Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default ball bearings spec table

http://www.bardenbearings.com/
You have too use precision bearings here at at least $100 a pop. But in
reality, you don't want 23krpm here. Either get a video camera or a
Powermatic commercial shaper 'cuz this is a disaster in the making. I've
shop built a number of big-ass shapers, up to 20hp, and you are headed down
the WAY-wrong path. What do you want to shape?

"Ignoramus9035" wrote in message
This is not for me, it is for my friend, who does not use usenet. He
needs some bearings and he wants to find standard industry
designations (like 6011, etc). I checked machinery handbook and did
not find that sort of table, even though it talks at length about
bearings.

He needs some 1" ID by 2" OD bearings. I know that McMaster has them,
but he (and I) is not sure whether there are different specs. And he
is hoping he can find a better deal on ebay if he knows what codes to
look for. He wants to basically make a wood shaper that would spin at
23,000 RPM. (!).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Tell him to get a router table and a good 1/2" router.

"Ignoramus9035" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:36:06 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
http://www.bardenbearings.com/
You have too use precision bearings here at at least $100 a pop. But in
reality, you don't want 23krpm here. Either get a video camera or a
Powermatic commercial shaper 'cuz this is a disaster in the making. I've
shop built a number of big-ass shapers, up to 20hp, and you are headed
down
the WAY-wrong path. What do you want to shape?

It is not for me, it is for my friend. For the record, I also thought
that 1" shaft at 23k RPM is scary. He wants to shape wood for certain
musical instruments (he makes them for a living).

"Ignoramus9035" wrote in message
This is not for me, it is for my friend, who does not use usenet. He
needs some bearings and he wants to find standard industry
designations (like 6011, etc). I checked machinery handbook and did
not find that sort of table, even though it talks at length about
bearings.

He needs some 1" ID by 2" OD bearings. I know that McMaster has them,
but he (and I) is not sure whether there are different specs. And he
is hoping he can find a better deal on ebay if he knows what codes to
look for. He wants to basically make a wood shaper that would spin at
23,000 RPM. (!).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:33:14 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Tell him to get a router table and a good 1/2" router.

YES!

Tom is absolutely correct.

Btw..there are usually high speed spindles for just this purpose on
Ebay with some regularity.

Gunner

"Ignoramus9035" wrote in message
. ..
[...]