DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ATV Plow Plans (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/149596-atv-plow-plans.html)

SteveC March 18th 06 03:43 AM

ATV Plow Plans

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

--
Steve

Larry Jaques March 18th 06 04:33 AM

ATV Plow Plans

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:43:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveC" quickly quoth:

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

I'll bet there are two or three on the FarmShow CDs.
Try a search on www.farmshow.com (bottom of left column)
25 hits!

--
"I'm sick and tired of having to rearrange my life
because of what the STUPIDEST people *might* do or

William Wixon March 18th 06 05:12 AM

ATV Plow Plans

"SteveC" wrote in message
Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

--
Steve

huh. never thought to ask here about it. i've been wanting to build a snow
pusher (similar to one of these http://www.curtiscabs.com/Snow_Pushers.html)
for a kubota compact tractor.

bBob March 18th 06 05:22 AM

ATV Plow Plans

"SteveC" wrote in message
Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Are there any in stock at the local dealers? Take your tape measure, scratch
paper and measure it up. I've done that with quite a few projects. I'm used
to the funny looks I get (I get funny looks anyway) :-)

[email protected] March 18th 06 02:32 PM

ATV Plow Plans

Steve,
Depending on how you value your time, you cannot build one for what
they can be purchased for.

Bob

SteveC March 18th 06 03:45 PM

ATV Plow Plans

really. So you've built one? If I could afford one, wouldn't you think I'd
have one bought already??
My time is free, so that's not an issue. Materials I can get for free or
really cheap.
And it's the satifaction of building yourself. Have you ever built
something?

--
Steve
ups.com...

RoyJ March 18th 06 04:42 PM

ATV Plow Plans

If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a
steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow
blade bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock
with a sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real
cost can be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on
hand, value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go
ahead and build it.

As for the ATV plow, I built a 36" blade for my old garden tractor. Used
a section of steel from a discarded 80 gallon water heater. Lower edge
was a peice of angle iron with three rows of hard surfacing bead for a
wear edge. Made 4 pieces of 1/4" stock in an arc to give the blade some
rigidity. Tractor was small enough that I did not need to make the blade
pivot and spring load it like the bigger units. Depending on your use
and ATV weight, you may need to add this feature. Tractor had a convient
front mount plus an existing mower deck lift arm so all that was
trivial. An ATV will need to have all this added. Would I build another
for my newer tractor? See next paragraph:

Go see your ATV dealer with tape measure in hand. Make notes, take
pictures. And while you are there, ask if they have any used or damaged
plow units. $100 for one with a few dings but includes the mount,
undercarraige, and lift mechanism would be a great deal.

its me March 19th 06 12:11 AM

ATV Plow Plans

"SteveC" wrote in message
Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

--
Steve

I built one for my Arctic Cat 300 4x4. If you want some pics email me at
. (no o's) I used a piece of dump truck
plastic bedliner for the plow. It is light and the snow doesn't stick to it.
Steve

SteveC March 19th 06 06:27 PM

ATV Plow Plans

"RoyJ" wrote in message
If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a
steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow blade
bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock with a
sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real cost can
be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

I work in a welding/machine shop, so equipment is at my disposal. And we
always have loads of excess metal lying around.
We have a metal roller, so I can get a blade made in a few minutes.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on hand,
value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go ahead
and build it.

Thanks, I think I will try and build it myself!! :-)

RoyJ March 19th 06 06:35 PM

ATV Plow Plans

Well, your snippy response to someone who suggested buying versus
building could have been tempered with "I work in a fabrication shop,
have access to all the equipment AND shop excess scrap". Makes a big
difference. Most of the hobbist types do NOT have the access, would
have different plans.

SteveC March 19th 06 06:43 PM

ATV Plow Plans

Snippy? Not really, just reacting to your first response, like I didn't
know anything about metal work.

Anyway, no good arguing about it. Life is too short!!

Later man.

--
Steve
ink.net...

digitalmaster March 19th 06 07:37 PM

ATV Plow Plans

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve,
Depending on how you value your time, you cannot build one for what
they can be purchased for.

Bob

Why do you want to act like an ass???You came here for peoples advice..then
jump them when they give it to you.

SteveC March 19th 06 10:09 PM

ATV Plow Plans

Because people are giving me attitude. Nobody has even answered my question
at all. If I wanted advice on whether I should build one myself or buy one
commercially, then I would have asked that question.

Buy my question was, Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?
It's not a difficult question to answer. If you have plans, say yes, I have
plans and share them, if not, don't respond or respond with , no, but you
find them here.

See my point?

--
Steve

The Nolalu Barn Owl March 20th 06 04:46 AM

ATV Plow Plans

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:09:47 GMT, "SteveC"
wrote:

Because people are giving me attitude. Nobody has even answered my question
at all. If I wanted advice on whether I should build one myself or buy one
commercially, then I would have asked that question.

Buy my question was, Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?
It's not a difficult question to answer. If you have plans, say yes, I have
plans and share them, if not, don't respond or respond with , no, but you
find them here.

See my point?

Stick around Steve. Attitude abounds on the USENET

Anyway, I don't have any plans. What I can offer is this. We bought
a Honda 3-wheeler and it came with a plow that was described as
homemade.
I can takes some pics for you and post them to my website and give you
the URLS if you wish. I will try and include a tape measure for
reference to inches and feet.

Hope this helps

SteveC March 20th 06 06:00 AM

ATV Plow Plans

That would be awesome, thank you for your effort.

--
Steve
"The Nolalu Barn Owl"

The Nolalu Barn Owl March 21st 06 02:45 AM

ATV Plow Plans

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:00:52 GMT, "SteveC"
wrote:

That would be awesome, thank you for your effort.

You are quite welcome.
I am not going to be able to do it until Friday because we plan to
leave for a few days vacation @ 5 AM tomorrow and it is already dark
now tonight.
I WILL do it -- please be patient :)
-
Regards
Gordie

[email protected] March 21st 06 04:24 PM

ATV Plow Plans

Steve,
Yes, I build things in my shop all the time. However I do value my
time and I try to build things that are unique, fun to build,
something that I have a specific need for, or for a paying job. I
look at common items and estimate what they can be purchased for, vs.
the time and material to build. Then I make a "make or buy" decision.
We HSM'ers all do that to one extent or another. It just depends
where you set the bar. If you have the tools, materials, time, and
desire, go for it.

Good luck

Bob

Speechless March 21st 06 11:58 PM

ATV Plow Plans

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:43:31 GMT, "SteveC"
wrote:

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Real men don't need no steenkin plans. If you have the ATV, use a
measuring tape on it.

For the blade, get a length of 1/4" wall x 30" diameter pipe, cut a
section out of it lengthwise.

For the plow frame, get some square tubing and look at a photo of an
ATV plow frame, right he

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...br=5953M&tM=HO

In the photo above, the semi-circular part is a 4" slice of 30"
diameter x 1/4" wall pipe cut in half and then the two halves welded
together.

This should be about all the information you need to get the project
done in a home workshop having just a cutting torch, drill press, and
a buzz box stick welder. Just add some imagination.

its me March 22nd 06 12:04 AM

ATV Plow Plans

wrote:

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Real men don't need no steenkin plans. If you have the ATV, use a
measuring tape on it.

For the blade, get a length of 1/4" wall x 30" diameter pipe, cut a
section out of it lengthwise.

Sounds mighty heavy

For the plow frame, get some square tubing and look at a photo of an
ATV plow frame, right he

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...br=5953M&tM=HO

In the photo above, the semi-circular part is a 4" slice of 30"
diameter x 1/4" wall pipe cut in half and then the two halves welded
together.

This should be about all the information you need to get the project
done in a home workshop having just a cutting torch, drill press, and
a buzz box stick welder. Just add some imagination.

Don't forget a chop saw or band saw.

The Nolalu Barn Owl March 25th 06 04:16 AM

ATV Plow Plans

wrote:

That would be awesome, thank you for your effort.

Hi Steve,
Sorry for the delay.

http://my.tbaytel.net/nitesky/plow/index.html

The Nolalu Barn Owl March 26th 06 03:44 AM

ATV Plow Plans

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:37:59 GMT, "SteveC"
wrote:

Wow, thanks for the detailed pics. This will definitely help me build my
plow!!

You are quite welcome Steve.
My father used to say "Why buy if you can make". He would think
nothing of whipping out a tape measure and notepad in Sears and then
going home to make a copy. More than once he bought something, took
possession of it long enough to sketch up some detailed plans and then
would return it for a refund.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your project :)

-
Regards
Gordie

grassStain April 26th 06 01:00 AM

ATV Plow Plans - "Copy of Nov 2002_0057.jpg" 56.4 KBytes yEnc

wrote in message news:p3s3g.1078$o81.417@edtnps90...
Here are some pics of my snow plow.

Don't be posting your photos to a non-binary news group.

If there's something you'd like to show, post them on a server and provide
the link here.

Larry Jaques April 26th 06 05:44 AM

ATV Plow Plans - "DSC00032.jpg" 52.8 KBytes yEnc

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:54:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Here are my latest pics. You will notice no more hinge up front. The wear

Agent accepts yenc encoding but none of your pics show up ad viewable
here. You're still doing something wrong, dude. It's best for you to
post them on your website (or a picture site) and we can view them
there.

Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?"
----------------------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

Gunner April 26th 06 12:28 PM

ATV Plow Plans - "DSC00032.jpg" 52.8 KBytes yEnc

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:44:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:54:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Here are my latest pics. You will notice no more hinge up front. The wear

Agent accepts yenc encoding but none of your pics show up ad viewable
here. You're still doing something wrong, dude. It's best for you to
post them on your website (or a picture site) and we can view them
there.

Simply put em in the drop box

Gunner

Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?"
----------------------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Winston April 29th 06 10:10 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:54:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Here are my latest pics. You will notice no more hinge up front. The wear

Agent accepts yenc encoding but none of your pics show up ad viewable
here. You're still doing something wrong, dude. It's best for you to
post them on your website (or a picture site) and we can view them
there.

Simply put em in the drop box

Gunner

What he said.