ATV Plow Plans

Old March 18th 06, 02:43 AM posted to alt.rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

Default ATV Plow Plans

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

--
Steve

Old March 18th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:43:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveC" quickly quoth:

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

I'll bet there are two or three on the FarmShow CDs.
Try a search on www.farmshow.com (bottom of left column)
25 hits!

--
"I'm sick and tired of having to rearrange my life
because of what the STUPIDEST people *might* do or
Old March 18th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

"SteveC" wrote in message
Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

--
Steve

huh. never thought to ask here about it. i've been wanting to build a snow
pusher (similar to one of these http://www.curtiscabs.com/Snow_Pushers.html)
for a kubota compact tractor.

Old March 18th 06, 04:22 AM posted to alt.rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

"SteveC" wrote in message
Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Are there any in stock at the local dealers? Take your tape measure, scratch
paper and measure it up. I've done that with quite a few projects. I'm used
to the funny looks I get (I get funny looks anyway) :-)

Old March 18th 06, 01:32 PM posted to alt.rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

Steve,
Depending on how you value your time, you cannot build one for what
they can be purchased for.

Bob

Old March 18th 06, 02:45 PM posted to alt.rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

really. So you've built one? If I could afford one, wouldn't you think I'd
have one bought already??
My time is free, so that's not an issue. Materials I can get for free or
really cheap.
And it's the satifaction of building yourself. Have you ever built
something?

--
Steve
ups.com...

Old March 18th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a
steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow
blade bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock
with a sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real
cost can be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on
hand, value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go
ahead and build it.

As for the ATV plow, I built a 36" blade for my old garden tractor. Used
a section of steel from a discarded 80 gallon water heater. Lower edge
was a peice of angle iron with three rows of hard surfacing bead for a
wear edge. Made 4 pieces of 1/4" stock in an arc to give the blade some
rigidity. Tractor was small enough that I did not need to make the blade
pivot and spring load it like the bigger units. Depending on your use
and ATV weight, you may need to add this feature. Tractor had a convient
front mount plus an existing mower deck lift arm so all that was
trivial. An ATV will need to have all this added. Would I build another
for my newer tractor? See next paragraph:

Go see your ATV dealer with tape measure in hand. Make notes, take
pictures. And while you are there, ask if they have any used or damaged
plow units. $100 for one with a few dings but includes the mount,
undercarraige, and lift mechanism would be a great deal.

Old March 18th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveC" wrote in message
Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

--
Steve

I built one for my Arctic Cat 300 4x4. If you want some pics email me at
. (no o's) I used a piece of dump truck
plastic bedliner for the plow. It is light and the snow doesn't stick to it.
Steve

Old March 19th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

"RoyJ" wrote in message
If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a
steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow blade
bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock with a
sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real cost can
be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

I work in a welding/machine shop, so equipment is at my disposal. And we
always have loads of excess metal lying around.
We have a metal roller, so I can get a blade made in a few minutes.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on hand,
value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go ahead
and build it.

Thanks, I think I will try and build it myself!! :-)

Old March 19th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

Well, your snippy response to someone who suggested buying versus
building could have been tempered with "I work in a fabrication shop,
have access to all the equipment AND shop excess scrap". Makes a big
difference. Most of the hobbist types do NOT have the access, would
have different plans.

SteveC wrote:

really. So you've built one? If I could afford one, wouldn't you think
I'd have one bought already??
My time is free, so that's not an issue. Materials I can get for free or
really cheap.
And it's the satifaction of building yourself. Have you ever built
something?

The End of Pensions -- But Keep Voting for Republicans as You Spend Your Golden Years in a Cardboard Box on the Street Cliff Metalworking 175 November 7th 05 08:17 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 05 08:30 AM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 04 09:16 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM