Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Old March 20th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

GWE

Ignoramus20942 wrote:
oops

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Misc...-Derusting.jpg

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:24:46 GMT, Ignoramus20942 wrote:

Works quite nicely. About 6-10% acid, about 45 minutes in warm
water. After submersion in acid, I removed the piece, washed it for
3-4 seconds and put into a baking soda bath. Right after that I set it
on top of our electric stove to remove any water by heating.

It remove all rust and mill scale. I have never seen steel of this
color.

Old March 20th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

Be nice, we dont know that was his welding. It could be that he is
teaching his prized rooster to weld.

Old March 20th 06, 09:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

GWE

Patience, Grant. Patience.

That's what he's doing. He'll get better with practice.

Harold

Old March 20th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:05:55 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

GWE

Patience, Grant. Patience.

That's what he's doing. He'll get better with practice.

Harold

Hope I do too. I've done worse than that and had to use the results.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Old March 21st 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:08:57 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

GWE

Cut him a little slack, Grant. He's learning. We told him to
practice, and he's doing it. The welds shown exhibit progress from
earlier examples, and they look to me like they'll suffice for the
job. Nothing sez that learner welds can't be useful.

I've made uglier welds than that and I'll bet you have too, though
you may not remember that far back....

None of us were born knowing how to weld. Welding is learned by
doing. Please don't discourage a guy from doing it.

Ig, you are still far from being a weldor, but you are progessing
nicely. Keep going!

BTW, I also use muriatic acid as a descaler now and then. I prefer
beadblast because it's quicker, but acid works too.