Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Karle Lathe Spinning Tools and Dual Use Spinning/Storage Cabinet

I posted this request in rec.crafts.woodturning earlier but would like
some additional suggestions so I am posting here also.

I recently purchased a Karle spinning lathe from a friend...EXCELLENT
small metal spinning lathe.

It weighs a bit over a hundred pounds so it is still managable in terms
of portability...much like a Jet/Delta midi lathe...just heavier.

Unfortunately the lathe did not have any spinning tools with it. What
spinning tools would the group recommend to purchase and where would
you buy them?

Also with a small shop, I wish to make this lathe "portable" to store
it when it is not in use. Any suggestions for a good combination lathe
storage and spinning stand?

I do have the same table available that the lathe came with but it
takes up a lot of room...room
that I would like it to share with other tools. That is why I would
like to have a portable storage solution available so it can be stored
when not in use and also be available for demos at workshops.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I made all my spinning tools myself as that was fairly easy for me to do
and at the time I started around 1998 I hadn't found any sources for
them. Terry Tynan does a very good DVD about spinning and covers the
making of tools so you could ask him if he is still selling them.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Who is Terry Tynan?

Do you have a link?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On 10 Mar 2006 20:03:11 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I recently purchased a Karle spinning lathe from a friend...EXCELLENT
small metal spinning lathe.

A handy little guide - worth the read
http://prl.stanford.edu/documents/pdf/spinning.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Terry Tynan is the guy that runs the http://metalspinningworkshop.com
that you posted on and he responded to your query about the Karle
Spinshop lathe. He is probably too nice a guy to push his own DVD. I
expect if you queried tool making or looked at the appropriate section
of the forum you might find some info. As he and some of the others are
experienced they should be able to give better advice as to what you may
require than myself although if required I could post some pics in the
dropbox of my tools. An example of tools made for a purpose as required
I think Terry has acquired this collection from various sources
http://metalspinningworkshop.com/boa...topic.php?t=74 .
My tool selection was based on the basic information I found on the www
some years ago and from books but has been enhanced by more specific
information recently which gave actual dimensions so providing a sense
of scale. My original tools were a bit short so made some of the work
harder than necessary but fortunately I was able to lengthen them
without complete rework. Very much horses for courses though as the
original tools were fine for small work but made larger work harder,
this like many things would just lead to a selection of tools being made
to suit the job at hand if justified.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Who is Terry Tynan?

Do you have a link?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks David...I was unaware of Terry's last name and did not make the
connection.

You are right...from his comments he comes across as a nice guy. I will
check into the DVD you mention.

You also make a good point about the scaling of the tools. I have been
looking for that type of information but have found it lacking in most
discussions. I realize that it does differs depending on the size of
work but there seems to be little discussion on it. Being I have the
Karle lathe, I have been trying to find out what the appropriate size
of tooling is for that lathe with an eye towards going to larger work
in the near future.

Does anyone know what tools were originally included with the Karle
lathe?

Also hasn't anyone built a portable lathe stand/storage cabinet sized
for the midi lathes?

TMT