alan Raisanen

Laurie-
Just make sure you fill it up with diesel and/or Power Service additive and
check that the recirculator valve o-ring is OK, or replaced. Other TDI
drivers are using the NAPA filters with good results, although the Gold line
is recommended over the cheaper Silver line. I buy a lot of TDI parts from
Impex. They have the Bosch filters for $27.00.

If you aren't there already, look at the boards at http://www.tdiclub.com/
for all things TDI related.Here is a thread about the NAPA filters:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post673861

Al
(My 2000 Jetta TDI averages 50 mpg...in winter...at 75 mph. Lets see the
hybrids do that!)

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Am about to replace the fuel filter on my 02 VW Golf TDI (diesel).

Dealership wants $66Cdn but can get one at local aftermarket shop for
$18 ("NAPA" brand made by Wix). I don't want to waste money but OTOH
don't want to play Russian roulette with my fuel pump and injectors.

Which one should I buy??

TIA for any assistance...........

Laurie Forbes

Laurie Forbes

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 04:12:31 GMT, "Alan Raisanen"
wrote:

Laurie-
Just make sure you fill it up with diesel and/or Power Service additive and
check that the recirculator valve o-ring is OK, or replaced. Other TDI
drivers are using the NAPA filters with good results, although the Gold line
is recommended over the cheaper Silver line. I buy a lot of TDI parts from
Impex. They have the Bosch filters for $27.00.

If you aren't there already, look at the boards at http://www.tdiclub.com/
for all things TDI related.Here is a thread about the NAPA filters:

Hello Alan:

Thanks for the info - I've been on the TDI forum (NoSmoke) for quite a
while but missed the thread you give below. The NAPA (Gold) filters
sound OK from what the thread suggests so I guess that's what I will
go with. I'm in Canada and I don't believe (could be wrong) that
Impex sells from here so I'll probably just buy a NAPA filter locally.

I've also been mulling over going with the Cat 2 filter but have not
yet seen any definitive evidence it results in better performance in a
TDI so will probably pass at least for now.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post673861

Al
(My 2000 Jetta TDI averages 50 mpg...in winter...at 75 mph. Lets see the
hybrids do that!)

Indeed.

Laurie Forbes

Gunluvver2

$18 ("NAPA" brand made by Wix). I don't want to waste money but OTOH
don't want to play Russian roulette with my fuel pump and injectors.

Which one should I buy??

It probably doesn't make any difference which one you buy but how you install
it can make a BIG difference. When you put on the new filter make sure you
lubricate the O-Ring outer seal properly. Fill the new filter as full as
possible with clean fuel and follow manual instructions for bleeding the
system.

DL
JR North

Big deal...my '79 diesel Rabbit gets 60 mpg at that speed.
Plus, it has the 10 gal aux fuel tank. Cost me $200 to buy
with a ring-seized engine in '86.
How much did your TDI cost?
JR
Dweller in the cellar
No fair pointing out your TDI will blow me away. But, I'll
match my '84 Jetta TD against it...

Al
(My 2000 Jetta TDI averages 50 mpg...in winter...at 75 mph. Lets see the
hybrids do that!)

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Gunluvver2

What would you suggest for lube - just a little engine oil or lube
grease?

I think either would be fine as long as it was clean and you didn't use too
much.
Dennis
Alan Raisanen

Hehheh... one of my ultralight buddies has one of those older Rabbits too.
Great cars that seem to keep going forever. It's hard to find these diesels
in NY state though, so I got the Jetta when the opportunity presented
itself.

Do you have to clean all the coke out of the Rabbit intake manifolds on a
regular basis? Just did mine at 120K. Ick.

"JR North" wrote in message
Big deal...my '79 diesel Rabbit gets 60 mpg at that speed.
Plus, it has the 10 gal aux fuel tank. Cost me $200 to buy
with a ring-seized engine in '86.
How much did your TDI cost?
JR
Dweller in the cellar
No fair pointing out your TDI will blow me away. But, I'll
match my '84 Jetta TD against it...

Al
(My 2000 Jetta TDI averages 50 mpg...in winter...at 75 mph. Lets see the
hybrids do that!)

JR North

If you're coking up, you are putting around at low RPM too
much. This eventually causes carbon locking of the rings and
loss of compression. See my original post. You need to beat
it more. Go ahead, you can't hurt it. Pull full revs in 1st
or 2nd gear on a regular basis to blow the carbon out.
Keep the air filter clean, and clean out the breather screen
in the valve cover.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

--