Harry

Default Need advice on lathe purchase.

I am going to buy a small lathe for fabricating some R/C parts. This is my
first lathe purchase. I am considering the Central Machinery Precision 7 x
10 mini-lathe. I stopped and looked at one at the local H.F. store and it
seemed, well, just okay....for the price($400), I think it will do what I
want. I then spotted the next model up- a geared head 9 x 20 for $600. What
is the groups opinion of these machines? Would I be better off to spend
about a grand($1000)? Originally I was going to buy a 3-n-1 but decided that
I would be better off buying separate machines(lathe,milling machine etc). I
am on a budget(aren't we all?) and am willing to trade long term reliability
for a cash savings now. I am only going to be making parts for myself and a
couple buddies. Any advice will greatly appreciated!

Alan Raisanen

Where are you located? Some areas have decent amounts of used stuff for
sale. Look at the swap sheets, you might get lucky.

I have a buddy with one of the HF 7x10 minis. Its real basic, granted, but
in the hands of someone competent it can turn out decent work. Good if space
is a problem also, although I dont think I would want to do too much
threading with it. Aluminum, plastics, some steel seem fine, just use good
cutting tools and stay within the limits of the machine.

THis guy is flying airplane parts he made with this 7x10 lathe. Not R/C
though, he is in the plane along for the ride.

I found my monarch 10EE locally for only $1200. It was a beast to get home,
and then there was the whole 3-phase thing to deal with but if you've got
the room, its definitely worth the effort to look for some older experienced
iron.

Al

"Harry" wrote in message
news:8b53f$40281dcf$4523d552$27694@allthenewsgroup s.com...
[...]

Karl Townsend

I found my monarch 10EE locally for only $1200. It was a beast to get

home,
and then there was the whole 3-phase thing to deal with but if you've got

$1200 for a 10EE ?????

Somebody call the sheriff. We've got a crime to report.

I got mine for $4200 and thought I had a deal. The 10EE is simply one of the
best lathes ever made. Just as accurate as a Hardinge (my other most
favorite), but more versatile. I seen where you can now buy factory
refurbished units for $100,000.

Karl

Alan Raisanen

Well, it's sort of an old one. 1937 is what it claims on the plate. Ugly
green. Round gearbox selector plate. Hydraulic variable drive, not electric.
May be the original westinghouse electric motor. Sticky RPM dial. It came
out of the Kodak company toolroom in Rochester, NY apparently. But it works
great, I love it, best lathe I've ever used. Looks just about like this:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/page7.html
except where the electrical speed control is on the left of the headstock, I
have a big round handwheel that turns a hydraulic valve down inside to
adjust the speed. Smooth! Last thing I used it for was to make an electrode
for a plasma etcher at the university I work at, used to make micromachines.
Very satisfying, a tool born in 1937 still gainfully employed making
fixtures used to make devices measured in microns!

Al

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
link.net...

I found my monarch 10EE locally for only $1200. It was a beast to get

home,
and then there was the whole 3-phase thing to deal with but if you've

got

$1200 for a 10EE ?????

Somebody call the sheriff. We've got a crime to report.

I got mine for $4200 and thought I had a deal. The 10EE is simply one of

the
best lathes ever made. Just as accurate as a Hardinge (my other most
favorite), but more versatile. I seen where you can now buy factory
refurbished units for $100,000.

Karl

Lennie the Lurker

"Harry" wrote in message news:8b53f$40281dcf$4523d552$27694@allthenewsgrou ps.com...

and am willing to trade long term reliability
for a cash savings now.

You might look at http://www.homier.com
They have a 7 X 12, $300 plus shipping. In the use you describe,
chances are that you'll never wear it out. This is assuming you take
the time to clean it when you get it, take the burrs off the ground
surfaces and make sure everything works freely without binding or
galling. It ain't rocket science. The HF isn't a bad little machine
for the money.

I am only going to be making parts for myself and a
couple buddies.

That's what you think now. Wait.
turnitdown

If you are into using old American iron, I have a 9 X 20 South bend that
came from the estate of actor Steve McQueen. It's 99% complete and works
and with a dis-assembly and re-paint or powder coat would look new- Others
on this board say its worth 6-800.00 As a long term investment its probably
a better buy than a Chinese unit, but you would have to spend a week or two
getting it spruced up before you could start making parts.

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Swinney

" If you are into using old American iron, I have a 9 X 20 South bend that
came from the estate of actor Steve McQueen. It's 99% complete and

works..."

Yeah, I think I saw those missing parts falling out of an airborne car in
one of Steve's movies.

Bob Swinney

news

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

jim rozen

In article .net, Karl
Townsend says...

I got mine for $4200 and thought I had a deal. The 10EE is simply one of the
best lathes ever made. Just as accurate as a Hardinge (my other most
favorite), but more versatile.

Heck, you could probably chuck up an HLVH in a 10EE, and
turn the thing down into a teeny nubbin.

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Peter H.

The 10EE is simply one of the best lathes ever made.

True as for the mechanicals.

A 10EE dc drive which isn't working properly will ruin your day.

Bob Swinney

Yeah, tell me about it, Peter! A friend has a mid-60s model 10EE. I helped
him trouble shoot the electrics - which is why I know what the tube set
costs. Remember I sent you the schematic.

Bob Swinney
"Peter H." wrote in message

The 10EE is simply one of the best lathes ever made.

True as for the mechanicals.

A 10EE dc drive which isn't working properly will ruin your day.

Harry

I'm in N.E. Ohio. Where are these swap sheets? The local HF store has a mini
in the box that was used for 5 minutes(they claim) as a managers special for
$299!

I don't my workshop built yet(could be 2 years)so space is an issue right
now.

Thanks for the response!

Harry
link.net...

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Harry

It looks like basically the same unit, 2 inches longer, but for less money.
The mini-lathe website repeated what you said about cleaning and de-burring
the unit to make it last.

I don't think I'll have to wait too long for the "favors" to start coming
in.

Harry
"Lennie the Lurker" wrote in message
om...
"Harry" wrote in message

news:8b53f$40281dcf$4523d552$27694@allthenewsgrou ps.com...

and am willing to trade long term reliability
for a cash savings now.

You might look at http://www.homier.com
They have a 7 X 12, $300 plus shipping. In the use you describe,
chances are that you'll never wear it out. This is assuming you take
the time to clean it when you get it, take the burrs off the ground
surfaces and make sure everything works freely without binding or
galling. It ain't rocket science. The HF isn't a bad little machine
for the money.

I am only going to be making parts for myself and a
couple buddies.

That's what you think now. Wait.

Harry

I was looking at the next unit up(9 x 20) in the HF store and it did seem
alot more substantial than the mini. But I don't have the room for that size
lathe right now. What is your's missing? And how much does it weigh? Here's
the big one, where is it located?
"turnitdown" wrote in message
news
If you are into using old American iron, I have a 9 X 20 South bend that
came from the estate of actor Steve McQueen. It's 99% complete and works
and with a dis-assembly and re-paint or powder coat would look new- Others
on this board say its worth 6-800.00 As a long term investment its

probably
a better buy than a Chinese unit, but you would have to spend a week or

two
getting it spruced up before you could start making parts.

Harry

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to read over the mini website and
make a decision from there(and from the group). Does the mini-lathe use all
standard tooling? Or do I have to invest in mini tools? Now I know where to
go to when I get ready to buy a milling machine! Which, btw, will be pretty
soon!

Harry

Lennie the Lurker

"Harry" wrote in message news:47318$4029519e$4523d552$17304@allthenewsgrou ps.com...
It looks like basically the same unit, 2 inches longer, but for less money.
The mini-lathe website repeated what you said about cleaning and de-burring
the unit to make it last.

No. It's four inches longer, the HF is really a 7 X 8. It's quiet a
bit more weight because of the longer bed. I have one, does fine on
smaller work, but two inch diameter and you're starting to push the
limits on steel. It ain't no hogger, you have to take your time with
it, but it can do very nice work.

Cleaning is a must, it's full of grease to protect it during
shipment, and there might even be some foundry sand still hanging on
to the castings. The corners of the gibs on the cross slide and
compound slide are sharp, right into the corner, and if you take a
swipe down them to break the sharp edge off, they work a lot better.
Tooling can be standard sizes, half inch chuck for the tailstock,
smaller probably better, quarter inch HSS for turning and facing, just
shim to bring to center, or better yet, get rid of the turret and get
one of the quick change tool posts.
Gary Coffman

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:55:55 -0500, "Harry" wrote:
I was looking at the next unit up(9 x 20) in the HF store and it did seem
alot more substantial than the mini.

A 9x20 South Bend is a nice little lathe. The Chinese 9x20 HF and
others sell isn't a nice little lathe. In fact, in the opinion of many here
the Chinese 9x20 is the worst of the available import machines (poor
design). If you want something in that size range, buy something
else.

The little mini-lathes sold by several vendors are better values, the
12x36 and 14x40 Chinese machines are *much* better machines,
though of course the latter take up more room and cost more money.

Gary
Stan Schaefer

[...]

There's a number of different models of this lathe around, the 7x10 is
a 7x10 only if you remove the tailstock, the 7x12 is more like a 7x14
if you do the same. This is a good size if you've got a restricted
working area and have to move it around frequently or put it on a
shelf when not in use. It's about the max that I want to sling
around, I can upend it over the trash can to dump chips. The spindle
is about the same size as a 9" Southbend inside, has a #3 Morse taper.
It cuts threads out of the box, unlike the Sherline and Taig, and the
bed design is more like larger lathe practice than the model lathes.

Currently, the best price on a 7x12, if you have to go mail order, is
the Homier, see their web site. Homier also has roving tool sales,
see if they'll come to a town near you sometime, that's the best way
to get one. Harbor Freight stores run frequent sales, I got my
original 7x10 new for $225(a hell of a deal at the time), two months
later, Homier started up with the 7x12... Check out
www.littlemachineshop.com for accessories and parts. They also have
had stretch bed kits if you locate a used 7x10 and want the larger
bed. The 7xs are kind of a crap shoot, some folks get lucky and get
one that works well out of the box, like mine, other folks have a lot
of troubles, some caused during shipping. It's nice to be able to get
problems resolved locally rather than having to ship masses of iron
back and forth. There's some sites and lists dedicated to the 7xs,
one list is on Yahoo, they've discussed most of the common problems
with the machines and their fixes.

I've looked into the 9xs, the guys that bought them fix them up, but
out of the box you've got no tumbler reverse on the leadscrew on the
ones I've seen and the spindle thread is something odd, you can't cut
your own backplate threads for chucks and tooling. I also didn't have
the room for one.

Nothing wrong with good American iron if you can get it, the trouble
is, that most of the places I've lived, it's been scarce and very
over-priced. Also you've got to have a place to put it, more-or-less
permanently.

Stan