Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default Why is this like that?

Metal content. Whatever's still made out of metal in today's cars.

Probably hearing and seeing all the news buzz about gasoline prices
triggered this question, and I wonder if there IS a single good answer
to it?

My inquiring mind wants to know....

Why my last car had it's gas filler on the left rear fender, and my
latest one has it on the right rear fender? Glancing at cars around me
in traffic, it seems the distribution of right and left seems about equal.

Is there a method to this madness? I can't thing of an engineering
reason for the seemingly arbitrary right-left location of the fill caps.

So far I've had these thoughts about the subject:

In the USA, almost all passenger cars are left hand drive and I expect
that the majority of self serve gas pumping is performed by the driver.
Thus, a gas filler location on the left side of the vehicle gets the job
done with the fewest footsteps, so why does my latest car have it on the
right?

A car population with a roughly equal left-right distribution should
improve the chances that you'll find a gas station lane with a pump
available on the side your car's filler is on. (That ignores the
possibility of pulling the nozzle and hose across the car to reach a
filler on the other side. I remember doing that years ago, but don't
recall seeing it done anywhere recently, and don't even know if today's
typical hoses are ong enough to do that anyway.)

I suspect the "behind the rear license plate" filler is fasy becoming a
relic of the past.

Thoughts or answers guys?

Jeff (Whose first car had its gas filler a couple of inches in front of
the center of the windshield. It was a '31 Model A Ford. G)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Headrick

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
My inquiring mind wants to know....

Why my last car had it's gas filler on the left rear fender, and my
latest one has it on the right rear fender? Glancing at cars around me
in traffic, it seems the distribution of right and left seems about
equal.

Is there a method to this madness?

Generally it is on the opposite side as the exhaust. So why are
exhausts distributed right and left? As a driver I would prefer them on
the passenger side :-).

- Bob Headrick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Get an old jag xjs. Gas caps on both sides. Exhaust on both sides as
well??
But recall '60s Merkin cars, gas cap behind the license plate.
But the Boxster has the exhaust dead center. Which kind of reminds me of my
goddamm sitting on my chest and then raising his tail..... Exhaust indeed.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
My inquiring mind wants to know....

Why my last car had it's gas filler on the left rear fender, and my
latest one has it on the right rear fender? Glancing at cars around me in
traffic, it seems the distribution of right and left seems about equal.

Is there a method to this madness?

Generally it is on the opposite side as the exhaust. So why are exhausts
distributed right and left? As a driver I would prefer them on the
passenger side :-).

- Bob Headrick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote:
(clip) Jeff (Whose first car had its gas filler a couple of inches in front
of the center of the windshield. It was a '31 Model A Ford. G)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff, what was really neat about that was the gas gauge. It was in the
middle of the dash--a glass window that allowed you to see the dial, which
was connected directly to a float in the tank.

BTW, the gas gauge on our '29 Graham Paige was a yardstick, which my mother
would shove down the filler pipe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:23:42 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

In the USA, almost all passenger cars are left hand drive and I expect
that the majority of self serve gas pumping is performed by the driver.
Thus, a gas filler location on the left side of the vehicle gets the job
done with the fewest footsteps, so why does my latest car have it on the
right?

Those are for fat people. No really. You'll never see skinny people
with a gas filler on th' pasengers side. Face it Jeff, th' salesman
where ya bought that car figures you need to lose a few pounds.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote:
(clip) Jeff (Whose first car had its gas filler a couple of inches in front
of the center of the windshield. It was a '31 Model A Ford. G)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff, what was really neat about that was the gas gauge. It was in the
middle of the dash--a glass window that allowed you to see the dial, which
was connected directly to a float in the tank.

My memory is a little dim, but I think I remember that when the tank was
partially full you'd see the fuel/vapor interface sloshing around behind
the glass when the car was moving.

And it had an inlet "fuel filter" which was a closed bottomed screened
cylinder about 6 inches long right under the filler cap. Whatever you
poured through the filler opening passed through the screen.

BTW, the gas gauge on our '29 Graham Paige was a yardstick, which my mother
would shove down the filler pipe.

Sing to the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean"......

My Bonnie looked into the gas tank,
The depth of its contents to see.
I lighted a match to assist her,
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Buy a car with the filler on the right if your passenger is doing the
pumping :-)

As a former full service filling station attendant I saw every gas cap
location.
My favorites were the old VW beetle--inside the front trunk and the '56
Chevy--the left turn signal folds down.

Fred
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I've heard that the filler is on the left to make gas station operations
the same as the road, ie keep right. The problem with that is that
there is a higher probability of damage to the left side of the car via
sideswipes and damage to the filler on that side.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in available
space.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Then there are the chebby trucks with dual tanks and a filler on both sides
... how handy is that??

.net...

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in available
space.

That's what I would have thought. Though, I wonder what's back there that
could make one side specifically more favourable than the other?

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:48:24 -0400, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .

An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in available
space.

That's what I would have thought. Though, I wonder what's back there that
could make one side specifically more favourable than the other?

Regards,

Robin

Exhaust pipe routing, spare wheel well. A car with a
transverse-mounted engine is assymetrical to begin with, that could
affect economical exhaust pipe routing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to ff :

[ ... ]

As a former full service filling station attendant I saw every gas cap
location.
My favorites were the old VW beetle--inside the front trunk and the '56
Chevy--the left turn signal folds down.

What about the Caddys -- 1959 was it -- which had the filler cap
under one of the tail lights up on those big fins? It was hinged to
give access to the filler cap.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wood Butcher

Hmmm. If that were true wouldn't we still have pickups
with the gas tank in the cab behind the seat and Ford
still making the Pinto?

Art

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in available
space.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:31:21 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote:
(clip) Jeff (Whose first car had its gas filler a couple of inches in front
of the center of the windshield. It was a '31 Model A Ford. G)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff, what was really neat about that was the gas gauge. It was in the
middle of the dash--a glass window that allowed you to see the dial, which
was connected directly to a float in the tank.

And when the tank was nearly full, you could see the line formed by
the surface of the gas,between the glass and the dial drum.

BTW, the gas gauge on our '29 Graham Paige was a yardstick, which my mother
would shove down the filler pipe.

Mother's '57 VW had a wooden dip stick and if IRCC a toe operated
valve to utilize the last gallon in the tank (don't forget to flip it
back up after you gas up.)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Wood Butcher wrote:
Hmmm. If that were true wouldn't we still have pickups
with the gas tank in the cab behind the seat and Ford
still making the Pinto?

Art

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in available
space.

'54 Landrover pickup - gas cap (and tank) under passenger's seat.

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
Wood Butcher wrote:
Hmmm. If that were true wouldn't we still have pickups
with the gas tank in the cab behind the seat and Ford
still making the Pinto?

Art

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in

available
space.

'54 Landrover pickup - gas cap (and tank) under passenger's seat.

Ken.

But the SWB Landrover Series 1's had the petrol tank and filler under
the seat for a very good reason - to stop the locals nicking the
petrol! Remember they were mainly exported to some very dodgy parts of
Africa in the 1950's. They also had a very wide filler cap (3" iirc)
so you don't need a funnel with a Jerry can.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Sing to the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean"......

My Bonnie looked into the gas tank,
The depth of its contents to see.
I lighted a match to assist her,
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.

I liked this one and modified it a bit for a .sig.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
In the USA, almost all passenger cars are left hand drive and I expect
that the majority of self serve gas pumping is performed by the driver.
Thus, a gas filler location on the left side of the vehicle gets the job
done with the fewest footsteps, so why does my latest car have it on the
right?

I have been told by a member of the SAE that the automakers try to
globally balance out left-fuel and right-fuel cars, mostly for the
reason you suggest:

A car population with a roughly equal left-right distribution should
improve the chances that you'll find a gas station lane with a pump
available on the side your car's filler is on. (That ignores the
possibility of pulling the nozzle and hose across the car to reach a
filler on the other side. I remember doing that years ago, but don't
recall seeing it done anywhere recently, and don't even know if today's
typical hoses are ong enough to do that anyway.)

Every time I rent a car on a trip, I never think about looking for what
side the filler is on UNTIL I get into the gas station. I believe this
is the real reason: to make it take longer for me to put gas in rental
cars. A couple of rental car companies put a little sticker on the
dashboard telling you what side the fill is on.

I seem to recall a Chevy Chase movie (Vacation?) where the filler
location (and it's unfindability behind the license plate) was a major
gag.

Tim.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa

Wood Butcher wrote:
Hmmm. If that were true wouldn't we still have pickups
with the gas tank in the cab behind the seat and Ford
still making the Pinto?

I recently read an auto review where the vehicle, a sort-of mini-SUV
where the back seats folded down all the way to the floor and the cargo
space in the rear was this giant rectangle going all the way to the low
floor. The tank was underneath the front seats.

I think it's too bad that so much media/legal attention was put on the
Pinto and pickup tank locations. Yes, they were compromises. But if
automakers aren't allowed to make a single compromise in design, then
we won't have any automakers!

Tim.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Get an old jag xjs. Gas caps on both sides. Exhaust on both sides as
well??

There is something appealingly excessive about have two filler caps and
two exhausts. It reminds me of some of the big, bad American cars which
sadly seem to be going out of fashion. I always thought the Americans
knew how to design cool cars, but now they're turning out little dull
rounded cars just like the Europeans and the Japanese. It's a pity. Long
live the Lincoln Town Car :-).

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

ff wrote:
As a former full service filling station attendant I saw every gas cap
location.
My favorites were the old VW beetle--inside the front trunk and the '56
Chevy--the left turn signal folds down.

Ditto, and the '57 which was in the left tailfin.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Don Foreman wrote:
An explanation I've heard is that gas tanks are among the lowest
priorities in an auto design, so they make 'em to fit in available
space.

Sure seems to be working out on those Crown Vic police cars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:39:13 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Get an old jag xjs. Gas caps on both sides. Exhaust on both sides as
well??

There is something appealingly excessive about have two filler caps and
two exhausts. It reminds me of some of the big, bad American cars which
sadly seem to be going out of fashion. I always thought the Americans
knew how to design cool cars, but now they're turning out little dull
rounded cars just like the Europeans and the Japanese. It's a pity. Long
live the Lincoln Town Car :-).

Chris

They're still here - it's just that nobody can afford to feed the
beasties anymore. See the origin of the term "Giving them a gift of a
White Elephant".

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are limousine
companies, police and sheriff's departments and octogenarian retirees
that want BIG.

Taxicab companies buy the well-used Crown Vic police cars at
auction, paint them yellow, and finish thrashing what's left of the
life out of them.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

wrote:

[...]

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Chris

I wish that the Mk. I MG Midget/Mk. II A-H Sprite was still available: I
enjoyed getting 55+ MPG from my '62.

Now considering a Mini-Cooper "S". grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:35:37 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are limousine
companies, police and sheriff's departments and octogenarian retirees
that want BIG.

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Not true; I doubt that it ever was. But by all means, don't let that
stop you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

No. What they want is Fast.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are limousine
companies, police and sheriff's departments and octogenarian retirees
that want BIG.

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Not true; I doubt that it ever was. But by all means, don't let that
stop you.

It's no doubt a cariacature we enjoy here in England. As I mentioned, I
saw only a small number of Town Cars last time I was in the US. But it's
a cariacature we have some affection for. People here wish our fuel was
as cheap as yours, even if yours is slowly rising.

Slowly????

For the last couple of weeks it's been rising like it was hydrogen
already, and without a container around it...G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Finney

wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are limousine
companies, police and sheriff's departments and octogenarian retirees
that want BIG.

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Not true; I doubt that it ever was. But by all means, don't let that
stop you.

It's no doubt a cariacature we enjoy here in England. As I mentioned, I
saw only a small number of Town Cars last time I was in the US. But it's a
cariacature we have some affection for. People here wish our fuel was as
cheap as yours, even if yours is slowly rising.

What Americans do want is choice: and if they want to buy big, they want to
be able to!

In Europe, a hundred miles is a long distance, in the US, a hundred years is
a long time. Taking the family to go visit the grandparents who live 400
miles away is hard enough in a Town Car, I'd hate to do it in a Mini!

Remember why your fuel is as expensive as it is! Americans will slowly
adapt to biodiesel and ethanol, and our fuel prices will come back down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Finney

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Slowly????

For the last couple of weeks it's been rising like it was hydrogen
already, and without a container around it...G

Jeff

Ah, but what is the actual price? Ours is about 95 pence per litre here.
If I've done my calculations correctly that's $7.47 per US gallon. I'm
sure yours is still cheaper than that. If I remember correctly, a guy I
was working with in the US in 2002 was complaining he was paying $1.80 a
gallon :-).

We complain anytime it is above what it was the first time we put gas in our
first car ($0.35 a gallon for me), it's kind of a National sport.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

wrote:
I thought every American wanted BIG?

Chris

No. What they want is Fast.

Gunner

Big fast Cheap

Pick any two

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

[...]

Judging from the number of spam ads for "male enhancement products" In
my incoming email every day, the sellers of those products appear to
share your opinion.

Not to worry, there's someone for everyone...

A skinny old maid from Verdun,
Wed a short-penised son-of-a-gun.
She said, "I don't care,
If there isn't much there,
God knows that its better than none."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are limousine
companies, police and sheriff's departments and octogenarian retirees
that want BIG.

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Not true; I doubt that it ever was. But by all means, don't let that
stop you.

It didn't stop me.
I just bought a Lincoln TC, 19 years old in great shape and I love it. Like
a Lazy Boy on steroids and wheels.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

wrote:

[...]

Americans want it big and fast. It just depends on the sex. Women want
big men. Men want fast women.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are limousine
companies, police and sheriff's departments and octogenarian retirees
that want BIG.

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Not true; I doubt that it ever was. But by all means, don't let that
stop you.

It didn't stop me.
I just bought a Lincoln TC, 19 years old in great shape and I love it. Like
a Lazy Boy on steroids and wheels.
Tom

Good for you, Tom! I hope you enjoy it. At 19 years old, is that the
classic squarish '80s model? If so I love the styling of that car. I saw
a red one when I was over in the US and thought it was great. You might
as well spend money on a car you're going to enjoy, right?

All the best,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch

Christopher Tidy wrote:

The only people buying Crown Victorias and Town Cars are
limousine companies, police and sheriff's departments and
octogenarian retirees that want BIG.

I thought every American wanted BIG?

Chris

Wrong twice. You didn't think, and not every American wants a big car.
My requirement is room for two deer and gear and a Subaru Outback
Sport handles that just fine.

David