Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default ball bearings spec table

Why not go to the local auto supply. They have bearings and can order anything.
We used to buy our disk drive bearings and got the correct spec - they had the books.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus9035 wrote:
This is not for me, it is for my friend, who does not use usenet. He
needs some bearings and he wants to find standard industry
designations (like 6011, etc). I checked machinery handbook and did
not find that sort of table, even though it talks at length about
bearings.

He needs some 1" ID by 2" OD bearings. I know that McMaster has them,
but he (and I) is not sure whether there are different specs. And he
is hoping he can find a better deal on ebay if he knows what codes to
look for. He wants to basically make a wood shaper that would spin at
23,000 RPM. (!).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:02:19 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Why not go to the local auto supply. They have bearings and can order anything.
We used to buy our disk drive bearings and got the correct spec - they had the books.

Yabbut, he wants to spin a 1" shaft of indeterminate length between
centers at 23K RPM, and he'll probably want to hang some sort of a
planer head and replaceable knife-sets off that shaft - and that's a
LOT of centrifugal force to be experimenting with. The ball bearings
are the least of his problems...

If he gets his math wrong on the forces involved, or the shaft
straightness and balance isn't perfect, the whole thing can grenade in
the operator's face. And if you haven't guessed, that is bad. ;-)

I'd go buy a planer that's the right size for the job as the basis
for the 'custom machine', even if he has to make modifications to the
infeed and outfeed or build a buck to hold the blanks of whatever he
plans to run through it. Costs a bit more, but it'll be a turnkey,
factory balanced, and therefore reasonably safe (*) machine. And you
can buy replacement parts and knife sets off the shelf.

(* Stuff Happens, but the odds are a lot better.)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545